The SayNoTo0870 Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is a delay, until when no one knows, it is more than likely that it will not happen, so the scam will continue!
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• twoten
    Options
    I notice more and more companies are transferring to these numbers.
    what really hacks me off are the ones that give extremely poor service and then expect you to pay a premium to call them to get it sorted out, once you call the number you end up in a queueing system just to be cut off after about 12 minutes. After several attempts you get an answer phone message because they've gone home. I wouldn't like to name the company but they
    'D'rive 'H'uge 'L'orries!
  • jamesn77qs
    Options
    Surely the worst case of an organisation using 0845 numbers is the DHSS

many people trying to claim may not have a landline and so will pay even more in a phonebox or via mobile
    The pensioners fuel allowance claim line was also a 0845 one!

what for? all so the govt could save a few fractions of a penny, charging people it intends to pay money to many more pence than theyve saved.

No need to worry though some telco somewhere will be coining it as a consequence.
  • Mark_W_7
    Options
    How about a bit of good news? BT Scraps all 0870 and 0845 numbers for it's helpdesks

Mark Wilkin - BT Support Forum Community Coordinator
    https://www.bt.com/forums/
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mark_W wrote: »
    How about a bit of good news? BT Scraps all 0870 and 0845 numbers for it's helpdesks

Mark Wilkin - BT Support Forum Community Coordinator
    www.bt.com/forums/

If you really want to give some good news,implement the point made in post #2 from THIS THREAD and include the calls in ALL packages, it should cost nothing for the 0845 as you have reduced them to under the cost of 01/02/03.
    BT started this rip off trend and now "seems" to want to end it, if so then do it and stop messing about!
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• jonathon_hart
    Options
    BT scrapping charges for customers to call BT is a good start - long way to go though to get rid of all of them though.
    I have worked for 5 years as a Pension Administrator and then a further year in a non-administrator pension role. I am not (and never have been) an adviser. Do not take anything I say as advice, it is information given on the best of my knowledge.
  • stingray01
    Options
    As a small business I use the conventional landline and then a freephone 0800 ...... My clients can choose either to contact me. Have been using freephone number for about 8 years and the cost to me from my supplier is extremely reasonable. I would not use any of these 'rip off' 0870 numbers for my clients. They appreciate the freephone number gesture and my business is thriving.
    New guy on the site... it looks very good.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Welcome to the MSE forums stingray01.

Spread the word!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • funky_monkey_4
    Options
    I am really fed up...everytime I have to call someone, its either 0845, 0870, or 0871, 0844.....

So now I just look them up on the say no to 0870 website, it has certainly helped. I have even added a few of my own numbers on that site to help others,. Its a brilliant site.:j

Sky I have to say is the worst culprit for their 0870 numbers, however, luckily I have found a geographical number, and even a freephone number for Nationwide ha ha!!!

Of course, I have logged them all into my mobile phone because you never know when your going to need them. Like Alton towers and Thorp Park, added those as I am visiting there soon enough!!

Thanks Martin for helping us be aware of how to avoid these dredfall numbers!!!:money:
    exercise that booty!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Sky I have to say is the worst culprit for their 0870 numbers, however, luckily I have found a geographical number, and even a freephone number for Nationwide ha ha!!!

Of course, I have logged them all into my mobile phone because you never know when your going to need them.
    Beware - dialling freephone numbers from a mobile is expensive.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure