Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Options

Comments

• thegirlintheattic
    Options
    Oh god - they are really difficult to cancel with. Just spend 10 mins on the phone and then had to eventually put the phone down because the guy kept selling me products. Just received the cancellation e-mail though!
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
  • lamarsi
    lamarsi Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for the number, I had the free month trial and I've just cancelled it, I couldn't tell what the woman was saying and I think she got tired of trying to ask me stuff with me going 'sorry I don't understand' in the end she just went 'right its cancelled' ha!!! it was a very weird accent though!!
    get rid of all the pounds by summer !!
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    Was -£8900 NOW-£5000 PAID- £3900
    Get rid of the weight, pay the debt, then get myself a campavan! :T
  • Atomicide
    Atomicide Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Signed up for the "FREE" trial earlier tonight and was charged £14.95 with no warning. Filled in details, then answered the security questions, and the next screen told me I had been charged.

Going to try the freephone numbers tomorrow, because you seem to get through to someone who speaks English properly on them and I do not really fancy the idea of trying to get my refund from someone who may not even understand that I want to cancel.

Can anyone confirm which of the freephone numbers they have used recently so I can see which are still working? If not I'll try them myself and update tomorrow evening for everyone else!
  • msfb88
    msfb88 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aberalex wrote: »
    1. Call 020 7298 3000
    2. Press Option 1
    3. Ask to cancel
    4. Be firm but polite when they try to sell you further products
    5. I said "I am not interested in any further products, thank you."
    6. You will receive an email confirming cancellation within minutes.

This worked perfectly, thank you. The person I spoke to had the weirdest accent I have ever heard and was extremely difficult to understand. I would have ended up with the Identity Watch Lite if I hadn't have come here first and therefore knew to look out for it, because I had no idea what she was saying to me!

Got the cancellation email now though, so thank you very much!
  • rossco26
    rossco26 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Just spent 10 -15 minutes trying to get through Equifax to cancel subscription... luckily I found the 020 number someone has kindly posted otherwise I would be charged a fortune ...... still not through to them.... guessing I am going to face similar issues to others in trying to cancel this useless service as their site is so unmanageable... :(:mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • peter55_2
    Options
    Took the free trial but when cancelling I must have agreed to Identity Watch Lite which was free for 12 months. My credit card expiry date has changed since signing up but even so they have managed to take money from my card without any warning at the end of the free year. I had absolutely no idea this would happen. How did they manage to take money from a card for which they had not been given the expiry date? When you get taken for a ride by a credit reference agency you have to wonder "who are the good guys?"
  • DarkWolf666
    Options
    Beware, I have just checked my bank acount today, and noticed an amount of £2.99 on my account to Equifax. Turns out the free 12-mont trial they offered me, as a "thank you" a year ago has now become live and is being charged for.
    Had quite a heated argument with the lady from Equifax, after getting the phone number from this forum (couldn't find one on the Equifax website) - asked why they couldn't have sent out a reminder e-mail to let me know I was now going to be charged. Evidently that isn't possible, which I told her was rubbish (well I was annoyed by this stage) - I aksed how many other people they have fleeced out of £2.99.
    She asked if I would like to make a complaint, then I was to go onto the Equifax website... well at that point I exploded and told her, politely, what she could do with her website...
    It wasn't the cost involved, it was the sneaky way they applied it, with no notice or reminder - maybe it's my failing memory, but I don't seem to have perfect recall for telephone conversations from a year ago!:rotfl:
  • notwaitingforlotto
    Options
    Well, I checked my bank statement to find this 2.99 taken from my account. I tell you, I was not told of a '12 month free trial' of this 'Identity watch lite' when cancelling my free credit report and so I rang them and told them this. After 3mins of back and forthing, I demanded a refund.
    The lady eventually told me the product has now been cancelled and the £2.99 will be refunded to my account.

It better be. Theives.
  • emma1983_2
    emma1983_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Equifax have taken £2.99 from my account as well after I closed my Equifax account about a year ago. Just had a go at them on the phone and apparently when I phoned them up to close my account I signed up to some identity thing - first I've heard about it. Surely if it was true then I would've received written confirmation of this (how long does it take to send a confirmation email!). It just seems to me they make a small charge after a year of cancelling so that the charge can go unnoticed unless you properly look at your bank statements. They're thieves. Don't trust a company who don't freely advertise their contact details.
  • chrestomanci
    chrestomanci Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    How annoying! I just realised I've been charged too - good job I was checking my bank accounts (as all this was happening on an account I rarely use).

I phoned, got through, and instantly said I was incredibly displeased and wanted to cancel yadda yadda. The woman did all of it, and even refunded me when I asked if it was possible.

Got all confirmation emails through just now. Thank god.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure