IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket Appeals guide discussion

Options

Comments

• capricorn
    Options
    I Recently got a parking fine notice from Parking Eye in Southampton while waiting in a car park for a friend to arrive on the Red Jet from the IoW. I genuinely drove into the car park to see if a RedJet was in and as I was 15 mins early I thought I would just sit and wait there in the car. The Jet was due at 10.30 but didn't arrive until 10.45 am.It never crossed my mind to purchase a car park ticket.I remembered reading about parking fines on MSE.com so found the info re "Contact the land owner" which was a very quick search on the internet. The land owners were Associated British ports LTD Southampton and I spoke to a member of staff in the offices there. At first she was rather dismissive and said they didn't get involved with parking fines, but I then mentioned that I had been advised on the internet that getting in touch with the land owners was the correct thing to do. When she asked me where I had found the info and I told her it was on the Martin Lewis site which completely turned things around! She was more interested and somewhat sympathetic toward me. She suggested I contact PE and explain why I didn't purchase a ticket in the car park. I told her it was suggested NOT to contact the company on the web site but she thought I should, so I sent a brief truthful explanation as to why I hadn't purchased a ticket. After I had sent the email to PE I had another phone call from the same girl at ABP telling me to ignore anything Parking Eye send from now on as ABP were going to cancel the fine this time! Thank you Martin Lewis and Co. Thank you Charlotte at ABP
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    capricorn wrote: »
    I Recently got a parking fine notice from Parking Eye in Southampton while waiting in a car park for a friend to arrive on the Red Jet from the IoW. I genuinely drove into the car park to see if a RedJet was in and as I was 15 mins early I thought I would just sit and wait there in the car. The Jet was due at 10.30 but didn't arrive until 10.45 am.It never crossed my mind to purchase a car park ticket.I remembered reading about parking fines on MSE.com so found the info re "Contact the land owner" which was a very quick search on the internet. The land owners were Associated British ports LTD Southampton and I spoke to a member of staff in the offices there. At first she was rather dismissive and said they didn't get involved with parking fines, but I then mentioned that I had been advised on the internet that getting in touch with the land owners was the correct thing to do. When she asked me where I had found the info and I told her it was on the Martin Lewis site which completely turned things around! She was more interested and somewhat sympathetic toward me. She suggested I contact PE and explain why I didn't purchase a ticket in the car park. I told her it was suggested NOT to contact the company on the web site but she thought I should, so I sent a brief truthful explanation as to why I hadn't purchased a ticket. After I had sent the email to PE I had another phone call from the same girl at ABP telling me to ignore anything Parking Eye send from now on as ABP were going to cancel the fine this time! Thank you Martin Lewis and Co. Thank you Charlotte at ABP

Please start your own new thread, not on this one.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    capricorn wrote: »

You were lucky this time - but many people could end-up with more problems from PE by doing what you did.

So please read and act using the current advice for dealing with PE in the Newbies Sticky and not bump old/outdated threads that are no longer applicable!
  • shaunagh31
    Options
    i received a parking ticket yesterday , apparently for having my car up for sale outside my house. i didn't no this was illegal. has anyone else experienced this? the council said its in the highway code but cant seem to find anything.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    AFAIK the highway code is just that, and not law (in itself) Copy the ticket and go to pepipoo.com , register there and post in their council section.
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30
    where you posted on here is a discussion thread and your problem would get lost .
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • LJRRP
    Options
    I had an £80 parking notice from CPPlus for mistakenly parking in a permit holders only space at Bracknell Train Station. I appealed it directly with South West Trains, it took two long emails, and a lot of time but I eventually got it cancelled. I believed their signage was incorrect according to Parking regulations, and I did have mitigating circumstances, which is what I heavily pushed back on when they initially wouldn't cancel the ticket - because they believed their signage was good enough. I was very polite, didn't get angry... was just disappointed with them! I also sent them pictures of another car park that by chance had the same thing - you pay for a ticket, but some of the spaces in the car park are blocked off for permit holders - the other car park had done it right, blue paint round all the spaces, big signs on each space, big signs throughout the car park. I made a genuine mistake and wasn't going to pay the fine because I had bought a ticket; I genuinely didn't realise the space i was in was for permit holders only.
  • dvtrv
    dvtrv Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It happens, even if you have, as I, a blue badge.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 September 2016 at 4:43PM
    Options
    dvtrv wrote: »
    It happens, even if you have, as I, a blue badge.
    It does happen but no-one here PAYS a private parking ticket of course.

Won appeal against South West Trains

I had an £80 parking notice from CPPlus for mistakenly parking in a permit holders only space at Bracknell Train Station.

I appealed it directly with South West Trains, it took two long emails, and a lot of time but I eventually got it cancelled.

I believed their signage was incorrect according to Parking regulations, and I did have mitigating circumstances, which is what I heavily pushed back on when they initially wouldn't cancel the ticket - because they believed their signage was good enough. I was very polite, didn't get angry... was just disappointed with them!

I also sent them pictures of another car park that by chance had the same thing - you pay for a ticket, but some of the spaces in the car park are blocked off for permit holders - the other car park had done it right, blue paint round all the spaces, big signs on each space, big signs throughout the car park.

I made a genuine mistake and wasn't going to pay the fine because I had bought a ticket; I genuinely didn't realise the space i was in was for permit holders only.

Glad to hear you got it cancelled but it would have been just as easy to have appealed (in the way the PCN says) to CP Plus, as registered keeper/hirer/keeper (but NOT driver!) using the template in the NEWBIES thread here, and winning the appeal:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

NEVER say who the driver was, with a private parking ticket.

And the MSE article and 'template appeal' on this site is badly out of date, not useable. In fact it shoots people in the foot.

DO NOT use the template appeal in the Parking Ticket Appeals guide.

Newbies should follow the forum advice instead.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • dboocock09
    Options
    i received a parking charge notice from UKCPS LTD for parking in a private car park it is for £100mor £80 if paid in 14 days ive been told by friends not to pay it , but im unsure as it says County Court proceedings may incur plus additional costs if remains unpaid , can anybody help ?
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Yep, please start a separate thread as this is a discussion one and your problem will get lost in the discussions.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure