Batter down your annual mobile costs article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Kal
    Kal Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    After my previous success with getting 02 down to £15 with 500mins and 100texts I got my boyfriend to phone regarding his contract. They matched the 500 mins and 100 texts but would only reduce the bill to £20 pm not £15.

Do you think I should get him to ring up again and try to get them down to £15 by quoting what I was offered??
  • fabwitch_2
    fabwitch_2 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    I am with T mobile and was offered 300 minutes plus 30 texts to any network off peak for £15.00 plus new phone or £5.00 amonth keeping exsisitng phone. I took second option as I like the phone I have, If I need to use the phone other times I just top up
    Competitions wins 2010

LG Cookie Fresh Mobile with £50 credit, Kiss 100 on FB
    .:j
  • Lan
    Lan Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Kal wrote:
    After my previous success with getting 02 down to £15 with 500mins and 100texts I got my boyfriend to phone regarding his contract. They matched the 500 mins and 100 texts but would only reduce the bill to £20 pm not £15.

Do you think I should get him to ring up again and try to get them down to £15 by quoting what I was offered??

Hi.
    If I were you, I would ring o2 again.
    They tried the same kind of tactic with me on Thursday when I rang up to renew my contract.
    Last year I got a really great deal on ringing up to renew. I was on 25 mins and 25 texts for £16 a month from the o2 shop. But with hardly any wrangling, and after quoting a deal from 3 network, retentions offered 500 x net work mins and 200 texts for £15 a month (o2 500 tariff £25 - £10 for loyalty). I also got a brand new D500! After some wrangling they gave my husband the same deal, basically because they had given it to me, and they could hardly not give it to my husband.
    This year, I decided to go for the same tactic. Straight away they offered to let me keep the same minutes and texts as last year, but they were being a bit snobby about the free phone that I was to be given.
    I wanted a Motoroal V3i, but they said that I could only get it if I paid £29.99 (that phone is at least £229.00 brand new, or £99.99 I think to upgrade to it in the o2 shop). Forget it, I said. I can get it free elsewhere (although not with the minutes and texts for just £15 a month, te he). Within minutes of me threatening to cancel and waiting on hold they admitted defeat, and gave me the Motorola v3i free. Result.
    Right, thought I, time to get my husbands sorted as well. She said to wait a moment and she would try and sort it out. After a few more minutes she came back with same minutes and texts, but this time for £20 a month and he would have to pay £29.99 for the v3i!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, I said, but how come you have just given me the same deal, and can't do it for him? Goes on monthly spend she says. The thing is, I explained, that he spends exactly the same as me, so why can't you give him the same offer?
    Well, she said, you shouldn't have been offered that with the free v3i (couldn't believe she admitted that)!!!!!!
    But that's their tough luck isn't it? I threatened to cancel again. And surprise, surprise, she relented and said he could have the same deal (through gritted teeth I think).

So, you see, it does work. They can hardly not give your other half the same deal as you. Not when you know for a fact that they have it!
    Have a go anyway. Its worked for me (twice).
    All I can say is just do your homework. Look on the internet for the phone you want, tarriff, price, mins etc. Then ask them to match it, or you'll leave. It normally does work. If not, as Martin says in his original posting, back off and try again with somebody new.

Now all I have to do is barter the same deal for my Mum next month when her contract comes up for renewal!!!
  • PJGILL
    PJGILL Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    When calling if you ask for the PAC Code you will immediately grab their attention. It also makes you sound serious. The PAC Code is required if you wish to keep your existing number and transfer it to another operator.
    Phil
  • gill_b_4
    Options
    O2 are excellent. I rang up near the end of my contract to say that I was thinking of changing to Pay as You Go. They offered me £10 a month off my tariff and offered me an updated phone. When I said I was quite happy with the phone I'd got the gave me £75 cashback! They have also been giving me "Treats" (!!) every three months of 20 minutes extra calls.
  • neish
    neish Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hey there

I've had my monthly contract for about 13 months and then I very drunkenly lost my phone and need to call up about it. Seeing as I was going to upgrade my phone soon anyway I was wondering what are the best things to say over the phone to upgrade to a nice phone and contract.

Does 'Yo Yo Yo hook me up like' work??
  • triumvirate
    Options
    On reading the email I phoned up O2.

I was paying £30 a month for 200mins and 100 texts ie £360 a year.

After some bartering I got this down to £180 a year.

However I didn't want a new phone so I got a further £100 off.

Now I am paying £80 a year which is £6.67 a month or if you want 22% of my original bill or a saving of 78%.

And yes I still get the same minutes and texts

Thanks Martin!
  • wellers
    wellers Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I'm unsure whether I did well or not but I do know that my contract represents very good value for money...

I've just got an extra 100 anytime, any network minutes from Orange plus a new K750i (although I'm going to see if they'll swap it for a W810i - those joysticks always seem to break in about 5 minutes).

As a student I get my 1000 free texts a month so for £30 a month I'm now on 400 minutes and 1000 texts. Normally 30 quid gets you 200 xnet anytime minutes. So I'm getting twice as many minutes for free and a whopping 1000 texts too.

On the Flext sliders this is the equivalent to £180 but without the flexibility or the £4 a month saving. But I know Orange, they treat me well and I'm happy to stay with them rather than return to T-Mobile.
  • Jay1b
    Jay1b Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    neish wrote:
    Hey there

I've had my monthly contract for about 13 months and then I very drunkenly lost my phone and need to call up about it. Seeing as I was going to upgrade my phone soon anyway I was wondering what are the best things to say over the phone to upgrade to a nice phone and contract.

Does 'Yo Yo Yo hook me up like' work??

Have you tried actually reading the article?
    A bargain is only a bargain if you would have brought it anyway!
  • lannyp
    lannyp Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    just phoned orange, currently on yp200 with 500txts plus weekend call which i pay around 5 pound a month for, totals to around 30 pound per month, best they would offer me was 500 x network mins, 130 texts, k750i on 18 month contract, 1st 6 month half price, averages out at 25 pound a month over 18 months, BUT i wanted the nokia n70 no way would they do it, well they would for 83 pound charge, i just tried my hardest to do a deal with him, by the way this was disconnections! eventually i had three choices, take the offer, cancel account, or get my code to keep my number to use with another network, his very last words was if i could wait untill monday they may be able to give me more texts but the phone choice would not change, all in all orane seem to be getting very wise to threats to leave is my gut feeling, anybody got any more ideas or tariff,s i could try for, any advice welcome
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback