BT broadband Haggling thread

Options

Comments

• johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2017 at 9:34PM
    Options
    merchcon55 wrote: »
    You can probably save some money if instead of getting Entertainment from BT you get the Entertainment Pack from NOW TV - it wont have every channel offered by BT, but it has the most popular channels. You can easily get 3 month codes on ebay for under a tenner. Similar codes available for KIDS pack around £2 a month.

Plus, you can put NOW TV on multiple TV's in your house - rather than just the one box on BT. So one person can be watching say Comedy Channel, while another watching a Kids channel on another TV.

You can pick up NOW TV boxes for like £15, and they will include a code for 3 months.

I only have BT TV for their basic service - and BT Sport.

haha! me and you on the same page my friend......i was going to add (but didn't think it relevant) that i top this all up with netflix and now tv (i only buy movies and entertainment when they're half price).

You have raised a couple of very interesting points though-

1) i need to compare BT entertainment v Now TV and find out if
    what i will lose and if it bothers me!!

2) need to look adding kids bolt on to Now Tv if i scrap BT
    entertainment.

3) i'm assuming i'll still get BT sport free if i continue with their
    fibre and line rental??
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    johnbhoy10 wrote: »
    Just off the phone to them.

£18.99 line rental
    £7 u/limited fibre infinity 1
    £2.70 w/end and evening calls
    £7.50 ent+ tv
    £4 kids add on.
    Having had my landline with them for 20 years, I wanted to add broadband. Currently on:

£18.99 line rental
    £4.30 anytime calls

They've offered:

£18.99 line rental
    £6.50 anytime calls
    £9 u/limited fibre infinity 1 or £5 u/limited ADSL
    on a 12 month contract

I'm not sure what my chances are of haggling that down a bit more?
    Stompa
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2017 at 12:18AM
    Options
    Stompa wrote: »
    Having had my landline with them for 20 years, I wanted to add broadband. Currently on:

£18.99 line rental
    £4.30 anytime calls

They've offered:

£18.99 line rental
    £6.50 anytime calls
    on a 12 month contract

ps- the reason i'm reluctant to commit to 24 months probably speaks for itself...they are up ther with Npower as possibly the worst company i've ever had the displeasure of dealing with....but they're quite a bit cheaper than the opposition last time i looked.
    I mean imagine coming from Sky Fibre to BT Infinity and losing about a a quarter of your speed. About 10 openreach visits and they're still none the wiser!!

Very similar to me but obv no TV in your deal.....actually i would probably take your deal as it's 12 months and not 24. Was this a recent offer???

Reason i ask is that they made me an offer last month which was approx £2 more but they say that's gone now and the the agent i spoke to tonight WOULD NOT budge on 24 months.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    @ Stompa, it really is a poor deal BT are offering you, you can get Sky Broadband and phone for 12 quid, that's 10 quid line rental and 2 quid broadband, you can upgrade phone package to anytime for 8 quid a month, bringing package up to 20 quid a month and get a £50 cash back from Topcashback - read a few of my posts today on this, with cutback your deal will work out at just over 16 quid per month - Sky deal available from Martin's best broadband deals page and is open for another day or two - I saved quite a bit moving from PlusNet and BT Infinity 1 is capped, which means you are better off with Sky unlimited broadband at between 4-7Mb depending how far you are from the Exchange - if in the sticks do use caution, but this is a good package deal and blasts BT and PlusNet out of the water - Plusnet not interested in haggling, so changed vendor period and have saved more than £72.00 on what Plusnet wanted for lower standard deal.
  • merchcon55
    Options

£18.99 line rental
    £4.30 anytime calls

They've offered:

£18.99 line rental
    £6.50 anytime calls
    on a 12 month contract

I was able to do a little better (but on a 24 month contract) - so perhaps a bit more room to haggle: I do not really worry about the 24 month length as odds are they will raise line rental by £1 (over 5%) at some time, which will be higher than RPI, and grounds to break from contract, if another deal were to become available

£18.99 line rental
    £ 5.50 anytime calls
    £ 6.00 u/limited fibre infinity 1 - we are about 100 metres from the junction box, and get 50-52 Mbps speed at the router as well as at plugged in ethernet boxes. Wireless getting around 30Mbps.

So total of £30.49 per month

The Sky deal via MSE is also pretty good - works out at 18.40 + 8.00 anytime calls + 2.78 (£50 activation fee/18 months) = £29.18 per month.

Note the Sky Fibre speed is shown as 38Mbps - so while a decent enough speed, not quite the same as BT Infinity at 52 Mbps

So the BT deal is slightly dearer, but you also get BT Sports - and if you like Sports, then paying £1.31 extra per month is well worth it.

Overall, having been with BT for a bit over a year now, I find the internet excellent and when I have needed customer service (and while negotiating) found them to be quite good. Maybe lucky, or perhaps on forums like this, people only discuss the bad experiences and not as much the good experiences. Good Luck.
  • Stompa
    edited 10 January 2017 at 1:43PM
    Options
    johnbhoy10 wrote: »
    Very similar to me but obv no TV in your deal.....actually i would probably take your deal as it's 12 months and not 24. Was this a recent offer???

Reason i ask is that they made me an offer last month which was approx £2 more but they say that's gone now and the the agent i spoke to tonight WOULD NOT budge on 24 months.

Yes, it was a couple of days ago.

A letter from BT arrived a few minutes ago, offering to add Infinity 1 and unlimited anytime calls to my existing line rental for an additional £8pm (12 month contract). Sadly, in the fine print it says there's a 25GB usage limit :(
    Stompa
  • Stompa
    Options
    editor1 wrote: »
    @ Stompa, it really is a poor deal BT are offering you, you can get Sky Broadband and phone for 12 quid...
    Unfortunately my broadband is currently with Sky, so as an existing customer they've refused to do any sort of deal. They've just increased my broadband (not fibre) from £7.50 to £12.50, hence why I want to move it elsewhere.
    Stompa
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unfortunately my broadband is currently with Sky, so as an existing customer they've refused to do any sort of deal. They've just increased my broadband (not fibre) from £7.50 to £12.50, hence why I want to move it elsewhere.

Sky's ADSL is £17.40 (line rental only) so is the £12.50 still a discount price? Wouldn't that mean you're still on a minimum term contract?
  • Stompa
    Options
    Sky's ADSL is £17.40 (line rental only) so is the £12.50 still a discount price? Wouldn't that mean you're still on a minimum term contract?
    My contract with Sky has just ended. I have broadband only with Sky, line rental is with BT.
    Stompa
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2017 at 5:01PM
    Options
    Thanks Stompa for doing the groundwork, saves me. :)

I'm in exactly the same position as you. Today I received the exact same BT letter, don't forget, you need to factor in router delivery and also the set up charge if you go for FTTC.

I'm considering moving to fibre and as I've written before, I'm tempted by Origin, but they do not publish their addon prices on their website, and none of their fans on here seem inclined to let us know either.

Stompa don't forget there is also an unlimited Infinity 1 package.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages#fibre
    Move along, nothing to see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family