8 week old Puppy is sick - what to do?

Options

Comments

• inspirespirit
    Options
    keeping fingers crossed that pup gets over this. Please keep us updated.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 June 2011 at 1:23PM
    Options
    I too am one of those "dreadful" people who do advocate getting a pup from a breeder of pedigree dogs WHO CONFORMS TO THE BREED STANDARDS OF THAT PARTICULAR BREED. Having two KC pedigree dogs and just putting them together does not a good breeder make! One should be aware of all the health problems in the breed, make sure that both dogs are tested clear of them before even contemplating breeding.

In 50 years or so of breeding, I think I've bred 7 or 8 litters or thereabouts. I only bred when I myself wanted a pup - and I was always very very careful about where my puppies went - I put a lot into each breeding, and wanted only the best for my puppies - and in all instances, I got it. And that is what good breeders do - you can't expect to get a puppy from a good breeder without going through a thorough questioning - after all - would you let your children go just anywhere, without finding out more about the person to whom they were going apart from "oh, I just lurve puppies".

Taking a dog into a family is, hopefully a 12-15 year commitment - and a lot of people would chose their toothpaste with more care than a dog!

To the OP - your friend's only redress may be through her local Trading Standards Authority - they will know whether there have been other complaints about that particular breeder. Too often, commercial breeders can appear very respectable and business like - but their methods leave much to be desired.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    The insurance friend took out commonly doesn't cover any illness during the first two weeks.

Pup was bought on Tuesday, insured on Wednesday, fell ill on Thursday so your silly comment about the 'excellent vet having time to do a full history on a Saturday afternoon' is totally redundant.

This explains why the quote is so reasonable - I'm glad she's got insurance in place, however, any similar conditions (and certainly all the treatment for this one - even if it continues over the 2 weeks) will be exempt.:(
    suki1964 wrote: »
    What I dont advocate nor never will are people saying my pet is wonderful Im giving her a litter and just pick any dog to service her and churn out a litter of pups in the hope of making big money quick

Couldn't agree more!

Started out catching up on this feeling really positive that the wee one was picking up, now I'm worried again.

Keeping everything crossed that she pulls through.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    Awaiting 3pm update but so far puppy on drip as potassium and something else (?) was very low.
    Probably caused as a result of all the fluids she lost both ends.
    Unless a miracle occurs she won't be home tonight and if the gastro enteritis has caused a bowel problem (does small bowel going into big bowel sound right?) then they will have to operate.
    I will find out how to post pics of the little beauty so you can see her.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, do you mind me asking how your friend came upon this "breeder" if she wasn't actually looking for a puppy? Was it advertised locally, a pet shop, or other? Just wondering how she knew the pups were for sale.

OP said they were advertised in the local paper.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does it really matter? Lets just pray the puppy gets well soon, we have everything crossed here OP I hope you bring us some good news soon. xxxxxxxx
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes it does matter. If it helps someone else looking for a pup comes across this thread in the furture they'll have more of an idea of the sort of things unscrupulous breeders do to make themselves look responsible and will hopefully prevent some other poor pup and owner going through such a ditressing times.

Tea and sympathy teaches nothing.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • jetta_wales
    jetta_wales Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    I too am one of those "dreadful" people who do advocate getting a pup from a breeder of pedigree dogs WHO CONFORMS TO THE BREED STANDARDS OF THAT PARTICULAR BREED. Having two KC pedigree dogs and just putting them together does not a good breeder make! One should be aware of all the health problems in the breed, make sure that both dogs are tested clear of them before even contemplating breeding.

In 50 years or so of breeding, I think I've bred 7 or 8 litters or thereabouts. I only bred when I myself wanted a pup - and I was always very very careful about where my puppies went - I put a lot into each breeding, and wanted only the best for my puppies - and in all instances, I got it. And that is what good breeders do - you can't expect to get a puppy from a good breeder without going through a thorough questioning - after all - would you let your children go just anywhere, without finding out more about the person to whom they were going apart from "oh, I just lurve puppies".

Taking a dog into a family is, hopefully a 12-15 year commitment - and a lot of people would chose their toothpaste with more care than a dog!

To the OP - your friend's only redress may be through her local Trading Standards Authority - they will know whether there have been other complaints about that particular breeder. Too often, commercial breeders can appear very respectable and business like - but their methods leave much to be desired.

Are you suggesting then the OP's friend is not a good enough owner as it sounds to me like the breeder did indeed find a very good owner for her puppy. Or are you suggesting that only pedigree breeders take time and effort in making sure that their puppies do not go to an unsuitable home? A very arrogant and incorrect assumption there indeed.
    "Life is what you make of it, whoever got anywhere without some passion and ambition?
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    Ok, all we're concerned about now is the puppy getting better.

For the last time I will briefly explain what happened.

A dog breeder's own two dogs (the ones she personally has as pets) had a litter of puppies. As they were cross bred she advertised them in the local newspaper. Friend went 'just for a look' as she was thinking of buying a dog in the near future. Friend fell in love with puppy and bought him. All puppies sold and all well except this one.

Leaving aside what the lady who sold them does for a living (after all she could have been a school cook - what difference does it make now) the puppy is sadly poorly and we are all hoping she gets better soon.
    My friend is heartbroken even though she was only her mummy for two days.

I asked a question and it's all gone wildly O/T with people putting their twopennorth worth in about the ins and outs of breeding which had nothing whatsoever to do with my original question!!!!!!!!
  • sophieschoice
    Options
    yes it does matter. If it helps someone else looking for a pup comes across this thread in the furture they'll have more of an idea of the sort of things unscrupulous breeders do to make themselves look responsible and will hopefully prevent some other poor pup and owner going through such a ditressing times.

Tea and sympathy teaches nothing.

read the question i originally asked.

The breeder is not unscrupulous!!!!!!!!
    Her own dogs had pups, she has sold them. End of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure