I am such an idiot! When will I learn?

Options

Comments

• judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cross posted Ampersand - I will have a look at parking fine info! you never know but I think it was the council that issued the original (which I ignored!) it has now been sold to a debt recovery company with some extra added costs - hence the £82! Really should learn not to put head in the sand with things like this!!!

Got some lovely presents from my work including lots of flowers - had to give my mum some as i didn't have enough vases! Got £160 of ne*t vouchers so need to have a think about what I can do with those to assist me in my debt free journey!
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 September 2014 at 8:37PM
    Options
    It would be odd for a Council fine to be sold to ex-clamper thick-necks[which alleged 'debt' collectors in the parking event field mostly are]

Please double-check this. Are you sure it hasn't gone to MCOL stage?[set via Northampton Court in bulk stacks, or perhaps a Letter Before Action?]
    Some scumpanies are resurrecting ancient tickets, in an attempt to extort more money, frighten people.
    The advice WAS to ignore, pre-October, 2012, when the POFA Act 2012 became Law, as a sweetener when clamping vehicles on private land was outlawed. They can no longer pursue the driver, only the Reg. Keeper. You never ever admit to being driver or mitigate in any way. There are rare, strict scenarios for not doing this, but be guided always by Forum advice. Sometimes, naming the driver is a way to re-set the clock, start the Appeal process, which Forum advice wins, every time.

So, if in Scotland or N.Ireland - IGNORE IS STILL THE WAY. If in England or Wales, after October 2012, DON'T PAY, BUT DON'T IGNORE EITHER.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• judi24
    Options
    Thanks Ampersand - definately going to investigate this a little more before paying anything!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 28 September 2014 at 8:48AM
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    They can no longer pursue the driver, only the Reg. Keeper.

Not strictly correct.

They can, and should, pursue the driver (who is the one who parked the vehicle) but, if they are unable to identify the driver (ie. the RK can't/won't identify the driver), they can pursue the RK instead.
  • judi24 wrote: »
    Thanks Ampersand - definately going to investigate this a little more before paying anything!

Take a look at the "ticket" and tell us who issued it, and the address for payment.

That will give us an idea, if it is a real Parking Ticket, or a Speculative Invoice from a PPC (Private Parking Company).
  • judi24
    Options
    Update on parking ticket - date of offence was in Jan 2014!!! I parked in a pay and display car park, paid for an hour and didn't return within the hour! (was about 1hr 45 min i think)

I the initial ticket was an 'on the window' ticket from the council- I had and order for recovery of unpaid penalty charge and now i have had a notice of enforcement from another company saying they may access my premesis and remove goods!!! request is for £157!!! which includes £75 for thier trouble!

My plan was to pay the original £75 and see what happens - but going to check out the links Ampersand sent to see if i should do anything different!

Any advice Bedsit Bob? - you seem very versed in the matter!
  • Binky100
    Options
    I would just like to say that your grocery bill at £300 a month is tiny.

Maybe I'm spending far too much? We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children - aged 12 and 15 (that constantly eat).

I spend about £120 a week on food. Maybe you're spending more that you think at the shops and don't have so much left over to pay off the C/C.

Me and my husband's debts are very similar to yours.
  • Binky100
    Options
    Binky100 wrote: »
    I would just like to say that your grocery bill at £300 a month is tiny.

Maybe I'm spending far too much? We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children - aged 12 and 15 (that constantly eat).

I spend about £120 a week on food. Maybe you're spending more that you think at the shops and don't have so much left over to pay off the C/C.

Me and my husband's debts are very similar to yours.

Before anyone asks - I have been shopping in Lidols for the past 4 years:rotfl:
  • judi24
    Options
    Hi Binky - before September I was probably speanding about £100 a week on food and also was nipping into the local shop at least once a week and spending £20 on nothing! But I have been more focussed, cooking stuff from scratch more and eating differently (more veggie dishes and sometimes simpler meals etc) so have managed to get my shopping down to £300 last month - but my aim for this month is £250 as I still have a fair amount in the freezer and store cupboards. I might not always be able to only spend £250 but this month should be ok and if you look on the OS board £250 is quite generous!
  • Binky100
    Options
    Hi, thanks for that.

I am definitely spending too much!

Although I do try to cook from scratch I have a new full time job and life just seems to get harder - never easier!

Although the children are very skinny they do constantly graze the cupboards for snacks. We never did this when I was a child.

Also I did think after sending my post that we probably spend at least £20.00 a week on alcohol between me and my husband.
    This is where we could really cut back. But as we rarely go out, it seems that life would be very dull without it.

Cutting the grocery bill down will definitely help us pay off our debts faster and if other people can spend so much less than we should be able to do it too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure