Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• Frozen_up_north
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    £5 a month, 500mins 1.5Gb data, 1000text.
    https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

Its with Plusnet, its a monthly contract, so if you find something better, you can leave easily.

Best part is they have proper caps on call and data overspend... maybe some of the other networks will wake up and take note?
  • The_weedie
    Options
    Two issues with EE, firstly their SIM only prices are often way over priced, they seem to succumb to existing customers haggling the price down on threatening to leave, not sure about price matching with new customers.

When I last enquired, the staff in a local EE shop didn't understand about call spending caps and avoiding "bill shock", so be careful if switching to EE. Sending text messages saying you are near your limit isn't guaranteed reliable and in any event might be too late. BT use the EE network, as a few others do, so look around.

For info, Three offer an "all or nothing" call spending cap. Data just stops when you reach your limit on Three too.

You have to enable that cap on three as well it isn't on by default.

EE sim only plans are indeed more expensive you but you get a better service for it which imo is worth the extra - especially if you have a smart phone. EE and o2 are the only providers in the UK that allow you to have Visual voicemail (why this isn't on all networks is bloody annoying, but understandable as they don't have to upgrade their infrastructure and can keep prices down), Wi-fi calling and VoLTE.

Their 4G speeds are way quicker - I have three for work and EE for personal so regularly compare the two throughout the UK. This is backed up by OFCOM who report that EE is 50% faster than 3.

It's also worth noting that 3 is utterly dreadful for being aboard with their feel at home - borderline false advertising. Data is throttled to an extent where it is unusable whereas other providers don't. They don't even offer 4G speeds in the EU yet either which is ridiculous given the law changes past in recent months.

EE £26 for 22GB (unlimted everything else), o2 £20 for 20GB etc are all WAY better than the all you can eat 3 plan.

At the lower end <5gb of data plans are rip off for those two and their <1gb are ridiculously priced.

It really does depend on what you use your phone for.
  • DelboyMk2
    Options
    I’m new at this, please excuse me if I get it all wrong. My wife and I changed to ID Sim only deal as it saved more than half what we were paying, but more importantly gave the ‘Take your package to the USA, use your phone as if you were still in the UK’ because we knew a holiday to the USA was coming up. In Memphis Tennessee now, can’t use our phones as it seems we get roaming charges, can’t contact ID because it would probably be to expensive to phone with waiting times, no live chat and no email address. Anyone got any suggestions??
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DelboyMk2 wrote: »
    I’m new at this, please excuse me if I get it all wrong. My wife and I changed to ID Sim only deal as it saved more than half what we were paying, but more importantly gave the ‘Take your package to the USA, use your phone as if you were still in the UK’ because we knew a holiday to the USA was coming up. In Memphis Tennessee now, can’t use our phones as it seems we get roaming charges, can’t contact ID because it would probably be to expensive to phone with waiting times, no live chat and no email address. Anyone got any suggestions??

If you have a “Takeaway” plan it only includes U.K. calls and doesn’t include anything outside of allowance. You cannot call around the US, and if your allowance is used up you revert to normal roaming costs.

163_A3_C0_D-4_B3_F-448_D-98_B9-_BB247_EDE2_E82.jpg

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/takeaway
    ====
  • capital0ne
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    £5 a month, 500mins 1.5Gb data, 1000text.
    https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

Its with Plusnet, its a monthly contract, so if you find something better, you can leave easily.
    That's expensive!
    On TPO - The Peoples Operator £3.99/mnth 500mins, 1.5GB data unlimited texts and its 4G

No contract - leave when you like, piggybacks on EE
  • mersey
    mersey Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Was with Asda Mobile payg,they use EE.(sim).Now as I have a better phone I have gone with plusnet who also use EE.Plusnet are owned by bt but run as a separate company.Asda were great giving me the pac code on the phone and by text as soon as I requested it.3days for my old number to move to my new sim,Plusnet have uk call center and they were very friendly and efficient setting everything up.i managed to get 5 gig data unlimited calls and texts for £9 a month, monthly rolling contract not tied in.Very Pleased.
  • chrishorsfall
    Options
    On MSE today it lists the 12Gb data, unlimited calls and text SIM only deal with Three for £12 / month new customers.
    I called Three as a contract expired existing customer and they offered the same for £15 per month . . . . Doh. I said no thank you.
    My question to you all is concerning their next answer - that the £12 deal was a third party deal only valid via MSE and I would also be stuck with their terms and conditions and would most likely regret it!
    Is this true? Is the deal an MSE exclusive?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    On MSE today it lists the 12Gb data, unlimited calls and text SIM only deal with Three for £12 / month new customers.
    I called Three as a contract expired existing customer and they offered the same for £15 per month . . . . Doh. I said no thank you.
    My question to you all is concerning their next answer - that the £12 deal was a third party deal only valid via MSE and I would also be stuck with their terms and conditions and would most likely regret it!

It doesn't matter if it's exclusive to MSE or not, you've answered your own question as to why you can't get it surely?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

1. Call Three and ask them to convert your existing contract to PAYG.
    2. Buy the £12 deal via the MSE link.
    3. Complete the PAYG to contract form on the Three website.
    4. Stop complaining.

I’ll even give you a link to the form ;)

https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Pay_As_You_Go/Moving_to_a_contract
    ====
  • biggysmaller
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it's exclusive to MSE or not, you've answered your own question as to why you can't get it surely?

You do know that Asda Mobile are now doing a great deal - 12GB, unlimited calls and text for £10 on a contract free PAYG - This is one of the best deals out there right now. I am moving from my Three contract to ASDA next week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure