Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain

Options

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    thepap82 wrote: »
    I have just registered here on MSE just so I can post about this company. Goldcar is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with, and I mean EVER.

<snip>

Apart from all of this...why no mention of your excess car hire insurance? Did you purchase any from rentalcars or from your own source?
    Otherwise, it certainly wasn't wise to decline their waiver. Usually people decline because they have standalone insurance.
    So hopefully you purchased relatively inexpensive standalone insurance. Certainly less than £15 for a week.
    You owed it to yourself to protect against this clearly special company.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thepapa82, did your car have a goldcar sticker on the rear windscreen?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • lh99
    Options
    Goldcar car hire (negative) review (August 2016 Majorca)
    A rather nasty experience one would rather avoid directly at the start of a holiday!
    Should have looked at review ratings beforehand – I am one of what is now evident to be a long list of unhappy customers.
    Here’s my experience:
    Arrived at the counter, a bit of a queue but that’s not unreasonable. Impersonal, drone like staff from the off. Cursory look at the booking and straight into insurance. I advised my own excess policy in place (cost me about £50 for the year from an online firm). Objections were:
    - We will charge you 600 euro’s even for a small scratch
    - We will take 2000 euro’s from your credit card now and return up to 60 days after the end of your rental period
    - Trash talking ‘my policy’ down as unlikely to pay out in ‘their experience’..
    Was ready for all that even if taken aback by the aggressiveness of it, so went for the cc payment. I do not have a cc but my wife does however they said this is not acceptable (despite my wife being fully listed as the second driver with licence details etc). I can pay by debit card but the money leaves the account for 60 days etc so not doing that. We had an argument. The guy was so laid back I can only imagine he goes through the same routine many times a day and is probably on a commission. Looked to my left and right and sure enough similar arguments ensuing along the counter!
    Their position was either you pay by your debit card or you don’t get the car and your pre-paid rental is not returned because its your decision. So, what can you do? Upset wife and kids behind me, just want to get on our way – they wore me down and so I paid the insurance – sticks in my craw but they know this is the eventual outcome in most situations. £200 for 14 days. Insisted I paid by my debit card rather than cc – I suppose to avoid the 2% fee – not money grabbing at all!
    Another nice surprise was the inability to return the car fully fuelled to avoid paying for fuel at ‘their rate’ because ‘even if you return full we will check and top up’. The reason for this I have discovered in the terms and conditions is that they charge a ‘refuelling admin fee’. I actually returned the car about 10 miles after fully refuelling and was eventually charged about 73 euros, of which probably about max 5 euros was fuel! Thanks Goldcar.
    The car was a 2 year old focus and mechanically sound but bodywork had about 10-12 dents and scrapes of the ‘600 euro’ category! Did not affect the functioning but had I not had their insurance it would have been an interesting discussion on return as to which scrapes would have been my fault.
    I have hired many cars over the years both for business and pleasure and whilst I am sure there are some reputable independents out there I have now resolved to pay a bit more on the web price by only using one of the large companies (I am nothing to do with this industry by the way) – they will be professional and courteous and whilst will all offer additional insurance, my experience is that they will politely accept that I have my own cover in place and it will not be a problem.
    I rarely submit reviews, things sometimes go wrong and most companies genuinely try and sort things out, but I felt Goldcar clearly have such a reprehensible approach to prying unnecessary payments out of their customers when they are at their most vulnerable, e.g. just landed, need the car, family in tow etc, that I felt I needed to share this story. PLEASE AVOID!
  • kevn42000_
    kevn42000_ Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 September 2016 at 12:29PM
    Options
    On the last Thursday in August, I arrived with my girlfriend and her son at Arrecife airport in Lanarote and picked up the keys for a Toyota Yaris from a blonde English girl in her 20s in Goldcar’s airport office (as we were first to pick up our luggage, there was no-one else waiting to pick up a car, so no queue). I had purchased full insurance for the rental of the car at the time of booking through the website I used - Atlaschoice. I examined the car, which had not been cleaned and noticed that the rear panel that runs from one side of the boot to the other under the rear lights was not affixed properly, as a result of - presumably - a previous driver reversing and hitting a high pavement or similar (there were scratches on the paintwork to this effect). I took photos of the damage and the gap where the fixing was not flush and went to show the rep at the office (I had not been given any form to mark damage to the vehicle). She asked if I had my own insurance and when I said I had, she said there would be no problem if I had photographic evidence of the fault before I drove the car. As I did, I foolishly accepted her word for it. On Tuesday 30th August, I was driving the car and heard a knocking sound - the panel on one side had come out of its fixings and was loose. Some bumpy roads had dislodged it and strong winds were knocking it against the car. I was headed past the airport so stopped in to get them to either fix this problem or replace the car. A different rep - a Spanish Zinedine Zidane lookalike - examined the car and told me that as I had my own insurance I had to get the car fixed and claim it back. He completely refused to believe the car had been issued to me with a fault and was not interested in my photographic evidence. I was surprised, and simply put the panel back in its fixings as it had been when I collected it. I had no intention of going through the hassle of getting the car repaired and having to reclaim the cost from the insurers for damage I was not responsible for.

On September 1st 2016, we were headed home and drove to the airport, fortunately in good time for our flight. I returned the car, ensuring the panel was as I had collected it - and took more photos. Before I went to return the keys I foresaw potential problems - my suspicions had been aroused by another driver I had spoken to about the company’s reputation and the attitude shown when I brought the car in to show them the consequences of their issuing it as it had been confirmed I would need as much proof as possible. I intended to video (on my iPhone) my handing over the keys and my informing the staff the car was as I had collected it, with the faulty panel. There was a queue of people waiting to (I assume) collect rental cars, and only two staff, but as soon as the Zidane lookalike spotted me, he grabbed an iPad and we went to examine the car. He seemed very keen, almost smelling blood. I filmed him as he ripped away the rear panel from its fixings and told me I had not fixed the fault – continuing his refusal to acknowledge, in spite of my photographic evidence - that the car was given to me in the same condition. I requested he phone his colleague that issued me the car to get her to confirm to him that I had notified her of the fault the previous Thursday but he refused to do this. What I should have done was to get her to put something in writing at the time but hindsight is a wonderful thing and at that stage of a long journey, your mind is not quite as on the ball as it should be. Anyway, he objected to me videoing him ripping the panel away and said he would call the police. He physically mandhandled me when I refused to give him the phone to delete the video and at that stage I became verbally aggressive and told him to get them by all means. I returned to my girlfriend who was waiting in the terminal with the luggage and managed to transfer the video to my laptop while he was getting hold of the police. So after making the transfer, I allowed him to delete the video on the phone (although I could later recover it from the deleted folder anyway). In reality, the video was not high quality as the car park was fairly dingy, but he was not to know this. He asked me to write down my version of events on a form which he then refused to photocopy for me - it was not even signed and there were no other details on the form that I filled in. I took phone photos of the form instead. I feared the worst and that my credit card would be charged most of the 1100 euros deposit I had to leave on picking up the car as I had no need for Goldcar’s own insurance. However, I had my evidence and was ready to fight.

The following day, I attempted to phone the Goldcar office at the airport in the hope of getting hold of the English girl that had issued me with the car, partly just to get a name, even if she would not confirm our conversation. I got through to a call centre, they asked for my booking reference and was told that the case was closed and that I would be getting my 1100 euros deposit back. I was still charged 55 euros for using half a tank of petrol, but reading the accounts of others, considered I had got off lightly. Three days later, the deposit has been returned to my credit card as available to spend, so it does look like they dropped the case. My suspicion is that my statement, indicating before and after photographic evidence, and my videoing of the rep ripping the panel away made them decide against trying it on in this instance. I also think that this car has been rented more than once with the fault and that, as it can be patched up to look almost ok to anyone not inspecting the car properly, it is being used to charge people who have their own insurance from their 1100 euro deposit after they have dropped the car off – assuming that the panel has stayed in place for the duration of the hire. And the repair not even being done.

I was lucky I had the presence of mind to examine the car thoroughly before driving it, and take photos, then take more photos on my return and video the rep ripping off the panel – and him coming to do that was probably only a consequence of my coming in two days before to report the result of hiring me a car with this fault. Reading all the online accounts of victims’ experiences of this company, it looks like others have been more trusting and less fortunate. The long and short of it though is that I should never have accepted the car in the first instance. It had not been cleaned and was not fit for purpose. The Goldcar rep denied they would ever allow a car out in this condition, which is simply a lie. But it appears that deceit is the stock in trade of Goldcar. Unfortunately, some car hire rental sites do not inform you of who you are actually renting from before you make the booking. In future, I will not book on these, unless I am informed in advance who the company hiring out the vehicle is, in case I get Goldcar. I expect to get stung for a tank of overpriced petrol. But not to pay hundreds for damage I did not commit, even if I am able to claim it back through a third party insurance policy. So I entirely agree with so many posters on this and other websites – never, ever, rent from Goldcar.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there a simple way to ensure that you do not end up with Goldcar when you are using a comparison site
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Probably to book with the major car hire companies direct. You still need to make sure what you're getting such as full full fuel and insurance cover but always check their terms and conditions first. I booked with Avis when I stayed in Marbella and took out the extra insurance cover before I left home, I spent 10 minutes explaining that I had this extra cover when picking up the car then found that as a preferred customer it was already included, always check before you leave home.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many broker websites tell you who it is before booking, others have a free cancellation policy for the first 24hrs after booking. Also look out for the fuel policy.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • james_quinn
    Options
    On November 24th 2016, I rented a car from Goldcar, Alicate airport, SPAIN.

I had booked it through DoYouSpain who quoted 42.31 euros to be paid to Goldcar.

I presented my booking voucher for collecting the car. I have my own car rental insurance included with my Saga travel insurance policy. I was told I must pay a deposit to Goldcar in case of serious damage and my Saga insurance would reimburse me if I damaged the vehicle. They said this amount would be refunded to me if the car was returned undamaged.

The cost of this deposit was 1,260.33 euros + tax, totalling 1525 euros. This was due to be paid by Credit card. I presented my card and PIN. However,the lady at Goldcar, while walking away from the desk, said that the machine did not accept my card a. nd I must find another way to pay but not by cash.

I explained my Credit card worked perfectly well and I always it for almost everything.

I entered my card and PIN again, but after turning the machine away from me, she insisted that the card was faulty. I was suspicious because I had used the card earlier. I could not read the machine and I wondered if she was being truthful.

My wife was panicking and said that she could pay with her credit card which is the same account as mine. The lady refused this, saying the card had to be in my name as the driver. She said she could only accept my Debit card and nothing else.

I presented my Debit card. I paid a total of £1410,02. On leaving the Goldcar desk, I immediately went to the pharmacy to test and use my Credit card and it worked perfectly. It has continued to work since.

I returned the undamaged car 4 days later on 28/11/2016.

When I received my bank statement, the Golcar refund was only £1291.06 instead of around £1372, i.e. £1410.02 less car hire charge approx £38.02. The refund was approximately £80 short.

When I contacted GoldcarI, they emailed me saying that it was down to the variable exchange rate.

However, when I looked closely, at the receipt from the macine, in very, very small writing, it stated the exchange rate is GBP1.00 - 1.111549 euros which includes a 2% Mark Up over wholesale rate. This 2% explains the deficit in my refund.

The exchange rate did not vary by very much in the 4 days I rented the car.

My Credit card worked perfectly during the rest of the holiday and still does. Everwhere else I exchanged GBP to Euros, the Mark Up was Zero,

They forced me to use my Debit card and pay their 2% Mark Up, coming to approximately £80 for 4 days.

I still have my DoYouSpain Booking Confirmation Voucher which states :

"Payment on Arrival by Credit Card Only"

I strongly believe I was conned into using my Debit card in order to scam me out of £80. I could not see what she did with the machine.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately your experiences have occurred many times before and have been reported on this Forum. Goldcar is probably the worst, but not the only by any means, offenders.

I'd suggest reading the many previous posts and look for any helpful advice.
  • james_quinn
    Options
    Many thanks for your genuine concern. I'll read more of Goldcar's underhand tricks scams and try to find somehow to get my £80 back.:T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback