Looking for the silver lining

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Aw thanks Lucky - I know you have had your own embarrassing moment thanks to these damn brain injuries. The mad thing is that where we live has a Xmas market on every day and I can't believe such a big tourist attraction place as Stratford on Avon doesn't do this too. He will never live it down!

All was going well today (ish) until Mr SA decided to accompany me on the dog's final walk of the day before it got dark. We took her to the park across the road and unfortunately he fell and got covered in mud and has been shaky ever since also he has a headache as he jarred his head.

Big sigh. :(
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Big sigh indeed SA, gutted for you both.

Hope his head is ok and you have a peaceful night Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Forgot to add fridge freezer has been playing up for a couple of weeks now - meant to be frost free but has been frosting up and then at one stage started defrosting itself. Only bought it last August - possibly some of you might remember me having to replace most of my appliances last year when Mr SA was in hospital. I rang AO.com who I bought it off and they basically said tough it's out of guarantee. I said appliances should last a reasonable amount of time ie longer than 16 months and quoted Sale of Goods Act. They said where did you get this information from and I said one source was MSE website. They poo pooed this saying these sort of sites only tell you what you want to hear not whole truth. Anyway after much arguing I got them to admit I had a case and appliance should have lasted longer and the upshot is they are to pay for repair. So repair is planned for tomorrow. The annoying thing is that I bought 3 appliances from AO last year and took out insurance with all of them except for fridge freezer.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Evening, good on you for arguing your case, that was a good result, if annoying that it happened in the first place.

Take care of you please SA XXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Here we go again, another new week. Got the fridge freezer fixed, it needed a new fan, had to pay £85 so now have to claim this back.

Got a Christmas present for GD today - a teddy bear with a hat saying baby's first Xmas personalised with her name from Mothercare. Already got her a ball pond thing so that's it now. DS is saying they want to come here Xmas Day lunchtime - need to know for sure so I can make sure I've got enough food/drink. It would be nice - can't remember the last time I did Christmas Day lunch for guests, must have been when the kids were little. Will probably be reminded why we started going to the pub instead!

Mr SA feeling a lot better today thank goodness.
  • Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Waving madly

I am sorry Mr SA felt unable to go to counselling. I appreciate the first step and the thought of going can be too much of a hurdle to overcome... I hope that in the future he may feel able. X

I hope this week is better than last x
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Morning all - yawn been up for the past hour. Trying to make the most of the early morning peace and quiet, even the cats are sound asleep.

This week has been ok. Went for another Christmas lunch with some friends on Wednesday and had a really lovely time. Yesterday we had a buffet at work and a quiz which we do every year. Only one more week to go and then I break up for Christmas week off :) So ready for a break although I've managed to book myself up that week - dentist on the 22nd (having something done to a tooth not exactly sure what) and hairdressers on the 23rd followed by lunch with a friend. So not quite the lounging about week I was hoping for.

I've paid another £10 off debt so it now stands at £989 and started off my 2015 VSP - can't remember how much offhand will update later, think it's about £10-ish. Need to look at finances later today. Getting paid a week early for some reason, it's never happened before. Won't make any difference to me it'll just seem longer to January payday. Hoping to be sub-£500 by Christmas. Then I need to be debt free on January payday. The 0% ends mid February. If I'm careful about what I spend and keep chipping away it can be done.

Mr SA has been ok this week, same as usual really, sleeping a lot and he had an accident with the wheelie bin when he managed to pull it over on himself (goodness knows how!) but his carer was there thankfully.

Plans for today will probably mean going into town with Mr SA for the famous coffee that turns into lunch. Only need to get his present now and he needs to get me something. We always leave ours until last when we see what money we've got left. We could both do with a new perfume each so we'll see what's on offer.

Off to catch up with the other diaries now.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a shiny happy Saturday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Well back to Monday again far too soon but only 4 more work get ups to go and Christmas holidays start for me :) This week brings 2 work Christmas meals and DS's 30th birthday (shock horror how did I get to have a son so old!!!).

Had a nice-ish weekend, saw GD on Saturday afternoon, we went in town in the morning but Mr SA wasn't too good. We went to a craft fair in our town's castle but it was ruined by Mr SA's desperate search for the toilet. We'd only just left Cafe Nero where he went to the toilet so why the urgency I don't know. The thing is he can't wait and he has to go straightaway. Add to that his mobility issues - stumbling about and nearly falling over a couple of times - and it makes for a stressful morning. He spent most of Sunday recovering in bed and I ended up taking the dog out by myself again.

Today hasn't been a good day for him as he lost his ability to speak in a coffee shop when out with his carer. He tried to order a coffee and the words wouldn't come out so his career had to step in. This has upset him a lot. When I got home from work he was Googling "speech loss".

I got a Christmas present from one of the managers I work to today, which was nice, I will save it for Christmas Day. Talking of the big day, I'm not doing Christmas dinner, just a buffet as DS, GF and GD are going to her family for this, which is what I suspected would happen. She has a big family and her grandparents own a pub which they close to all but family and they have a big bash. Unfortunately we live too far to join in but I'm not bothered to be honest. They will come to us for lunch hence the buffet, they just want snacks. Bought some paper plates and matching napkins today. At least I know what I'm doing now.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Sorry to hear Mr SA's woes. I know there is no 'normal' when it comes to brain injury, but is losing speech in the realms of usual problems? I bet it was scary for him, bless him.

Shame you can't join in with the festivities in the pub, but it sounds like it will be a lovely day anyway with the special people and then some chill out time.

Hope DS has a wonderful 30th birthday Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills