Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• robertoegg
    Options
    Hi, does anyone know if you are entitled to the upfront line-rental being partially refunded if you want to break contract due to TalkTalk hiking prices?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    robertoegg wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if you are entitled to the upfront line-rental being partially refunded if you want to break contract due to TalkTalk hiking prices?
    Yes you are:

What will happen with my advance payment if I leave TalkTalk?
    You'll be entitled to receive a credit of any outstanding balance on your existing Value Line Rental term and a full refund of your unused renewal Value Line Rental term. This may be off-set against any applicable charges after disconnection.

See https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/value-line-rental-renewal
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Phoned BT today. At present I'm on broadband with them, advertised speed 17Mb, but I get nowhere near that and advised them that my contract was up late next month and I was shopping around

Advised them I'd been in contact with Vodafone and PkusNet and told them what I'd been offered basically £23 month which covered both landline and fibre charges with an activation fee of £50 (all figures rounded)

Was made an offer of line rental + £10 month for infinity 1 with no activation fee. That leaves BT costing about £22 a year more but I'm off the opinion that I'll stay with them, if only because of their landline charges

BT are still offering me weekend calls free and their standard rate call charges while Vodafone and PlusNet seem to set their landline charges much higher. If you use a landline at all that's where Vodafone and PlusNet could pull in extra revenue

Kevin
  • ffox
    ffox Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I had such a horrible experience with Talk Talk today.

I've been a customer for around 18+ months and recently renewed a contract. However, over the past month the quality of their service has literally fallen through the floor. The service keeps choking and there is no access to the service on a random basis. It's basically an optional and unreliable service where at any time you can expect to be disconnected and receive no service. This can be described as kindergarten level reliability. If anything, one thing that you can count on is the Internet cutting out at any time.

The second issue is the Line Rental. They claim Free Internet + Line Rental. This is complete BS. Firstly, the line rental is not this much. And even if you justifiably factor in the cost of the service provided plus the cost of actual line rental (which they do but don't tell) the overall cost of providing Internet access is still hardly this much.

They recently hiked up Line Rental to £18.95. This is the second line rental hike of about £3 per month in the space of just over a year. It used to be around £16 just last summer then it went to £17.70 and now £18.95 in the space of just over one year.

Considering the unpredictable and unreliable quality of their service the charges are totally unjustified. It doesn't cost anywhere near the amount that they along with others charge customers to provide Internet access. This applies to Talk Talk as well as the other ISPs operating in this market.
  • ffox
    Options
    Add to that a few more things about Talk Talk.

They have touted over recent months of getting rid of line rental. They haven't. Why don't they stop the BS and give one combined price for the service offered. It's not as if customers have any control over the line rental. People should realise that they use Line Rental as a seperate charge in order to justify hiking prices up mid-contract. When you call them and put this question to them they say that in fact *they* don't have any control over line rental as it's set by the telecom provider (ie, BT). Liars!

They tout that the service doesn't slow down during peak times and during peak usage. Another lie. It's 330pm in the afternoon and the service is choking as usual.

I am on the 17Mbps basic broadband package. I get around 5Mbps out of it. I appreciate this is the basic package. But if the service is unreliable, keeps choking and Talk Talk keep hiking prices up, use underhand tactics of concealment and dishonesty which are deliberately designed to mislead customers then I have a problem with that.
  • Frjack
    Options
    Just renewed with Plusnet. I'd been checking deals and their present deal was the best... for new customers...

They called earlier today, with the usual retention offers. £20-whatever on an 18 month contract.

I said I wasn't interested in tying into anything more than 12 months and paying any more than I pay, now.

The usual "I'll talk to my supervisor" pause ensued. A couple of minutes later the rep was back and gave me exactly what I wanted. That was it, I thought. Job done. But... then... the £50 cashback was added, too.

I've never had a problem with speed, customer service, or connectivity, just a couple of times (literally) when the router needed a reboot, which was less than I expected from a basic router.

So... I'm happy. :D :T :j
  • icalldibs
    Options
    Virgin Media - Broadband + basic calls package
    phoned them up saying I was going to leave and they offered to reduce from £42 to like £31 (6 months £29, 6 at £32 or something like that).
    BT Unlimited Infinity package was better (after £125 cash card claim) so went for them.

Virgin phoned me up this week offering me free line rental for the year so I'm now paying £21/month for the next 12.
    I'd probably have saved with BT if the Quidco claim came through, but I don't like depending on that stuff, and this way no one has to wait around for an engineer or router delivery either.
  • ffox
    Options
    See it's obvious the margins these providers work at are far higher than what they charge. They can afford to reduce prices considerably. Very rarely do you find vendors willing to reduce the price of a product or service by so much. What's bad, and they won't own up to it, is that their margins to profit are still considerably more even after they've given discounts. They try and act as saintly givers.

In all cases Talk Talk have been more than happy for me to leave.
  • jamie9090
    Options
    For those already with BT (i.e. not new customers) Virgin Media via USwitch is £25 pm +£14.99 up front fees (for up to 50mb) which I think beats the plusnet deal listed here. Haven't tried haggling with BT as an existing customer yet but my contract's nearly up for renewal so will do soon
  • rockchickne
    Options
    Tried to sign up to the BT deal for unlimited broadband £24.99 per month and get £75 card. Entered details 4 times online but it kept going to the Infinity deal at £29.99 per month.
    In desperation phoned BT call centre but they could not find the deal I was talking about. The price I was wanting was only available for standard broadband (not unlimited) and did not include a £75 card. This is despite the deal being on offer for another day - it expires tomorrow. Sounding dodgy?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback