Does an illegal plate circumvent average speed cameras?

Options

Comments

• Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MikeWhite wrote: »
    On a similar note I see many trailers with the wrong plate on - i.e. it does not match the towing vehicle. Today I saw a huge trailer with no plate. What happens when they pass a camera?
    I have two trailers and a caravan, plus two bike racks with lighting boards. Any of these could be towed/carried by one of two cars. I have several spare number plates with appropriate fixings, but it's a proper ballache swapping them over for short trips. I'm not surprised that some people don't bother.

Perhaps a better system would be for all trailers to have a separate registration of their own, with a unique number which stays with the trailer all its life?
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    It intrigues me how many of the drivers I see deliberately driving at more than 57mph through a 50 actually understand the system, or am I just watching someone with cloned plates or a deliberately wrongly registered car.

A colleague recently brought his post to work and opened it as we all had our morning coffee. One was a fine for driving too fast in a average speed section of the motorway. He genuinely thought he hadn't done anything wrong because it was late and all the roadworkers would have gone home.

Another colleague then passed on some wisdom - change lanes after each camera and it can't track you.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    Another colleague then passed on some wisdom - change lanes after each camera and it can't track you.
    He's wrong. They can.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    deaston wrote: »

AdrianC is correct - this is an oft-circulated urban myth.
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    He's wrong. They can.

I know. I was trying to show how stupid people can be.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    AdrianC is correct - this is an oft-circulated urban myth.
    Not so much an urban myth, as an outdated truth. They didn't use to be permitted to - the type-approval for the cameras didn't allow it originally, but it has for nearly a decade now.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,237 Forumite
    Options
    There's no photo on average speed cameras.
    According to the makers of the SPECS system, both data and images are logged.

See jenoptik.co.uk
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps a better system would be for all trailers to have a separate registration of their own, with a unique number which stays with the trailer all its life?

This is how it works in the US, at least in California. A much better system, imho, though you do have to pay a licence fee each year for the trailer, the amount depending on its value.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »

This is how it works in the US, at least in California. A much better system, imho, though you do have to pay a licence fee each year for the trailer, the amount depending on its value.
    It's how it works in much of Europe, too.

The obvious follow-on is MOTs for trailers. Sounds like a damn good plan to me.
  • tedted
    tedted Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    trailers are tested now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts