A Thread for After Debt?

Options

Comments

• Mort
    Mort Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... rabbits for food are a must, I have pet rabbits too... but there is a difference :)

Never name an animal you are going to or may have to eat!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts, became debt free on 03/11/2011. Repaid £54,723.41 LBM May 2006.
    Debt Free Roll Of Honour #504
    Mortgage Free from October 2019
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mort wrote: »
    Never name an animal you are going to or may have to eat!

Being a vegetarian now any chickens or rabbits would be pets but I was never squeamish about meat. I remember going for dinner one evening and helping the farmer kill, pluck and prepare the chicken for our dinner that evening, i was about 8/9. it made me feel very proud but it was a different time and a different place;)

Oh wants a goat or a sheep just so he doesn't have to cut the grass:rotfl:
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • Mort
    Options
    QueenB. wrote: »
    I think my washing machine is broken, there is no hot water at all and the washing smells strange, I am really hoping its just something simple but until its fixed its down to the laundrette tomorrow and tuesday.

Check the waste outlet from the machine has not slipped down the waste pipe. This caused ours to make the washing smell, would not explain lack of hot water though. Unless the water was just siphoning through and not getting a chance to heat up.
    Proud to have dealt with my debts, became debt free on 03/11/2011. Repaid £54,723.41 LBM May 2006.
  • Mort
    Options
    QueenB. wrote: »
    Being a vegetarian
    Better not name the veg then!!
  • backinbusiness
    Options
    Oh Dear SOT - hope it dries out ok.

On one spectacular occasion I dropped my mobile and my purse down the loo in our local community centre - having just been to donate blood. I got some very odd looks from the nurses that also came in to use the loo when they saw me rinsing my bank and credit cards in the sink!!

Just had a days shopping with eldest daughter in Inverness (our nearest metropolis!). I am going on a school trip on Thus and sharing a room with a (not particularly well-known) colleague. Can't wear my Bridget Jones pants and scabby old t-shirt nightie there, can I? So invested in some that won't cause me (or her!) too much embarassment! All came in on budget which is fab and payday Tues (credited to bank account 10pm Monday night). Had enough left over for Pizza Hut - and I lurve pizza.

Nice to see so many people back on this thread - and with so many things in common!

Off to watch Desperate Housewives.

Night all.

BiB
    DF :grin:
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    Haha... we want a goat/sheep for the same reason (I'm allergic to lamb so it would be safe...)

I would be allowed to name it :)

Can I call my rabbit 'dinner' Mort?
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mort wrote: »
    Better not name the veg then!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

so if I am out walking and see a garden with random animals in it, a goat munching the washing and chickens chattering away then i should knock on the door as its probably one of us:D

I am off to watch Upstairs Downstairs, not sure I like the new series as much as the last one, may not get through it all as my head is killing me and the dizziness is getting worse.

Night everyone.
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    :D You do all make me chuckle .... fruity phones, naming veg and fishing things out the loo (I do hope it was after the flush:eek:) ... really:rotfl:

SOT I do sympathise ...

Both with the mortgage - my original one would've been paid in 8 years but I'm back to nearly 30:eek: - DFs suggestion to make it a bit longer when I moved it last year, really down to being on a pay freeze for the 3rd year to make the payments a bit lower with everything going up so much & hopefully let me put money aside to budget properly & hopefully stay DF

And .... on the fruity phone *sigh* - I've been hankering after one of these for a long time (gadget me rearing her head!) - I've resisted so far but .... I do need a new phone (mine's losing charge in less than a day - doesn't really bother me too much but I do fee a bit :o when someone frequently says, "I texted / phoned you and .....").

However, I really can't justify one for the amount I use it (and would probably end up spending a fortune as I'd be wanting to be online all the time!) - I will think back to JGs (was it DH or DS?) fantastic mobile deal everytime I'm tempted!:)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    LOL DS 47p mobile phone :)
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    This got me thinking to how much my mortgage has changed over the past few years:

Moved in on a fixed rate which was £415 / month (seemed brilliant after paying £475 in rent!) but was still in debt & didn't put anything aside for budgeting

Fixed rate ended & moved to a capped below SVR which was £330 (much better!) for a 2 year tie in period

That finished in October when I went back to SVR and jumped back to £375 (why I remortgaged)

Remortgaged (slightly longer period as above) but it's now only £280 .... and allows me to budget properly and should hopefully let me put a bit aside for rates rising / making overpayments at some point and, most importantly, budget properly!:)

Would I manage if it went back to £375 or £420, probably as I've done it before - but it would mean the budgeting would be much harder and also with no pay increase for 3 years now & the cost of everything rising so much, it would be really hard.

So .... a nice positive for the start of the day!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure