PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry TW I didn't absorb all the detail of your post before replying . The joy of multitasking .
    Borh FPk and monna have some good advice . It isn't good enough to not have your concerns listened to . This is a two way process and things have worked in the past and you are owed advice and support .
    Totally off point but I would be really worried about the amount of cash that lad has . That's an issue waiting to happen .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 August 2017 at 7:37PM
    Options
    Thank you, FPK, we tried fudge brownies & sweet reason on day two, and got the eye roll! He skates just this side of unacceptable; he's careful to be back before the company's curfew, for example, and the other two boys are thoroughly enjoying being led astray, so are not complaining at all, though their parents may when they get back no wiser, at least not in English, than they went! He seems to be very impressed with things like supercars, TV-walls and shiny gadgets, none of which we have (or want) and the youngest boy has an even larger wad of cash, so is his best mate. (Pollyanna, that worries me too. And they don't seem to have any idea of the value of it; I was handed about 15 £50 notes and asked if they were all OK, as some of them were "different"; I had to explain to him that the two sides are not the same, so I don't think our 12 y.o. handles cash much at home.) The middle boy gets a bit left out; the son of scientists, he arrived clutching his Rubik's Cube, and generally has to hurtle up the road to keep up as they'll leave him behind without a moment's hesitation, but of course he doesn't want to be left out. It's more that my OH has to get up for work at 5.30, and one night they were still watching "scary movies" at quarter to three, and the girls, one of whom sleeps directly above them, need their sleep too. And they are completely doolally in the mornings, needless to say.

I think I might try again with the company. Someone with some actual clout needs to read him a bit of a riot act and threaten him with being sent home early. NurseMaggie, I could ring his father as it happens; G00gle's a big help like that... however I can't help hoping that his mother is having a lovely break!
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TW - I recall my parents having a student that sounded much like this one they asked for him to be moved to give the others a chance. He went to a place on his own and with no one to show off too he buckled down.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thriftwizard--in that case I'd go straight to the company and let them know he is not only disrupting the experience of the younger boys but disrupting your family life by not respecting household rules--it isn't ok for them to keep the family awake at night.

It might also be worth mentioning to the company/organization more generally that they might want to re-think their advice on cash. The Germans I know all carry a fair amount of cash compared to here and it might be that the suggestions need to be updated so that parents have a better idea of what to send the students with.

Silva--missed seeing the thing about your £20 note. I lost my bank card the same way a couple of months ago. I remembered exactly what I'd bought and everything just forgot to pull the card out of the chip and pin. No one handed it in. Fortunately I was able to cancel with no ill effects but I felt pretty disappointed someone had kept it. Sorry about the £20
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thriftwizard I think if he was mine I would want to know what he was up to. I also think you have a right not to have your family totally disrupted. His parents may be very strict and he would not behave like this at home.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    TW, sorry to hear about your problems, no helpful suggestions I'm afraid, but I used to have foreign students staying and once had a 12 year old girl who could have passed for being 25. She sneaked out of the house and went to a local nightclub, She then caught a taxi home, only for he driver to be a neighbour of mine, so he woke me up a 3am when he bought her home so I knew what she was up to.
    The agency were no help, just shrugged it off, I ended up getting the police involved, they scared her into staying away from the clubs. I had visions of her irate parents turning up on my doorstep because she had got pregnant!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thriftwizard, I hope that the organisers are supportive. They should be as you have obviously never had problems before. Do let us know how you get on.

Nursemaggie. What wonderful news about your DS. You both deserve some good news and its been a long time coming. Enjoy the hobnobs.

Silvasava. I think we've all probably done something similar. I left £50 in the atm outside our little co-op in the village. It was 2 weeks housekeeping for me and I didn't realise until I went to pay the bill in the shop. I was in a terrible state but the lovely lady at the cash desk took hold of my hands and told me that someone had brought it into the shop. She said that it happened from time to time but the money was nearly always handed in. I guess that things are different in a village.

I've had an interesting day. My viewer came this morning and was very enthusiastic. She asked if she could bring her husband to see the house. Of course she could. This evening they were both back. A lovely young couple with a baby who was absolutely edible. They've gone off saying that they will be in touch. We'll see.

Millie was so funny. She accompanies viewers round the house. I'm waiting for her to count the spoons when they've gone.

Fuddle, sorry, yes the family sort of moved out into a house further into the village about a month ago. There is still a lot of their stuff here but DS comes back every day or two and takes another car load. They left Millie with me as they thought that a strange house might freak her out. Well that is what they said but they are renting a fairly small bungalow and I think that having Millie AND Dora there might have been the last straw. I am loving being on my own. It's the first time in my life that I haven't been responsible for anyone else and it's great. I get up when I like, go to bed when I like, eat when and what I like and don't have to nurse anyone else's ego.
    So far, so selfish!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    monna The best is eating what you like and having no one say I don't like that.

I'm wondering how I am going to get on with these 5 am starts because DS will be getting up at 4 am so he will want his dinner early and I won't be ready.

Actually I may lose some wight because I do not want to nibble if I have an early tea.

I rather think your DS left Millie to look after you. She must be doing it if she accompanies viewers around the property.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations to your son Nursemaggie. It sounds like Aldi are a good company to work for and that he has got a job with prospects. I hope you both enjoy the hobnobs.

Silva - I'm sorry about your £20. I couldn't take money that wasn't mine like that. I would just feel so guilty that I couldn't live with myself.

TW - I hope that the organisers are helpful if you talk to them about the boy.

monnagran - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you with your viewing.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    silvasaver and all who have had the shock of leaving cash in the machine . The only very small positive is you generally never do it twice . I left my debit card but not the money in my banks local branch a short while ago . I don't know how I managed it as I always take my card out and then the cash appears . Luckily I realised when I checked my purse and walked back down into the branch . As I walked in the cs guy grinned and said you've saved me running after you . I check and check again now .
    TW I'm hoping you all get some sleep tonight and you get some decent engagement from the organisers .
    NM What time will your son need to eat? After his initial training my son worked very varied shifts over 12 week rotas . When all four were at home I cooked all meals from scratch . Sometimes he'd eat with us and other times I'd put his in the fridge for later . I always had stuff I'd batch cooked in the freezer and some ready stuff for the times he was home in the early hours .
    I'm not a fan of microwaves but we always had a combi used mainly as an extra conventional oven when cooking a lot . He often reheated his food on microwave . I think because they did it with their lunches at the station he got used to it .
    I know you're short of space both storage and cooking wise so you need to find a way to suit you both .
    monna I'll keep everything crossed again , have to watch which way the wind blows as I've always been able to cross my eyes and my mum used to say I'd stick like that if the wind changed .
    pollyx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure