Natwest Technical Issues

Options

Comments

• innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I'm sure its quite easy to double the number of people normally working on a Saturday, offering overtime to the usual Mon-Friday workers could easily generate the necessary number of people/

Fair enough, they can pull in extra staff over the weekend on overtime, but I still can't see how that would "double their usual call centre staff". Also, would doubling up over the weekend be good enough? I note they don't say for how long this arrangement is in place.
    Offshore tech resources can be bought in and doubled when needed and then reduced later. It's the way these offshore resource centres work on project packs.

Yes sure, but that's quantity, not quality. Last thing Natwest customers need right now is phone 'support' from CS staff not 100% familiar with Natwest , and 100% empowered to deal with crisis calls.
  • suburbanwifey
    suburbanwifey Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Options
    emweaver wrote: »
    DH hasn't had his either and because we are not a Natwest customer we can't even claim back the returned DD fees etc or ask for the emergency cash by proving his wages are due to go in.

Same here. We bank with FD and his employer is with NatWest, so as wages gone through NatWest, none of the company (hundreds of people) have had any pay.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    Fair enough, they can pull in extra staff over the weekend on overtime, but I still can't see how that would "double their usual call centre staff". Also, would doubling up over the weekend be good enough? I note they don't say for how long this arrangement is in place.

Yes sure, but that's quantity, not quality. Last thing Natwest customers need right now is phone 'support' from CS staff not 100% familiar with Natwest , and 100% empowered to deal with crisis calls.

Not all the Call Centres are normally over the weekend therefore I would imagine some arrangement has been made for them all to be open over the weekend.

Plus Natwest & RBS staff are mutli skilled so im sure some of the calls are being diverted to RBS call centres.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 23 June 2012 at 8:17PM
    Options
    A post from the Telegraph.co.uk website that just maybe appears to shed at least some light on the current issues:

It has taken Hester since Tuesday evening to say anything at all about this disgrace, by far the worst retail banking IT disaster in my lifetime. But he'll run, as best as his oversized frame will allow, into the Radio 4 Today studio to defend his salary and bonus. Hester infamously said his own parents were embarrassed by his excessive pay - well now his parents can be excessively embarrassed by his infamous incompetence too.

RBS is still trying to spin this as a computer failure (i.e. a disk broke, etc.), whereas it is a combination of a massive strategic error made by the RBS Board (offshoring) and utter incompetence (employing incompetents to run a huge bank's IT and change processes). And, until all the backlog is safely processed, this isn't sorted. RBS says it knows what caused the problem, and thinks it is fixed, but it won't know until it catches up. Which will probably take 24 hours or so.

NatWest sacked 1,800 highly-trained and experienced UK IT staff, the last having left a few weeks ago. NatWest now has virtually no staff who understand how its banking systems work in the UK or employed by it. All the 'work' and 'testing' is now carried out by 800 'contractors' in India. The replacements have demonstrated they do not have a clue what they are doing.

Who, out of the senior management which signed this off, who thought 'IT is not at the heart of what we do, let's outsource it', who decided 'these guys in India know what they are doing' is going to take responsibility for this fiasco? I am also perplexed about how the FSA thinks holding a banking licence is compatible with being unable to produce balances for a week.

If you're a customer, these are the two questions you need answered next week:

1. Is NatWest/RBS going bring the design and maintenance of its IT infrastructure back to the UK and under its control?

2. Has Susan Allen, Director, Change and Business Services, responsible for 'Transformation Programme across the Retail Division encompassing all channels and functions. Establish Lean capability. Ensure services provided by Business Services (IT, Ops, Property) support delivery of the objectives of the RBS UK Retail, Wealth and Ulster businesses' resigned yet?

If the answer to either question is no, move your accounts to another bank next week. If you can, if the systems are working again before the next IT disaster. Frankly, businesses should just move their accounts in any case.

PS The problem was caused by a botched 'upgrade' to the CA7 batch scheduling suite and the loss of the schedule. There is, of course, no RBS employee left in the UK who understands this properly any longer.

PPS Those current NatWest adverts demonstrating the ease with which money can be transferred using a smartphone look pretty ridiculous now, don't they?

Telegraph.co.uk
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    No people are going to need all there charges refunded that they may have incurred.

Does this include non Natwest customers?
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    Is anyone seeing any accounts updating yet? Bet the !!!!!! apply the charges quick enough.
  • stclair
    Options
    falko89 wrote: »
    Is anyone seeing any accounts updating yet? Bet the !!!!!! apply the charges quick enough.

Charges are automated they will be refunded if any get applied to your account due to transactions that should have happened over the past few days.
  • snoozysnoopy
    Options
    A few..well many posts back someone asked that if their money was due to go in on Monday (but always receives on a Saturday as Natwest does each week) and can they still get a payment over the counter tomorrow?

Well I am paid the same way and went to the bank this morning and got a payment over the counter and was only asked for my bank card and how much did I need up to the amount of £300 (as long as I had the funds to cover by salary/or benefits etc.. when problem was sorted) HTH's

All branches are different so please take with you evidence of payments etc, what happened to the person who posted quite far back about not being given any emergency funds who was on benefits was disgusting as that person needs money more then anyone but I think that was just one cashier that was acting with ignorance and should be reported as that was very wrong. My branch has been fantastic in dealing with this crisis.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Latest from the Ulster....
    We appreciate that this technical issue is having a significant impact on many of our customers, their businesses and the customers of other banks and we unreservedly apologise for this. We are continuing to work around the clock through the backlog, however it is taking longer than anticipated to do so.

To help as many of our customers as possible, we will have 20 Ulster Bank branches open tomorrow across Ireland, Sunday 24th, from 10am to 1pm. It would be helpful if customers could bring identification and their account details with them. We will continue to post regular updates here.

We recognise this is an unacceptable inconvenience and we want to reassure customers that if they experience charges as a result of this issue they will be refunded. Once again we would like to unreservedly apologise.

So not fixed then??..................
  • stclair
    Options
    emweaver wrote: »
    Does this include non Natwest customers?

Im not sure what the process is at the moment for non RBSG customers sorry.. However im sure a process will be put in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family