Refurbished Mobiles guide - official forum discussion

Options

Comments

• snddim01
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    They didn't make iPhones in 1978!

I thought this thread was about the iPhone 6 offer in the MSE email, all iPhone 6's will still be under Apple warranty (as they weren't actually sold before September 2014).

What handset did you buy?

I know! That was what came up on the laptop screen when the Apple techie plugged it in though. Which makes Hot Bargain Phones seems more and more dodgy by the second.

The company came to my attention as part of the email about the iPhone 6, but the discount code still worked for the model I bought, which was the 5S.

None of this answers my question though. I believe the Sale Of Goods Act allows me to reject the phone and get a refund as it died after three weeks. The company refused a refund. Can I get it through Paypal or do I need to go to Trading Standards and look at court action?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 June 2015 at 5:20PM
    Options
    snddim01 wrote: »
    I know! That was what came up on the laptop screen when the Apple techie plugged it in though. Which makes Hot Bargain Phones seems more and more dodgy by the second.

That's strange, Apple use the serial number or IMEI number to ascertain warranty status.

If you have a record of either number you can actually check it yourself.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/
    snddim01 wrote: »
    None of this answers my question though. I believe the Sale Of Goods Act allows me to reject the phone and get a refund as it died after three weeks. The company refused a refund. Can I get it through Paypal or do I need to go to Trading Standards and look at court action?

Your best bet would be via a Paypal claim, you would probably need to take the matter to court to decide if you can reject it as 3 weeks of use would probably indicate acceptance.

If you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to reject it which means you can give it back and get a refund.
    But, the law only gives you a reasonable time to do this – what's reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is.
    However, even with major purchases or complex items, it’s safest to work on the basis you usually have no more than three to four weeks from when you receive it to reject it.
    Getting faulty goods replaced or repaired

You have the right to get faulty goods replaced or repaired if it's too late to reject them. You can ask the retailer to do either, but they can normally choose to do whatever would be cheapest.
    Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace faulty goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'.
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act
    ====
  • snddim01
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Dave. The apple link confirms the phone was not covered by their warranty, which I already knew.

Since I posted the problem here I think it's only fair that I give an update; the story now has a happy ending.

When I emailed them direct to reject the phone and ask for a refund, they refused.

When I raised a dispute via paypal, they suddenly changed their mind. The refund was paid back to my account this morning. I now have the cash to buy one from a reputable company.

I like the 02 refresh deal. I might try that.
  • ZeElk
    ZeElk Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August 2015 at 9:16PM
    Options
    Probably been mentioned on here before, but via O2 you can acquire a refurb iPhone 5c 8gb for £130 via refresh.

Granted, not everyone's cup of tea, but if you go into the online shop, find the refurbed 5c's and select the £9.99 upfront/£34 per month 10gb data combination, the handset component of the contract is only £5 per month.

Order it, phone O2, settle the handset contract for £120 then cancel the mega expensive tariff. Hey presto, nearly new 8gb 5C with a 12 month warranty for half the PAYG price and they will even unlock it so you can put any sim in.

Sorry if this is repeated information or in the wrong place. I can't put a link in being a newbie, but when I checked tonight O2 only had the white version in stock.
  • A-Z999
    Options
    Do not buy from Hot Bargain Phones / Crafts Bargain Corner Ltd.
    I bought refurbished from Ebay with 12 mths warranty. Have returned in twice and still not working, they want me to return again, once again at my cost. Takes weeks for phone to come back, I am assuming they hope I get fed up and give up and I am! Communication terrible, cannot call, cannot open a case with ebay so warranty useless.
  • mycvattached
    Options
    O2 Refresh refurb warranty isnt straightforward. Apparently once you cancelled airtime they will terminate your warranty. I cannot find it stated in t&c but there are few posts highlighting this issue. Anyone had similar experience?
  • Dakota_2
    Dakota_2 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 February 2016 at 3:46PM
    Options
    :(What Martin said about O2 Refresh is correct. The problem is O2 customer service have no knowledge of the Consumer Contract Regulations 2014. O2 outsource their customer service to Capita which has caused me no end of problems. Being cynical about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing when it comes to big companies I cancelled the direct debits.
    Despite sending a signed for letter (receipt of which was acknowledged) and phoning, O2 still ignored the 2014 consumer contract regulations tried to bill me the full £351.45 contract amount, cancelling the direct debit turned out to be very wise. I think I've now sorted it. If not I'll post an update. Was it worth it???

Contract ignorance aside, my "refurbished" iphone 5S does a very good imitation of being absolutely new.
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    Not a heavy user and currently have a Moto G (1st edition). It has been trouble free and suits me OK. A friend has offered me a used iPhone4 for free, is it better than the Moto G ??
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Dakota_2
    Options
    The iphone4 was launced in 2010. A friend of mine has just ditched his as it was playing up. If I were you I would hang on for something better. The battery is likely to be past its best and you can't just swap the battery out as you need special tools. Of course YMMV.
  • erehwon
    erehwon Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello

Has anyone had any experience with refurbished phones from Carphone Warehouse?

I sent my phone in for repair and they have apparently lost it! So they have offered me a refurbished phone as a replacement. Would this be 'as good as new'? They state on their web site that it will come with a 12 month manufacturers guarantee, rather than the 2 years I had before, though my phone is now 18 months old.

Any insights into your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure