Emerging from the dark - a dfw diary

Options

Comments

• Chrysalis1976
    Options
    Good morning, in confusion this morning as I can't figure out why the kids get up so early in the holidays and yet I have to drag them out of bed for school :p

Logged into banking and £1.20 had been paid from Qu*dco so have transferred this to overdraft 1 before I decide to use it.

Last night I sat down and wrote a list of everything we need to purchase before September and it's quite a list:

dd school tshirts, school jumpers, school shoes
    ds school trousers, school shoes

Best friend is getting married on 11th September so need suit and shoes for dh, he doesn't have anything smart but we have another wedding next year so can be used again.
    I will also need a dress as I tend to wear sporty clothes and trainers the majority of the time, I'm not a girly girl.

I think there was something else but dd has borrowed my note book, I'll get most of the uniform at a supermarket but will have to get jumpers with school logo on so more expensive. Dh suit will be new but I'll look for discount vouchers, I may look in the charity shops in town first as I probably won't wear the dress much.

Cheapy day today, off for a walk up to the waterfall and taking a picnic, no fuel costs as the path starts from across the road to my house :T
    Loan from Mum £500/£300
    DH computer £270.06/PAID :T
    Kids computer £854.33/46.18 :eek:
    Bike £276.15/118.35
    Overdraft £1192/0 :eek:
    Car £5374.04/316.12 :eek:
  • Chrysalis1976
    Options
    Hi all, had a lovely few days with the kids we went to watch a local athletics competition which was really exciting some great youngsters that are competing for their respective country of Wales, Scotland or Ireland it will be interesting to see if any of them go on to the senior squads.

Had a beach day yesterday before it starting pouring with rain and hasn't stopped since. I'm working today and tomorrow and then need to see what the weather will be like the rest of the week.

I've been doing my spending diary and as thought most of the spends are on food so far but this is on things we need such as bread, fruit and packed lunch things. We still have a lot of food from main shop done last Tuesday to make meals but the little bits are starting to run out.

Also very embarrassed to have made a mistake on my o/d figure as I read it as needing to pay back £195 which would have been the whole balance of the overdraft availability not the remaining figure to take it back to £0 :o so instead of £195 I actually owed £305! No wondered I'm in debt when I can't even add up a simple sum.

Anyway back on the correct figures, I've paid £15 pounds into the account today and along with the £1.20 from the other day my balance owed is now £211.20 (I had previously paid £50).

I must pay more attention!
    Loan from Mum £500/£300
    Bike £276.15/118.35
  • JoeyGrey
    JoeyGrey Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on your progress so far Chrysalis. Keep chipping away at it, you'll be moving onto to debt number two before you know it.
    :j
    I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine and he shall be my Squishy.
  • Chrysalis1976
    Options
    Thanks Joey you're right the little bits will build up, just need to keep plodding on.

Had a down day yesterday was really fed up with being so stupid with money and not being able to do what we want as a family. Over the course of the day I realised that we've just got to get on with it, it's our problem to rectify and we are lucky to have good health, good jobs and wonderful kids. Spent ages yesterday doing surveys and a whole weeks allocation of adpoints.

Things are really tight for the rest of the month and any inspirations thoughts are most welcome, had to buy dh new glasses today as the tape keeping his current ones (think jack duckworth) is not going to last and they are generally on their way out. DH had a free eye test last week and I've ordered 2 pairs for 1 from GD using the code from :money: So a normal pair and a pair of sunnies for £38 :T

However we are left with £100 to last until 20th when I get child benefit in and then I get paid on 22nd, from this money I need to get diesel, food and ds birthday present. I've been through the food cupboards, fridge and freezer and made up some interesting meals, I've said to the kids that I'm running them down to clean them but I'm trying not to do a shop for as long as possible.

MSE things today:

Go to library as trip out with kids
    Make another batch of washing powder (I have enough for at least 4 more batches)
    Try and sell some more things on faceache
    Get dh to make some bread later

C x
    Loan from Mum £500/£300
    Bike £276.15/118.35
  • Chrysalis1976
    Options
    Well I have slipped a bit, cost of ds birthday and food has meant I have had to dip into the overdraft so now -£450 :o. Really need to get sorted.

Was paid child benefit yesterday and get wages tomorrow so will be starting new budget sorting straight away including making up envelopes ready for school until next payday so them I will not use them. I also need to get all the uniform and things for best friend's wedding out of this pay, almost forgot Grandad's birthday present too. We're going back to my home town next weekend so see family, staying at my brother's house so just cost of fuel and food at his.

I have also decided to use child benefit and money from a watch that is currently being sold on eb*y to completely pay off the V8ry account and close it. I think this will give me a boost.

My spending diary has got haywire so I think I may go back to to writing in my accounts book which I take off everything that is due to be paid first and tick off when cleared so I have an accurate picture of my balance. I check online everyday anyway but this is more visual for me.

I'm off work for 2 weeks so spending as much time doing surveys etc to boost the coppers.

C x
    Loan from Mum £500/£300
    Bike £276.15/118.35
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Hi Chrysalis1976.

Loving the diary, you are doing really well and have got off to a great start.

Have you got DH a suit yet, My DH got one from Matalan a few months ago for a wedding, can't remember how much it was but I know it was quite reasonable in price and they had loads of styles to choose from, might be worth a look as they have a sale on a the minute.

Off to subscribe.x.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • TripsandSmiles
    Options
    Hey, not sure if you are still looking for suits for your husband but have you tried Asos? My OH always gets his from there.. Really good price and although its an online shop its free returns so he orders loads just to try sizes. X
    Debt total (21/09/13) - [STRIKE]£4076.51[/STRIKE] £4015.00 :eek: :eek:
    Month 2 Overpayments: £60.27 /£100
    1% challenge (started 26/08/13): £21.27 - 2.5% /100%
    :cool:
  • Chrysalis1976
    Options
    Thanks both, will suggest to dh about the 2 places I know he wants to try on a suit so will pop into town (across the road) to have a look first to get measurements and then suggest he looks online before making a decision.

I'm going to look around the charity shops first for a dress, will probably need some shoes too but hate buying heels - I live in my daps!
    Loan from Mum £500/£300
    Bike £276.15/118.35
  • Chrysalis1976
    Options
    A good couple of days, I've so far managed to get kids uniforms, excluding a couple of jumpers that need the school logo on, for a price that has not broken the bank. I've also been in to the bank branch to withdraw the money to pay for after school club and lunches and put into envelopes ready for school.

Watch sold last night and after fees I've netted £80 which I transferred to the bank, the statement for the V*ry account comes out tomorrow so will hang fire then pay the whole lot in full :j

I have also received the envelope to recycle an old mobile phone so this will then be used towards the overdraft again.

I have restarted my account book so that every outgoing is recorded and ticked off as they clear in my account, therefore I can see exactly how much I have for the rest of the month and know what to budget for.

Yay to progress!

C x
    Loan from Mum £500/£300
    Bike £276.15/118.35
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Hi, well done on selling the watch and for organising money for school items.

I also have an account book, feels like I'm doing it the old fashioned way but find it so much easier to keep track of money by having everthing written down, ticking off and being able to see what is left to come in/out.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure