Cheaper Oil for Fuel?

Options

Comments

• Xbert
    Xbert Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No prosperous New Year in sight for me - not at 45p / litre ! Hope my 1000 litres (£450!!) lasts out to the Spring when prices traditionally start to soften.
  • landgirl100
    Options
    My oil supplier has just written to me to say that all monthly direct debits are to be increased by £25 in February. This brings mine to a whopping £143 per month! I don't have gas and electric heating still seems to be more expensive according to various posts on here. My boiler is over 20 years old and the maintenance man tells me it's on its last legs every year - would I gain anything by having a new one now? I suspect it's cheapest to sit tight and wait for it to break down!
    Landgirl
  • nickmoul
    nickmoul Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A new boiler will cost say £700 to £1200 depending upon size of your house, plus say £200 to fit. Assume total cost =£1200. You are spending £140/month. Expected savings 30% - possibly more - or about £40/month, so payback is about 2 and half years. If its really old and really inefficient then you have to weigh the worry of a major breakdown in the winter. You could be without heating for 1 month, these boilers take time to come and getting a plumber........

Do you negotiate the oil prices with your supplier before you order deliveries? There can be 15p/litre difference from one supplier to another and a phone call to 2 or 3 in your area is well worth it. I save 10% regularly.

Best of luck.

Nick
  • oysterman
    oysterman Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you negotiate the oil prices with your supplier before you order deliveries? There can be 15p/litre difference from one supplier to another and a phone call to 2 or 3 in your area is well worth it. I save 10% regularly.

15p difference:rotfl:, your having a laugh are you not, at todays prices say an average of 43-45p litre you can get it below 30p. More likely you can get a diff off 1-3p at mo.

Best way to save on oil prices is get you and your neighbours to get together as a syndicate & buy in bulk. The more you order the cheaper the price(normally)
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much are people being quoted atm?
    I've got 41.6 ppl. For 1000 litres, its gone down a little bit in the past couple of weeks I think.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • The_Eye_Of_Sauron
    Options
    Just paid £0.4195 from my regular supplier.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just got a new quote from boilerjuice at 41.08 ppl.
    Thats without a buyers weekend, which hopefully will be soon.

Yobco quoted me more last time I asked (than boilerjuice)

So the price has come down a teeny bit, as indicated by the price graph on boilerjuice, the question is, do I order 500 or 1000 litres, who knows where the price is going......... no one thats the problem. Wish I had a crystal ball :D

edit
    Just ordered some at 39.07 from a local supplier.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Lynt_3
    Lynt_3 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here.

I've just ordered 1000 litres heating oil for 42p + 5% vat. from my usual local supplier. I was told it had come down from 49p.

I checked Boiler Juice before I ordered, and they were quoting 51p!!

Does anyone know of a site where I can keep an eye the price of oil?

Cheers
    Lynt
  • ellieuk
    ellieuk Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Just ordered 1000 litres at 39.2p (+VAT)
  • thriftychick
    Options
    Its 46.99p unit price + VAT here. That's the cheapest in our area!
    Just when I'm about to make ends meet, somebody moves the ends
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure