2014 - keep crunching away

Options
Well as it says - this year I won't be debt free but I'm going to crunch the figures to reduce them as much as possible in the next 12 months.

I'll get my exact figures and update this post then I can compare them each month with previous months. I know there are 51 pay days to go though :(

For those who've been on my previous diaries you will know my kids and horses play a big part in my life along with my husband.

This year I'm continuing keeping the gas and electric bills down (I've changed to a new supplier and paying quarterly now) and trying to keep the food bill as low as possible. This is difficult as I find eating healthily always to be more expensive. Something else to work on!

I was back to work this morning and despite the early finish, it was a long day! I'm off to bed in a mo so I'll update the figures in the morning. HM soup for lunch.
Debt - CCV £3792
CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
Loan 2 £1683
Total £8601 Was £39302

Comments

• Baldybear
    Baldybear Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Good morning :)

Hope going back to work was painless and the hossies are doing well.
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks baldybear - it's painful but not as bad as it could be and it's nice getting back into a routine to be honest. I did have an amazing tie off with family and friends though.

So I've done the below post and copied it over:

OK well as of January 7th the numbers look like this.

SLC £3318.9
    CCV £11483.44
    CCT £5490.04
    CCR £3957.65
    NTW £14451.24
    OD £946.28
    NXT £254.66

£39902.21

Yes it's scary but includes things I normally miss out. I'm not going to dwell on it, I'm just going to get on and pay it off. I'm lucky enough to be getting a pay rise from this month's pay so I shall endeavour to use that towards the debt. I say endeavour as I need to figure out if I was already living beyond my monthly pay as I wouldn't be in my overdraft if I wasn't!! However with Christmas and a busy month plus birthdays I spent lots more than I budgeted for. I'd saved up quite a bit too but not enough obviously.

So what am I doing to resolve this. Well as above I know it won't be cleared this year. This doesn't stop me reducing it as much as possible by:

• keeping grocery bills down
    • no spending on unnecessary things for me or the kids or the horses!
    • money that comes in that isn't expected goes to paying it off
    • stay organised and on top of all payments
    • whatever can be sold will be and used towards items required in the house instead of using monthly budget.
    For example with the last one we're in the middle of doing the bedroom and the furniture we've picked is in the sale and I need £260 to pay for it. I need to sell some items to pay for this and also have my xmas money to go towards it.

I'm feeling really positive as always at this time of year :)

Right meals this week are porridge, cereal or nutri grain bars for breakfast then salad or wraps for lunch with extras for kids and teas have been shepherd's pie with tonnes of veg and meat and veg, tonight is slow cooker beef in gravy with new pots and veg (there's a theme here) and tomorrow I don't know yet. I have sausages for the kids as I'm on diet at the mo.

The no spending bullet point above means I won't be spending on lunches at work still, I've been making my own for a good while now. I got a flask for xmas for the yard which allows for soup so I will make some more HM soup and bring that it in for lunch as an alternate to salads. I do have items at work to pay for which I can't get out of and don't want to as it's things like flowers for people who have lost family members, retirement gift etc.

Tonight it's show night at the stables and previously DD would have had her tea there for an extortionate amount of money but now we eat before we leave, doing our health a favour too!

I'll leave it here for now as it's turning into a novel!

Debt - CCV £3792

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • DebtFree2012
    Options
    Afternoon :)

I brought lunch in today so no spends for me. Spends in Aldi yesterday were £18.76 which are from grocery budget. No other spends yesterday or today though so that's good. Same for tomorrow all being well.

I haven paid Next's payment today which is £25 so I shall take that off the total amount. Slowly but surely.
    Debt - CCV £3792

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • Jubilee76
    Jubilee76 Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Debtfree :wave:

I love your positive posts. Well done on the food planning. I'm going to try my first slow cooker meal at the weekend. Not sure what to go for first. Love the thought of trying pulled pork.

Jubilee :D
    LBM no. 2 £20k :eek:
    1st debt to tackle - store card £216.70
  • DebtFree2012
    Options
    Hi there :)
    Ooh let me know if you do it and it works out. I do stews in mine mostly though I have a chicken one to do too. In fact I might put that on tonight.
    Just checked my other accounts and looking ok.
    Debt - CCV £3792

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • DebtFree2012
    Options
    Todays' figures look like this:

SLC £3318.9
    RBS £3918.07
    V £11438.44
    T £5490.04
    OD £963.28
    N £229.66
    L £14451.24

£39809.63

Cash left: £256.56

The £256.56 will go to diesel (£50) for this week and another for next week so £100 in total. I have £50 coming out for food shopping yesterday so £150 total so £106 left which I need grocery top up * 2 (£10 each time) leaving £86 and another Sunday shop of £40 leaving £46. This is needed to next months money as I have to pay farrier, dentist and back woman - all at once :( Obviously £46 isn't enough lol but it goes towards the pay packet next month.

January's pay (one week on Fri) is going to need to stretch big time. It's my DD birthday too but that won't cost too much - we're making a cake at home and she is getting a main present so not doing lots of spends other than that.

I've got £48 of vouchers for Tesco actually which we couldn't convert for xmas as they weren't doing it on what we wanted so I can use them for groceries. I'll plan that online. That means the remaining figure is £86 which will cover farrier and back woman.

I love a challenge!
    Debt - CCV £3792

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • DebtFree2012
    Options
    Groceries this week were slightly more than anticipated so I'm going to review what I bought and see why. Can't do that until tonight as purse is at home where I can't get to it to spend!

However tea is made as I did it in the SC - chicken and bacon stew so I will do a carb side with it and that will fill everyone nicely.

Tomorrow's tea needs to be made tonight and I've just realised that!!!! It's my long day tomorrow so I'm not in until late and everyone is always starving. I have no meat defrosted so I might have to do a stir fry tomorrow which is nice and easy I guess. Kids can have chicken dippers with some veg on the side as they won't eat stir fry and I want to avoid a fight.

I would like to bulk make but it seems everything I am making is getting used in a day or 2 so I guess I'm not bulk making enough!

In fact I will make some Lentil and Bacon soup tonight for my lunch tomorrow and so it's there.
    Debt - CCV £3792

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • DebtFree2012
    Options
    Evening :)
    Haven't made the soup yet as getting through the other bits first. Going to Aldi tomorrow for fruit and couple of bits of veg so that will do, should be less than £10.

Had a bit of a crazy couple of days - DH found a property he thought was great but long story short , it isn't so for now he's placated (it used to be me who was looking all the time). I need to get these debts paid off before I can think about moving. It did mean that I found out how much we could get a mortgage for if I had no credit commitments and I'm very pleased and it's something to work towards.

I have items on ebay at the moment but that certainly won't pay the debt off alone lol. It's helping tho.

Lottery win wouldn't go amiss given how impatient I am!

Spends for yesterday/today include paying the £25 I owed, put diesel in for £50, £20 for my riding lesson (this is my only me time I get, one hour a fortnight) and that's it.

No bulk cooking done yet.
    Debt - CCV £3792

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • DebtFree2012
    Options
    Morning :)

Well I've tried to change the spreadsheet to find some money somewhere and it's simply not forthcoming! No money has hidden itself anywhere that I can see. I've anticipated where I will have extra money to pay things off and can get all the cards paid (Assuming nothing drastically changes) with a final payment in August 2017! Given how quickly the last 3.5 years has gone by, this isn't too far away however I don't want it to come any quicker as it means my kids are growing up. That's only the cards tho, the loan is a fixed date of March 2018. I can probably save and pay it off earlier which I'd prefer to do as then I will have £600 + a month spare and I will feel it if it all comes at once where as if it's diluted into smaller amounts over a period of time, it will end up getting absorbed into everything else and won't feel like I have any extra cash.

I can't remember if I said but I needed a new paid of work shoes and I went out on Sat and had no appropriate shoes so I bought one pair that covered both :) I'm going to try and repair my old boots but I think they have done their innings. The boots were £10 over a year ago so I have had my monies worth. These shoes need to last me too but I wear them every day so they are not treat lightly.

Clothes wise I won't be getting anything new for work, I have a black skirt, trousers, dress and tops, tights and jackets so although I would like to have more no doubt (when spring comes round) I won't need any. Same for home - I bought loads for holidays last year so I'm good there. We have a holiday in June and kids may need a few new tshirts if they've outgrown theirs but Asda do cheap packs of nice colours. I have plenty of sandals for summer. I'm putting money away to that as I can to pay for the holiday.

The car insurance should be paid for when it comes round as I have savings for that and hope the quote to come down - a way off yet tho. I get a bonus in April normally and I will be putting as much as possible to the debt and some towards adding value to the house for when we do sell it at the end of this saga. Savings are in place for xmas 2014 and I'm continuing to keep my emergency fund.

Not alot else I can do at present which is frustrating!
    Debt - CCV £3792

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • DebtFree2012
    Options
    Oh and I managed to fix them hem of my work trousers which has been down for ages - using a needle and thread and not the wonder web which I can't get away with. Make do and mend!
    Debt - CCV £3792

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts