We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We didn't get to clean at HW's. Her sons have come down to sort a few things (hurrah!) and the Outlaws sprang a visit on us too, arriving early on Saturday but with good intent. BiL finished the tricky tiling in the bathroom, so now we just have to do the easy bit and grout. :D

Fabulous day yesterday, but we waited-in for the other fireplace/chimney guy, who rang on Saturday to arrange an afternoon visit.... He didn't show. :mad:

Deb'n innit? :undecided
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    That would be the Speckled Wood, which is one of few doing well.pararge_aegeria18.jpg

That's the one, lovely photo :)

We have a very sorry looking male blackbird in the garden at the moment. Bald head and a manky looking eye. I've thrown some food out, not really sure what else I can do for it :(

Glad things seem to be happening with HW, Dave. It's great that you, your DW and neighbours have been looking out for her.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Davesnave
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »
    That's the one, lovely photo :)

We have a very sorry looking male blackbird in the garden at the moment. Bald head and a manky looking eye. I've thrown some food out, not really sure what else I can do for it :(

Glad things seem to be happening with HW, Dave. It's great that you, your DW and neighbours have been looking out for her.
    Blackbirds come back to the garden around now. I've never worked out where they go in the summer.

We saw a flock of about 7 greenfinches this morning, which is the first sighting for months. With this leg disease that's hitting them, they are in short supply....and dwindling. :(

HW is having eyes looked at and hearing sorted. It can be sorted, so it's just been her stubborn choice to be deaf for years. However, it's got so bad now, communication with everyone else is really suffering. When it comes to the eyes, there isn't any hope of a cataract op, unless or until her health improves.

Our builder will be back soon, which means we have to clear-out DW's den, ready to turn it into a dressing/linen room instead. Never a dull moment here! :rotfl:
  • pink_poppy
    Options
    Our blackbirds seem to be here all year round. I think they know they're onto a good thing with our neighbour throwing mountains of food out for all and sundry :D I think they're supposed to head South (from here) and we get the Scandinavian blackbirds?? Might just be making that up though.

Trying to communicate with someone who is deaf and refusing hearing aids is a nightmare. I used to come away from my Dad's with a splitting headache :(

I love the way that you're recycling things as you go, Dave. Like the shed roof. I hate throwing things out & I'm always looking to see how I can re-use things.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    pink_poppy wrote: »

I love the way that you're recycling things as you go, Dave. Like the shed roof. I hate throwing things out & I'm always looking to see how I can re-use things.
    Yes, but the problem is that many things need to be stored for years until they become useful somewhere. I really don't know what I'd do now without a 60' barn! :o

I think the new shed will come along fairly quickly. I was going to buy one and put it close to where the old one was, but now the space is empty, I can see it would be better placed elsewhere. :)

I can only build rectangular things with simple roofs, so that's what it will be. I have about half a million old roofing battens, so if it ends up looking ugly, I can hide it behind trellis, covered in clematis! :D

Fireplace man didn't contact us and we have no number to ring him. Looks like someone else who doesn't want to travel into the back of beyond to work here.....:(

Having another barbecue while I still can. When the legs fell off, I had to put ours in a wheelbarrow, but that works really well, because I can chase the last of the sunshine, wherever it is! :rotfl:
  • Davesnave
    Options
    OK just a quick one :cool: :

PP you'll be pleased to know that today I am making a new back doorstep......

.... using slabs we inherited when we bought our last house in 1987! :rotfl:
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lazybones, sitting in the sun... ...sing along, now...

P1020160.jpg

Whole lotta sleeping going on, whilst we clean up around them... quietly!

Beasts of burden. Hah. Burdensome beasts more like! :D:D
  • pink_poppy
    Options
    :j See, you knew those slabs would come in handy all those years ago, Dave!! Ps. I wish I had a 60' barn to store things in, although my DH is probably thankful that we don't :o

Love the pic of the lazy donks, Dafty :T

Hope our absent daydreamer friends are ok...
  • Davesnave
    Options
    P1020160.jpg

Is that you pressure washing the white horse? Whoever it is has a pink wheelbarrow, just like us. :D

Speaking of pink, someone turned up with lots of pink fluorescent feathers today, which can only mean one thing: the P word is about to be mentioned.....:eek:
    Fortunately, they were also carrying two of these as a peace offering :cool::WHITE%20ECHIUMS.JPG
  • pink_poppy
    Options
    You've obviously got better eyesight than me, Dave, I didn't see anyone in the background of Dafty's pic until you pointed them out :o This is why I have a magnifying glass ~ Mrs Magoo :o

What on earth are those plants in your pic?? They look like triffids!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure