Atos assessment for PIP, I know they are gonna trick me but how?

What do I have to expect they are so underhand and care only about money not truth.

HOW DO I PASS THEIR UNFAIR ASSESSMENT WHAT DOES THE PIP ASSESSMENT LOOK LIKE?

I HAVE SOME QUITE EXTREME MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,664 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 April 2018 at 2:18PM
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Just be open and honest with them. You'll have heard a lot more bad stories than good because people are, well people.

I thankfully hadn't looked at anything online prior to mine, but was still dreaeding it and had been since they started the roll out. It was absolutely fine. Strange and a bit stressful, but the nurse just asks a series of questions, similar to those on the form, has a discussion and that's it.

Just be honest and open
  • LifeIsHard
    LifeIsHard Posts: 14 Forumite
    Not true ive delt with them before, I couldn't attend because of mental health problems then because I didn't attend I didn't get paid, its a catch 22 trick if I had attended they would have declared me fit for work and not got paid. THEY ARE PURE SCUM!
  • LifeIsHard
    LifeIsHard Posts: 14 Forumite
    w06 wrote: »
    Just be open and honest with them. You'll have heard a lot more bad stories than good because people are, well people.

I thankfully hadn't looked at anything online prior to mine, but was still dreaeding it and had been since they started the roll out. It was absolutely fine. Strange and a bit stressful, but the nurse just asks a series of questions, similar to those on the form, has a discussion and that's it.

Just be honest and open

Not true ive delt with them before, I couldn't attend because of mental health problems then because I didn't attend I didn't get paid, its a catch 22 trick if I had attended they would have declared me fit for work and not got paid. THEY ARE PURE SCUM!

REALLY BAD ADVISE PAL
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    LifeIsHard wrote: »

REALLY BAD ADVISE PAL

No good advise actually and I would suggest you read the link that elsien posted especially the part where its made clear that if you do not turn up your claim will be rejected.

I note you say that you are going to fail you will be found 'fit for work' now that worries me because PIP is a benefit that people who work can claim its not a work related assessment its an assessment to see if you can claim additional help for your disabilities, on another thread you state you are on ESA, so you are getting the benefits that are work related.

I am going to be charitable here and will assume that your 'shouting' (use of caps) calling people scum and thinking you are going to be tricked is because of your mental health disability other wise you come across as entitled and bitter with the assumption that your word should just be taken with no additional proof, and that attitude (on this board) will make some people reluctant to help you.

You ARE going to have to have an assessment for the additional help you feel you need so elsiens link is a good start, what support do you have within your family and friends, can you get someone to come along with you to the assessment? what support do you have from your GP or mental health team do you have someone in a professional capacity who can advise you, have you approached CAB or any mental health charities in other words what are you doing to help yourself get a better outcome.

If you can, give us an idea of your problems, how they affect you day to day because there will be someone on here who has the same problems themselves, have family members with the same problems or work with and advise people with the same problems just saying you have extreme mental health problems does not give people a lot to go on.

I hope you come back with some information to let us help you further as even though you may not have meant it your 'bad advise pal' comment to another poster came across as a tad rude to someone trying to give you the benefit of their own experience
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You've had some good advice, Wo6's advice was great too, not bad. As London said PIP isn't about work and you can't be found for for work with this assessment.
    Did you send proof with your claim, if so what proof have you sent? It's all about proving those descriptors apply to you.
    I've had 2 PIP assessments in the last 3 years. Like you i was very nervous for both. Yes all you read online in bad but it's not all bad. After my assessment i thought to myself "well it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be" I had really nice assessors both times. It's not always a good idea to read too much into it before these assessments because there's some scary stories out there. People don't tell the good ones because if they have a possitive outcome they have nothing to tell or ask.
    My advice like London said is take someone with you if you can. Answer those questions with as much detail as possible and be honest and truthful. Good luck.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite

REALLY BAD ADVISE PAL

well it's what I did and served me well

Assuming that they're " PURE SCUM!" won't help at all. They're people doing their job to decide who the government should give over £7000 a year. Not attending will almost inevitably result in your claim being closed.

PIP has nothing to do with fitness to work.
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    Some good advice there. But I do wish that people would understand that being put in front of a stranger and trying to remain calm and collected is difficult. You are on 'their' turf so to speak - they control the way the assessment proceeds - they will or will not allow you to waffle on - they want a simple yes or no answer. Then we have the human bit - people are either shy or reticent to go into any detail of a subject or problem that they find distressing. Mental health is the most difficult subject to talk about. As an example on my PIP2 form I did not want to give details about some aspects of my mental health difficulties - preferring, as I do in normal life, to keep it to myself, pretending that it isn't there. The effects of it still exist but are now hidden by the way that I have adapted my life to fit around the problems - no one would ever know what the real reason is for some of my apparent weird actions.
    What I am trying to say is that you are in their hands and it takes an extremely brave and confident person to take back the control of the assessment and demand that the assessor listens & takes down notes of everything you say. It isn't a 'chat over a cup of tea' it is an assessment to determine, in their opinion what is fact and what is fiction in your claim.
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    w06 wrote: »
    well it's what I did and served me well

Assuming that they're " PURE SCUM!" won't help at all. They're people doing their job to decide who the government should give over £7000 a year. Not attending will almost inevitably result in your claim being closed.

PIP has nothing to do with fitness to work.

No you are correct but if there is the slightest hint of a contradiction of what you do when working when compared to what you are claiming PIP for they will make a negative determination. As an example working part time in a pub would not fit in with claims that you have difficulty in communicating with others.
  • pioneer22
    pioneer22 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What do I have to expect they are so underhand and care only about money not truth.

HOW DO I PASS THEIR UNFAIR ASSESSMENT WHAT DOES THE PIP ASSESSMENT LOOK LIKE?

I HAVE SOME QUITE EXTREME MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS

The truth is what you tell them, and it's only right the assessments take place to see who is entitled to it and who may need a higher level of support.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure