PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting for new build to be built and complete

Options

Comments

• Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Delayed for another week. Completion now 27th :sad:
  • -pete-_2
    -pete-_2 Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are stressed @visidigi, remember that it will all be worth it in the end!
    Congrats @Dauphinoise and @osborne88, welcome to the club :)
    @hollpop, Good luck for Monday / Tuesday, hope the move goes smoothly.
    @joshardy07, can you not go and have a look at a show home from the same developer elsewhere? They'll always make a show home the absolute best it can be so you have to take them with a small pinch of salt.
    Sucks that you aren't going to be able to move yourself in @dgtazzman, at least some of the stress should be taken out of it!

Update from us: We snuck on site on Wednesday evening and they had put the stairs in and most of the roof on. Checking again this afternoon we now have the rest of the roof and the windows in! Still no update outside June / July but hopefully they might actually be able to narrow that down in the next few weeks.

Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/x6UUqzcojitgCzoH6
  • chlo88
    chlo88 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all!!!

Seems like everyone's progressing nicely. Welcome to those that have joined the wait.

It has all been quiet for us while they power on with the build. We went to the site this weekend to pay a chunk of our options. We asked how they were getting on etc... They report they're still on track for June. Then the exciting bit she had the keys and let us go in and have a nosy. The plasterboards all done, lights, radiators and smoke alarms in. Both bathrooms are fully tiled wall and floor with sinks, toilets and bath in! This is so much further on than we expected and it all looks lovely. Feeling very giddy at the moment but so fed up of the wait now just want it to be time to move. About 6 weeks left and counting all bieng well!

I have lists and lists and lists but can't do any of them till nearer the time. Hmmmm how to pass the time when not at work.... Have a good day everyone
  • -pete-_2
    Options
    Sounds great @chlo88, can't say I'm not super jelly.

One thing from us, looking again at the photos you can see a black space below what will be our bedroom window, to me (and my OH's Dad) it looks like someone missed counted somewhere along the way and they've ballsed it up!

I've emailed TW about it and they said it was normal and they were expecting a bricklayer to come in and fix it but I'm hoping they don't just shove a horizontal layer of bricks in there and we have a random row of vertical bricks half way down the wall and some odd ones above it.

But then again, I'm not really sure what they can do to fix it outside of taking half the wall out and doing it again or (ideally) get them to install a bigger window.

Either way, I have a horrible feeling this might mess up our completion date
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Went to site for the pre-plaster visit today. Great to see around and get an idea of the size of the house as built. It's looking great and can't wait to move complete. Just a shame I have to wait so long until I can actually move in due to work!
  • Derboy
    Derboy Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    -pete- wrote: »
    Sounds great @chlo88, can't say I'm not super jelly.

One thing from us, looking again at the photos you can see a black space below what will be our bedroom window, to me (and my OH's Dad) it looks like someone missed counted somewhere along the way and they've ballsed it up!

I've emailed TW about it and they said it was normal and they were expecting a bricklayer to come in and fix it but I'm hoping they don't just shove a horizontal layer of bricks in there and we have a random row of vertical bricks half way down the wall and some odd ones above it.

But then again, I'm not really sure what they can do to fix it outside of taking half the wall out and doing it again or (ideally) get them to install a bigger window.

Either way, I have a horrible feeling this might mess up our completion date

Looks like the Brickie has made a boo-boo but it's an easy fix. Don't worry about it.
  • Blue_Cardinal
    Options
    Exciting news - Got a letter yesterday from the developers confirming the date we can move in.

Now we're just carry on the seemingly never ending wait to get our mortgage approved. Hopefully it'll be this week, I know the mortgage company were there last week for the valuation.
  • -pete-_2
    Options
    @Derboy, spoke with them today, they said it was an issue with the windows and they are going to replace it with a bigger one.

They also told me that they have started on the internals and are getting the plumbing and wiring in now, which is pretty positive.

Does anyone know how much longer this will take? Our landlord is wanting a date for us to move and we've got to give her 2 months notice. TW are horribly none committal about the whole thing (we've had nothing outside a June / July window) and we don't know if we should tell her the end of July or the end of August. We could move to my OHs parents in between but I really don't want to move twice in two months.

Any previous experience people have had would be massively appreciated!
  • Chedstog
    Chedstog Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Stumbled across this forum a few days ago and have read about your tears of frustration and joy and thought I'd share our experience too. We are also buying a TW new build in West Sussex, after having a horrific experience with Barretts (thats a long story and most has been forgotten about now thankfully). We saw the house in January (showhome was still being built so went on pictures and imagination) and was able to put a reservation a few weeks later as the plot we wanted hadnt been released. We already had a buyer lined up for our house who didnt have a chain so everything seemed to be a dream situation and everything looked well for exchange 8 weeks after reservation with completion June/July. Sadly our buyer dragged his heels with delaying tactics :mad: that we ended up putting our house back on the market a few weeks ago and found a lovely couple (FTB) who loved our house as much as us. They knew our timeframe and also knew that everything had to be fast tracked - we accepted their offer two weeks ago, everything is in place and are expecting to exchange contracts any day now (happy, happy, happy). everything is still in place for moving in June (same as everyone else - cant wait to move lol). TW have been extremely patient with us and have not once said that we could lose the house as we hadnt exchanged back in March (they know that we are not at fault as we have kept them in the loop all the time).
    OK, practicalities - options ordered have come to a whopping £50k+ but it does include a conservatory:D We cant lurk as much as we would like as the house is a 4 hour round trip drive from where we live but have seen it grow from ground floor, first floor, roof, windows and doors - visits kept us sane during the nightmare of original buyer! Last time we were there they were working on the roads. The certificates should be obtained next week so we are very close to the 10 day notice.
    We have a farewell neighbours and friends party next weekend so it will be quite an emotional time as we have lived in our house for 30 years and brought our family up there.
    We have removal quotes coming in tomorrow - its starting to feel more real now.
    Question: how soon should we let the utility companies know we are moving when we dont have a date yet?
  • mleach101
    mleach101 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Chedstog wrote: »
    Question: how soon should we let the utility companies know we are moving when we dont have a date yet?

Others will be able to advise as well but I can give some advice having just moved out of a rented flat back into my parents' home until my build is completed. Obviously I was also only ending services and closing accounts rather than transferring them over to another property so my experience may not be completely relevant.

I found the process was far easier than expected and actually pretty painless. Most could be done online too.

Electricity (Npower) - All done online, they wouldn't actually let me do it until the day I moved (or possibly day before). Logged on, told them I was moving and they asked if I wanted to continue the service at a new property (I didn't).

Gas (British Gas) - Very similar to NPower. Did it a week before I moved, they then requested a final meter reading on the date I was moving, submitted and they generated my final bill.

Water (Anglian Water) - Forgot about this one so didn't do it until the day I moved on the phone.

Phone (BT) & Broadband (PlusNet) - Bit more complicated. BT need about 10 days notice I believe. Broadband can be more challenging. As I've decided my new line will come from Plus Net as well as the internet service they dealt with it all for me as part of the migration. Unfortunately they weren't able to suspend my account while I'm in limbo due to Ofcom restrictions so I continue paying my subs and they'll refund it when the new service is activated.

Hope that provides something useful to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure