Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    • 6,446Posts
    • 49,886Thanks
    shaggydoo
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13
    • 8th Jan 14, 12:18 PM
    The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13 8th Jan 14 at 12:18 PM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Quote:
    Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"

Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 721
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 25th May 17, 8:41 AM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 43,511 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    You never sound preachy FPT. You sound like someone who's putting a lot of work into changing a habit, which is a pretty familiar place for me. I've found that posting on here daily and clarifying my thoughts while I put them into words helps me enormously. Carry on doing what you're doing and you'll get there.

25/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 25th May 17, 9:39 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 4,426 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    19 AFD please Shaggy.
    Arkers x

• sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 25th May 17, 12:56 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    12/12 for today please Shaggy
    • CuppaTea
    • By CuppaTea 25th May 17, 2:06 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 5,032 Thanks
    CuppaTea
    15/17. As tempting as it is to have a glass of wine in the sunshine this evening, I won't as I've a blood test first thing in the morning.
    I'm dealing with stuff.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 25th May 17, 2:40 PM
    • 3,630 Posts
    • 4,265 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I am up to 10/12.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - 383,000
    Mortgages (3rd May 2017) - 184,179.38
    Equity - 198,820.62
    • maman
    • By maman 25th May 17, 3:02 PM
    • 15,985 Posts
    • 95,411 Thanks
    maman
    You never sound preachy FPT. You sound like someone who's putting a lot of work into changing a habit, which is a pretty familiar place for me. I've found that posting on here daily and clarifying my thoughts while I put them into words helps me enormously. Carry on doing what you're doing and you'll get there.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

Same here HB and no, you don't sound preachy to me either FPT. I am bossy by nature (or so I've been told) and I, too, find it difficult sometimes on message boards. I do my best with words and smileys but I'd hate things to be taken the wrong way.

A drink in the sun did cross my mind too cuppa but I'll join you in refraining. There's always tomorrow which promises to be equally sunny. It's all too easy to have s*d it days after getting to target. I know June is going to be a write off as I'm away for most of it so I've told myself that May and June together must come to 2xtarget=20. I hope that makes sense. It does to me.

15 AFDs please Shaggy.
    • Eltee12
    • By Eltee12 25th May 17, 3:53 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 7,307 Thanks
    Eltee12
    Afternoon All

14/21 for me please

Unfortunately, I will be a couple short of target again this month, but glad to say that a few of the alcohol days only involved one glass - hurrah!

El
    PAYDBX 2017 #45 608/1,968 = 30.89% paid;
    2017 AFD 85/200: Jan=25, Feb=16, Mar=21, APR=23
    CCC #11 2.50/300 - no spend months: JAN-APRIL
    Mortgage-free since 2013
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 25th May 17, 6:46 PM
    • 3,627 Posts
    • 42,141 Thanks
    Barny1979
    19/24 AFDs today
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 25th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    22/31

Feel a bit annoyed with myself really. Should have done better.

Nobody here is preachy!! It's all so helpful and uplifting. And useful and good.
    I tend to take more notice of things written down than things said to me.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • PriceySOS
    • By PriceySOS 26th May 17, 8:19 AM
    • 538 Posts
    • 4,383 Thanks
    PriceySOS
    18 please Shaggy, taCalling in early for today because Parkrun tomorrow, so definitely cannot give in to a s*d it later today

Have a happy sunny day, everybody
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 26th May 17, 8:37 AM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 8,118 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 23/21 for me please.
    No. 38 in Save 12K in 2017. 7,475.85/12,000
    Save 12K in 2016: 20,880.11/15,000
    Save 12K in 2015: 25,464.86/10,000
    May AFDs: 23/21 2017 AFDs: 109/252
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 26th May 17, 11:22 AM
    • 4,293 Posts
    • 43,511 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    FPT and Maman - on reflection, after what you've both said and I know about myself, I think that's rather interesting. We know we can sound preachy, or that things that we say/write might be taken the wrong way, or might come across as aggresive, none of which we want to be the case. I know I spend a bit of time checking my posts before I hit Submit Reply because I want to make sure my exuberance, for want of a better word, doesn't jangle people's nerves. In real life I don't 'edit' what I actually say nearly enough, obviously!

Well done Sukeyboo on reaching your target with quite a chunk of month left, and I hope everyone else who's coming to the end of the month either makes it, or like Eltee has had enough Low Alcohol days to count as victories.

Woman's Hour has been doing a series this week about children of alcoholics and it's been very saluatory listening. I was never courageous enough to have kids but had I done so, with a bit of hindsight, I fear mine would have figured amongst the contributors. Narrow escapes all round.

26/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • macpep1
    • By macpep1 26th May 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 26,795 Thanks
    macpep1
    Hi All

I have not been on much, been really busy this week. Can I have another 3 bringing my total to 7/14AF's added please Shaggy. I am not going to make my target at all but 7 days or more is unheard of for me so I am pleased & getting better every month. We have a severe weather warning for thunderstorms tomorrow so I will have a glass or 2 of wine tonight & enjoy what's left of the sunshine. Have a good weekend everyone.
    Last edited by macpep1; Yesterday at 11:46 AM.
    Gratitude is the best Attitude
    Long Term Flylady
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 26th May 17, 2:10 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Thanks HB - I am hoping to get a couple more in next week and get my 14 day smiley

I must say I have never felt anyone on here comes across at preachy - it is a very positive thread and I have found it so helpful in keeping me 'on track'

Well done to all those who have reached (or exceeded) target & also to those who have reduced their intake even if they haven't quite made target

Have a lovely Bank Holiday weekend everyone - let's hope this lovely weather hangs around for it
    • fakeplastictwee
    • By fakeplastictwee 26th May 17, 9:37 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 4,428 Thanks
    fakeplastictwee
    Phew, well that's good to know, so thank you everyone. I shall keep posting my twaddle.

There was a vigil at my local park for two of the Manchester attack victims this evening. I went along to that and have come home and feel a little lonely now. I was invited to go out with my OH and his work friends but I turned them down, and I'm not sure why really. But on the plus side I have stayed AF on a Friday night. Hoping for another one tomorrow too, as I'll be having a drink or two on Sunday after the Manchester Run, (which I was supposed to be running in, but I'm not now as I've been too poorly to train). Another plus is that I've had 4 days in a row of feeling well so I'm hoping that whatever the problem was, has gone.

I think that takes me to 23/25 please.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 26th May 17, 10:19 PM
    • 3,627 Posts
    • 42,141 Thanks
    Barny1979
    20/24 AFDs
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 27th May 17, 8:29 AM
    • 788 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    24/31

Very busy weekend. Not much time for drinking so planned AF till at least Tuesday.
    Very hard trying to cut down. Trying hard but would like to be doing better.

Thank you everyone for contributing. Every post is helpful to me- and also hope anyone reading but not joining knows that there is room for more! xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

615Posts Today

5,934Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin