PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 14th August 2017

Options
Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,338 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 17 August 2017 at 10:09PM in Old style MoneySaving

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Ok Here goes this Week...

Monday Minging & Flinging - Kitchen and Dining Room
Level One...
Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
Level Two..
Sweep and mop floors
Sort & clean oven and hob
Wipe dining table.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
Level Three...
Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
Wipe & declutter all the windows sills in these areas!!
Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances .. don't forget those kick boards..
Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer, cooker hood and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!

Extras
  • Clean the fridge.. it is smelly!!
  • Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
  • 31 fling boogie..
  • GO! buy yourself some flowers from the shop.. your reward for making the kitchen shine!
  • Empty the bin.. wash it out.. and make it smell SWEET

Tuesday Triumphs - Bathroom and Study/Pc Area
Level One...
Clear floors of guff and stuff
Level Two...
Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside! and sinks. Make them sparkle, sparkle!!!!
Clear any clutter from desk
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Level Three...
Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains, shower curtains etc
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.. defragment your pc while doing this.
Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!
Hoover/Sweep and mop and deslop the floors in these rooms.
Collect all the dirty laundry

Extras!
  • MAD half hour
  • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
  • Empty the cupboard and clean it out.. colour ordered bottles inside!
  • Fling all those empty bottles and tubes, do you really need that empty shower gel bottle?
  • If you have a shelf.. empty and clean it
  • Grab yourself a toothbrush and scrub the manky bits between the tiles

Wednesday Thllliiing!- Master Bedroom & Landing
Level One..
Check fire alarms are working
Remove and wash bed linen and duvet covers.
Fling open the window and let in the rain sunnyness
Level Two..
Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs..
Vacuum & turn mattress before replacing with fresh linen..
Air the duvet
15 minutes floordrobe clearance
Level Three..
Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
Sort through a cupboard and find 10 things to get rid of!
Freshen up any curtains or bedding that needs doing!
Extras
  • MAD half hour….
  • 34 fling boogie time, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
  • Clean all the upstairs door frames
  • Clean windows in these rooms
  • Do half hour clearing of the place you hate doing the most..

Thursday twirls- Living Room, Hall and Stairs
Level One..
Vacuum floors and sofas
Declutter and dust the mantlepiece if you have one, if not shelves/units..
Level Two...
Dusting, even if around everything
Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
Clean the windows
Level Three...
Wipe and water plants - how about giving the leaves a nice shine too. I hear milk or banana skins are good for this :D
Put all your hotspots in one pile and work your way through it..
Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself - pregnant ladies and those that aren't allowed/can't move things get someone else to do this for you!

Extras..
  • MAD half hour….
  • HHI
  • Wipe down any paintwork that needs it.
  • Binbag dance.. Get a binbag.. fill it and bin it!!!
  • Wash any cushions, throws or curtains that need it

Friday Flyday- those frightening kids rooms and spare rooms
Level One..
Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Spend at least half an hour doing something for yourself!!!!!
Level Two..
Vacuum the floor
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade and curtain pole!!!
Strip beds, turn and vacuum mattresses!! and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!! Wash the curtains!
Level Three..
Clean 2 windows
Tidy a chest of drawers/wardrobe/floordrobe!
Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
Extras..
  • MAD half hour….
  • Find 5 things to ebay/freecycle
  • Wipe the radiators, skirtings and window & door frames!
  • HHI
  • End of week fling!! grab a binbag and fill it with stuff to leave the house.. rubbish or charity shop or to donate to a friend!
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am in. My kitchen definitely needs cleaning - see end of last week's thread! But jam first.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you to Valli for last week's thread and to Natty for starting us off on the right foot (wing?) again this week. I am aiming for at least Level 1 each day, and still plodding on with the !*:(*! assignment.

Haven't achieved a great deal today because we went to DGD's 5th birthday party, where we all had a fun time :j and I have eaten synful food :eek:

Welcome to newbies :wave:
    Congratulations to dancemum on your SW success :T Hope DS2 gets another befriender soon.
    Wish I could help further, pigpen, but I think you've had plenty of sound advice already.

(((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round x
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in as I got a bit waylaid last week by the arrival of two new cats.

Thank you Valli for last week and Natty for this.

My kitchen needs a good clean so I'm looking forward to tackling it tomorrow :D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    greent.. ty for sharing.. I asked them to do a hysterectomy when I had to go back to theatre after a massive PPH after Twinkle. I can't get in the bath anyway so that isnt an issue but I do sometimes sit uncomfortably on my innards lol. That was very helpful and reassuring, ty.

packed for the jollies.. car mostly loaded.. just need bedding, teddies, laptops and knitting!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 August 2017 at 11:12PM
    Options
    I'm in. Actually I am in the bath after a skinful. Sorry Honey Bear. A minor relapse, that I have enjoyed thus far, sorry...

Much planned for this week. Let's see how it goes!

FWIW I had no problem convincing my surgeon to sterilise me after Tiny. DH already had two kids before I met him and I was an elderly first time mum! Good luck Piggers xxx
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    I am in. My kitchen definitely needs cleaning - see end of last week's thread! But jam first.

My kitchen is clean. Convinced Himself to do it with vague promises of fruit based sorcery.

We now have a small kilner full of Summer Fruits, Elderflower and Lemon jam. And Himself thinks I'm some sort of witchy miracle worker because I can bake bread, cakes and make jam without instructions and grow things in the garden that we can eat. Is it really that remarkable?

He wandered back upstairs with the wooden spoon and came back to announce that he's booked us two nights in a little hotel in a fortnight. [falls over in shock] Whilst practically trying to suck the berry stains out of the spoon, as he'd already got every scrap of jam off it.

If I get a hotel booking in return for jam, what on earth is he going to do if I can get to the blackthorns I've spotted on my conservationing expeditions after the first frost before anybody else and let him know that I can make sloe gin? Or that I've got fiendish (and tasty) plans regarding a crabapple tree and a field of wild marjoram?

SunnyGirl wrote: »
    I'm in as I got a bit waylaid last week by the arrival of two new cats.

Thank you Valli for last week and Natty for this.

My kitchen needs a good clean so I'm looking forward to tackling it tomorrow :D

Photos, please - or it hasn't happened and you're just making excuses!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in - thanks Natty :A Hope you and Dave ave a better week xx

I have a fairly free week this week and, as I'm away for a few days from next Monday, I am aiming to do 2 hours a day in the house and then reward myself with cross stitching / watching a film / online time!!! Is it sad that I need a work / reward system :o

I have LOTS of courgettes, kale and runner beans from Dad's garden so have been looking for some recipes . . . . also a bit confused re info about freezing them - any advice? Ta

pigpen - I have no info for you but really hope you get things sorted soon x

Ok, list . . .

Monday Minging & Flinging - Kitchen

Level One...

Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces

Level Two..
    Vacuum floor
    Clean oven and hob

Level Three...
    Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances .. don't forget those kick boards..
    Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!!

Extras
    31 fling boogie..
    Collect parcel
    Clean 1 rat cage
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options

Photos, please - or it hasn't happened and you're just making excuses!

Haha :rotfl: how do I post them?
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 August 2017 at 8:58AM
    Options
    I'm in again this week. I'm back in work part time next week after 9 months of maternity leave, so I'm determined to get the house in a good state this week to make it easier to keep on top of things.

Monday Minging & Flinging - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One...
    [STRIKE]Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces[/STRIKE]
    Level Two...
    Sweep and mop floors
    Sort & clean oven and hob
    [STRIKE]Wipe dining table.. (clean table cloth if necessary)[/STRIKE]
    Level Three...
    Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
    Check those washing machine filters and drawers for ickiness!! Tumble dryer, cooker hood and dishwasher filters need to be done too!!

Extras
    [STRIKE]Clean the fridge.. it is smelly!![/STRIKE]
    Wipe down any tiles and shine those taps.. a toothbrush is great for cleaning away the gunk!
    31 fling boogie..
    GO! buy yourself some flowers from the shop.. your reward for making the kitchen shine!
    Empty the bin.. wash it out.. and make it smell SWEET
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,304 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Enjoy the holiday Pigpen.

Busy weekend, got all the laundry done (except cricket whites which are soaking because I just have no idea how I am going to get them clean), washed windows, dusted and tidied.

Have decided that my clothes need a cull so that might be on my MAD list.

Washed the kitchen bin out last night but some bits of the kitchen need attention. Lots of paid stuff to do and I really should get myself to the gym.

Have a good Monday everyone x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport