We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    alfie_1 wrote: »
    forgot to say.... that's a fair size squash you've got there dave....;)
    Yes they are big beggars. Unfortunately, squash weren't included in the schedule for the Village Show, so I could've had some wee ones too, like Waltham. Still, at least I don't have 80+ to pick! :D
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Forget the squash... I want to know why he whitewashes his lawns! :D

There speaks a man who hasn't left his grass long all summer and then cut it hard back in one fell swoop of the ride-on! ;)

Not much going on here. I was determined to give Mr Conservatory no more wriggle room, so I took his crummy diagram, blew it up to a more sensible size, annotated it, including where it was still wrong, and sent it back. :p

Trouble is, that took ages!

Apart from that, I began work on the new fireplace, quickly discovering that I know too little to do much at present......so here's a picture of the granite we looked at t'other day.....and
    probably won't be having....:o

2ikbnnm.jpg
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    One of my 'rescue' orchids

wp_20160926_19_39_48_rich.jpg
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Greenbee, that's how it is in the country; in fact you're lucky if you can get an email address for your boiler guy. Mine doesn't have one that he gives out to customers, and almost everyone has periods of being strangely unreachable on their mobiles. I've seen them look when they beep and then stuff them back in their pocket. ;)

It's a bit easier now it's dark at a reasonable hour, because at least he and the plasterer will probably be at home and indoors by around 19.30, rather than tending their animals.

I'd contact the plasterer now if I was sure what's going on; I have a living room needs doing in the winter.....:)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are very few oil engineers round here, as most of the villages have gas. And so one lot have been incompetent, one lot annoying and one never turned up. This guy is good, but not particularly local, so I need to keep an eye out for someone else ready for next year. For this year I do want to get the failed expansion tank sorted, and the additional one that should have been put in when the system was installed added on. But I'm beginning to wonder whether I could just get the plumber to do that... seeing as he needs to come back and drain and refill the system and add inhibitor.

I'm beginning to think that a freestanding kitchen might be the way to go. That way I can put it together a bit at a time. And the just move it out of the way when we finally get to the floor/ceiling stage of proceedings. I'd just need to put in a unit for the eye-level oven. And work out how where and how to put the gas hob in.

Neither aga company has emailed, so I think I might give up on that. Any other ideas as to what I can do with the old boiler chimney that is now redundant and starts in the ceiling of the utility room? Could I run the extractor fan up it? I'll also have to think about whether the kitchen will be warm enough without it, as there is no radiator in there. Then again, there hasn't been for the past three years!
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alfie - did the dog get rehomed? Its owners found?

Lovely video of Lola CTC - how lovely she looks.

Not much to reprt here, been lazy as weather isn't too great. Really not done much outdoors this year garden wise. Haven't even picked my apples, but did make currant jam.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Alfie - did the dog get rehomed? Its owners found?

Lovely video of Lola CTC - how lovely she looks.

Not much to reprt here, been lazy as weather isn't too great. Really not done much outdoors this year garden wise. Haven't even picked my apples, but did make currant jam.

hiya choille..
    sorry your weathers not great.. its changing here, its mizzley rain today and leaves are starting to fall...
    re the dog.. no one came forward even after putting on national dg lost sites and having over 2000 shares [ which equates to many 1000's of views] so I definitely think it was dumped :( I kept it till the Monday [wanted my postman to see it as they know most dogs in the area ;) ] then handed it the dog warden who assured me it would go to a rescue centre after 7 days to be rehomed if not claimed.... checked yesterday [7 days]and no claim..
    I did my best ! many many offers of a home tho ! bet the warden / rescue will take their phone off the hook !!!

I seem to be very tired this last week, hope its just cos ive been hectic...

off to see my LIR next weekend to catch up on how mare and foal doing and for bimble to see his 2nd mummy ;)
  • choille
    Options
    How lovely for all the animals in your area Alfie that they have you on look out for them.
    Glad the little doggie has plenty of offers of rehome.
    Some fierce weather here early morning - we are getting what was forecast for a couple of days ago when they cancelled all the ferries.
    We have started to get the wood oak beams laid outside as decking & they look good - I think - difficult to know as it's mainly the frame for them at the moment with two beams on top just to see. Very chunky & weathered. It's so slow getting anything done it's depressing as we are now into Autumn.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    How lovely for all the animals in your area Alfie that they have you on look out for them.
    Glad the little doggie has plenty of offers of rehome.
    Some fierce weather here early morning - we are getting what was forecast for a couple of days ago when they cancelled all the ferries.
    We have started to get the wood oak beams laid outside as decking & they look good - I think - difficult to know as it's mainly the frame for them at the moment with two beams on top just to see. Very chunky & weathered. It's so slow getting anything done it's depressing as we are now into Autumn.

its a good job really that I didn't win the lottery as I would buy a whole lot of land with a whole lot of barns / outbuildings and fill it with a whole lot of animogs !!:D id probably be living in caravan but hey ho ;)
    I wish I could do more but I have to be practical... albeit the odd one slips the net :rotfl:

been dry here today , peek of the sun, but def cooler .. autumn is a comin' folks..
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    Battening down the hatches for the 1st Atlantic depression, 50mph forecast for 5am tomorrow. Chucking it down now but just going to bring in some pot plants to the conservatory

This'll likely flatten all the late perennials like asters; what a dire season this has been in Scotland. :( Still it's being so cheerful that keeps us going.
  • choille
    Options
    Dreadful weather here, but had a house survey to do & loads of boring paper work.
    Last night we came home about 10 pm & there were small branches all over the road-littered with them.
    There was a bird outside the kitchen window fluttering as if keeping on trying to get inside - hairy cat was going mental - throwing himself at the glass. I can only think that the bird was blown out of a tree - it was not there in the morning, so I hope it is safe. Funny it should be doing that in the dark.
    Got the stove lit.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure