PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Options

Comments

• Louise22
    Louise22 Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone

I have always wanted to knit and tried to teach myself but just couldn't! After much searching, I have found someone who is going to give me one to one lessons, starting on Tuesday. I cannot tell you all how excited I am!! Hopefully I will be able to post some of my creations on this thread one day :)
  • shezmit
    shezmit Posts: 781 Forumite
    Options
    CALLING ALL KNITTERS TO HELP PREEMIESUK

we are running really low on the following items for premature babies and babies that are born to soon

CARDIES, BLANKETS, SLEEPING BAGS, ANGEL POCKETS, GOWNS, WRAPS, ETC

i have had another clean out and got another 6 parcels out to the hospitals on monday so that now 19 parcels this month,

If you can help us in anyway please give me a shout or PM me
    Knitting for premature babies and babies that are born to soon :T
    TOTAL: 4 SANDS BLANKET, 18 CROCHETED BLANKETS, 4 GOWNS, 2 SLEEPING BAG (PRIVATE REQUEST), 1 BIB, 8 BOOBS, 3 CARDIES, 9 VENTS, 3 KNITTED BLANKETS, 1 PAIR OF BOOTIES, 1 HAT,
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cuddles123 wrote: »
    Thanks Orkney.
    I'm using a 5.5 bamboo needle and can't even cast on properly.

Hmmm, not sure, perhaps try a metal needle ? Or even go up a size ?
    Last time I knitted with that sort of wool I definitely used metal as had nothing else at the time....
    Maybe someone else will be along with better ideas soon ?
    x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    It is Regia who make it, and that particular range is called Kaffe Fassett. I could not find any on Kemps though, sorry!
    You might find better deals on ebay- just search for 'Sock Wool'. TBH decent sock wool is not that cheap on the whole, unless you find an offer.
    I did find this, which is cheap for Regia, although not sure what colours available and as I have never used this seller I cannot say if they are good or not.

Thanks for looking OrkneyStar. I found someone had posted in another forum that Kemps were selling this wool for £1.20 per 50g ball and it was only posted on Wednesday so maybe they've sold out already :(. Just read jennyjelly's post and realised it was last January :(

Back to the drawing board.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 January 2011 at 6:55PM
    Options
    lynseydee wrote: »
    Also, I've started my second sock and have got as far as casting on but can't remember how I joined the rows on the first row and even reading Silver's guide I'm still stuck. Can someone help me? Can't believe I've forgotton already :rotfl:

Hi lynseydee.

When I add wool, I hold the new strand of wool parallel to the existing wool left - usually about 9" so there is a joining piece in front (overhang) and your 2 pieces of strand. Then I knit the first stitch thus getting two stitches and also do the same to the second stitch two stitches. This effectively harnesses the wool without making a knot. When you come to the next row, knit through each set of the frist two stiches so that you get back to the original number. The little overhang thread can be knitted through at the end.

Hope that is clear - I definitely would advise NOT making a knot as it does show and is uncomfortable for the person wearing it. HTH
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 January 2011 at 7:50PM
    Options
    jennyjelly wrote: »
    I've been searching online for a pattern for a cuddly Eeyore, and although I haven't found one I did come across this pattern for a Dalek along the way. I think they are fab so I thought I'd post the link in case it's useful for someone.

Hope you like it.

PS if anyone knows where I can find my Eeyore pattern, or has one they could share, I'd be eternally grateful. They go for silly money on ebay!

I knitted a dalek for a friend a while back. Here's a piccy.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/knittingspider/Dalek2.jpg

P.S. found an Eeyore pattern for you (scroll down to the bottom of the page to find it)

http://www.anneliesdekort.nl/en-gratis_patroon_iejoor.htm
  • lynseydee
    Options
    janb5 wrote: »
    Hi lynseydee.

When I add wool, I hold the new strand of wool parallel to the existing wool left - usually about 9" so there is a joining piece in front (overhang) and your 2 pieces of strand. Then I knit the first stitch thus getting two stitches and also do the same to the second stitch two stitches. This effectively harnesses the wool without making a knot. When you come to the next row, knit through each set of the frist two stiches so that you get back to the original number. The little overhang thread can be knitted through at the end.

Hope that is clear - I definitely would advise NOT making a knot as it does show and is uncomfortable for the person wearing it. HTH

Hi Jan

Thanks for taking the time to post but I think you've misunderstood what I was asking, or I've misunderstood your answer :rotfl:

I have now worked out what I needed to do so am now on my way to getting the second sock knitted up.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • lynseydee
    Options
    lambanana wrote: »
    I finally have a finished project to show! Some socks knit for my friend at work's daughter. She gave me the money for the wool and I did the knitting. Normally I say no to knitting requests, particularly socks as it's a lot of time and I'm a bit of a selfish knitter and if I'm spending so much time knitting something I want it for myself :o I agreed though as the daughter is lovely and my friend is retiring soon so it's not going to become a regular request. Also her daughter only has small feet so they didn't take too much work!!

The wool is XXL Trekking in Pink Vanilla socks weer 60 stitches on 2.5mm needles just plain old stockinette simplicity.

5208656600_43ba9223a7.jpg

Lambanana, I like these socks, which pattern did you use?
    Did owe £9,951.96

• jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I knitted a dalek for a friend a while back. Here's a piccy.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/knittingspider/Dalek2.jpg

P.S. found an Eeyore pattern for you (scroll down to the bottom of the page to find it)

http://www.anneliesdekort.nl/en-gratis_patroon_iejoor.htm

LOVE the dalek Spider, it looks like exactly the same pattern, is it?

Thanks for the Eeyore, that's my evening sorted! Will post a piccy when he's done.
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jennyjelly wrote: »
    LOVE the dalek Spider, it looks like exactly the same pattern, is it?

Thanks for the Eeyore, that's my evening sorted! Will post a piccy when he's done.

Yes, same pattern.

Looking forward to seeing Eeyore (even though Tigger is my favourite) :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback