Does an illegal plate circumvent average speed cameras?

Options
deaston
deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
I see illegally spaced plates absolutely everywhere and very often on company vehicles - I saw one this morning where the number one had been moved right so the plate of a locksmith said "1ock".

The police clearly don't care about them but I was wondering - does this stop drivers being caught by average speed cameras?

Comments

• Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd surmise that at the point in the mainly automated system of issuing a ticket that the illegal plate can''t be matched with the DVLA record it would flag up along with those other plates that have been misread for other reasons by the cameras and then it would be down to the Mk1 human eyeball to identify the true number.
  • marty2be2000
    marty2be2000 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The police do care about them, they just have not been caught yet. A friend of mine was pulled several times with illegally spaced plates, he got fed up and the threat of having the plate withdrawn so he now has the plate legally spaced.

The plate will still be read by the ANPR cameras in the average speed sections, but will trigger a manual check if a fine is to be issued because it will not be recognised by the DVLA computer.
  • deaston
    Options
    The police do care about them, they just have not been caught yet. A friend of mine was pulled several times with illegally spaced plates, he got fed up and the threat of having the plate withdrawn so he now has the plate legally spaced.

The plate will still be read by the ANPR cameras in the average speed sections, but will trigger a manual check if a fine is to be issued because it will not be recognised by the DVLA computer.

You say the police care, but I see several of them a day - illegal spacing, illegal fonts etc.

I was watching a police programme recently and a guy was pulled over for it. He admitted it, admitted he'd been pulled over before and said he wouldn't rectify it. The officer just argued with him and threatened to inform the DVLA. No sign of the three points and £5,000 fine that the voiceover informed us the driver was at risk of receiving.

You even say how your friend was pulled "several times" and got fed-up with the threats. These rules just aren't enforced.

Edit: Reading that back it sounds like I'm having a go at you - don't mean to be. It's the police/law I'm angry at.
  • deaston
    Options
    Here he is in fact:

https://www.facebook.com/Hkslocksmiths/photos/rpp.1752733914970399/1887724608137995/?type=3&theater

A professional vehicle with an illegal plate. He even has the illegal plate on the logo for his company.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Why would the DVLA really want them prosecuted when DVLA sold the majority of plates in the first instance .
    Police are hardly going to be stopping them when they rarely if ever stop the vast majority of speeding motorists . That is unless they can make a TV program out of illegal plates .
  • deaston
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Why would the DVLA really want them prosecuted when DVLA sold the majority of plates in the first instance .
    Police are hardly going to be stopping them when they rarely if ever stop the vast majority of speeding motorists . That is unless they can make a TV program out of illegal plates .

Isn't the plate confiscated and then resold? More revenue for the DVLA...
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    deaston wrote: »
    The police clearly don't care about them but I was wondering - does this stop drivers being caught by average speed cameras?
    Almost certainly not.

Especially where it's something as trivial as moving the space from HK51 OCK to HK5 1OCK.

Some of the more scripty-illegible (scryptic?) fonts that used to be reasonably common might, but they've been cracked down on heavily already. I used to regularly see an italicy-scripty plate on a Q7 (unsurprised...?) that sort-of-read LUCY LOU if you squinted hard enough. Then, one day, it was a totally legal plate that read LU57 LOU. Not quite the message they wanted, I don't think. You just knew there'd been a couple of FPNs there, and they were on a last warning before the plate was removed.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Almost certainly not.

Especially where it's something as trivial as moving the space from HK51 OCK to HK5 1OCK.

Some of the more scripty-illegible (scryptic?) fonts that used to be reasonably common might, but they've been cracked down on heavily already. I used to regularly see an italicy-scripty plate on a Q7 (unsurprised...?) that sort-of-read LUCY LOU if you squinted hard enough. Then, one day, it was a totally legal plate that read LU57 LOU. Not quite the message they wanted, I don't think. You just knew there'd been a couple of FPNs there, and they were on a last warning before the plate was removed.

If it's not being read then they are getting away with it.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    I'd surmise that at the point in the mainly automated system of issuing a ticket that the illegal plate can''t be matched with the DVLA record it would flag up along with those other plates that have been misread for other reasons by the cameras and then it would be down to the Mk1 human eyeball to identify the true number.

What's the Mk1 eyeball going to look at?
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What's the Mk1 eyeball going to look at?

The photograph, perhaps, the same one that's used as evidence if required ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure