Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain

Options

Comments

• leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pity you didn't find the other 13 pages of complaints on here, and the thousands of complaints about them on TA, before booking. Even a quick google would have given you enough info to avoid them.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 May 2016 at 8:21PM
    Options
    If only there was a way of warning people before they book.

Unfortunately you don't always know who the hire car will be supplied by if you use an agent as you usually only receive the final travel documents 7 days before departure and you've always paid the full amount for your holiday by then.
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The OP booked via doyouspain, and they clearly show you which company the car is being booked with.
  • nickcc
    Options
    The OP booked via doyouspain, and they clearly show you which company the car is being booked with.

I wasn't referring to the post you commented on as I didn't quote it. My post was intended as a general comment regarding dodgy car rental/hire companies.
  • blakeo88
    Options
    Having encountered an additional charge on my credit card from GoldCar on the 25th May 2016 for an excessive amount of money (this was after a 2 day booking last week) I called the customer service team who informed me that I need to email their address and raise this query. I spoke with an Eva (surname not given) in Majorca.

What had started off as a £27.66 has gradually increased to the amount of £215.55.

We are still trying to figure out why but, after seeing these forums, it could be due to a number of reasons. I will keep you posted on the outcome.
  • nick130968
    Options
    If I can give any one of you advice DO NOT use this company Gold Car they rip you off and then do not come back to you when you contact them, they took 95 euros for a deposit on fule took the car back full up and they said that it was empty, and this was why they would not refund.I can assure you that it was cheaper to fill up then lose 95 euros scumbags pass on to anyone that may think of using them
  • riped_off
    Options
    When I arrived at Malta airport I went to the GOLD CAR counter and presented my car hire voucher and insurance document, I was told that the AXA insurance that I had already purchased was no good and that I needed the purchase their own insurance, when I pointed to the AXA insurance document the man became very aggressive and bulling and kept saying it was not any good, and that I needed their own cover. I felt really intimidated and trapped as I had already paid for the car hire and insurance on line, so ended up buying their insurance ( 199.95 Euros). I had the feeling of being scammed on my mind for the whole holiday which somewhat spoiled it for me. I don’t normally complain but feel that this needs to be addressed as it obviously must be happening to others too, and possible because of how long it takes to send documents etc these may not be complaining.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    riped_off wrote: »
    when I pointed to the AXA insurance document
    This was your mistake. Your separate cover is no business of the car hire firm, and there's no need to mention it. You just decline their cover firmly without giving reasons.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • nickcc
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    This was your mistake. Your separate cover is no business of the car hire firm, and there's no need to mention it. You just decline their cover firmly without giving reasons.

Then you leave yourself open to Goldcar's usual tricks which have been posted throughout this thread. The only answer must be to avoid these unscrupulous hire/rental companies and pay a little extra and go with the major suppliers, unfortunately most people only become aware of these con artists after the event as most complaining posters are first time posters.
  • Nikiya
    Nikiya Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    After I published this message elsewhere in this forum, a fellow user told me to add it to this thread. Having read some of the messages, I am glad that, being fluent Spanish speakers, we managed to avoid buying their policy as most people seem to have done. We still overpaid as narrated below. I also want to say it is not SO EASY to find reviews. I did Google Goldcar before going ahead but I only read some people had to queue. I still have to complain to Rentalcars and will do so. In the meantime I'll do as much as possible to report these dodgy practices. Here's my original post:
    We rented a small car for a week in Majorca through Opodo. However, car rentals through "Opodo" are really through "Rentalcars". And neither of them lets you leave a review. Still, I want to warn my fellow travelers.
    The agreement seemed convenient: full coverage and rental for around 80 pounds. But Goldcars are a complete rip-off: firstly, we waited longer than two hours at their desk and ended up arriving at our hotel at 11pm instead of 7.30 or 8pm as expected. They take this long because they are understaffed and speak poor English but ALSO because they try to get you to cancel your policy with Rentalcars saying they ONLY cover for accidents but you are at risk of not being covered if your car gets damaged any other way. Of course, their policy is more expensive. We spoke to Rentalcars on the phone and they told us that was not true, so we did not buy Goldcars’ policy.
    They also sell you a full tank at overinflated prices --about 100% more expensive, on account of several taxes and “upgrades” (??). You have no choice but to pay, so we had to cough up about 80 euros for 40 euros worth of petrol.
    You are supposed to bring back the car empty, which of course is very difficult. I also wonder if the petrol dial is not doctored since the tank seemed empty but it ended up half full after we got 16 euros worth of petrol. Supposedly they'll reimburse the excess petrol, but we still have to find out if they deliver and at what price --certainly not the selling one. We also had to leave a €1200 deposit which is going to be reimbursed a month later.
    Someone published a similar warning in this forum in 2010. I wish I knew how to add the link here.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback