Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But the allowance is only 10% of £11,000 i.e. £1,100 and the maximum rebate will therefore be 20% of £1,1000 = £220.
    The poster is I was replying to could not see why they cannot get their £220 for this year up front as a cheque and I was pointing out that they don't get the other £2200 up front as a cheque either.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    The poster is I was replying to could not see why they cannot get their £220 for this year up front as a cheque and I was pointing out that they don't get the other £2200 up front as a cheque either.
    Ok. I misunderstood the point you were making. Sorry. :o
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • JRG
    JRG Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Following post #426, and the transferor's tax return, which includes details of the recipient's name and NI no., was submitted. However, when the recipient's tax return was submitted it showed an income tax underpayment of £212. I understand that HMRC will (hopefully) adjust the recipient's tax account by £212 so that there is nothing to pay.
    I can't believe that HMRC is incapable of adjusting the recipient's tax return calculation based on the their M-suffixed tax code, which reflects that they are a recipient.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JRG wrote: »
    . . . I can't believe that HMRC is incapable of adjusting the recipient's tax return calculation based on the their M-suffixed tax code, which reflects that they are a recipient.
    Without wishing to excuse HMRC, it is probable that this situation is a temporary shortcoming whilst they are updating all their systems into a single system in preparation for the new online digital tax account, the Personal Tax Account.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Also the answer to Q2 above is that the website is sophisticated to allow you to not claim back the tax for 2015-16 if you so desire. i.e. just claim from April 2016 onwards.

Further to this - do not rely on this working.

Even though the HMRC website allows you to choose which years to transfer the allowance you may still receive a letter stating you owe the £200 odd for a non transferred year!!

i.e. even when you state you do not want the marriage allowance shifting for 15/16 (but do want it for 16/17) the system messes up. Worse still is that this allowance wasn't even moved to my other half!

Talking it through with the tax office today they've had multiple issues with this and my complaint is now with the 'back office' to resolve in the next 5 days.

Terrible IT.
  • CSW1
    CSW1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hello, I am very new to this so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place !
    A couple of months ago my husband used the services of a rebate company to claim uniform & tool allowance, we received notice of a small rebate last month and are waiting for the amount to be forwarded by the rebate company.
    However my husband contacted HMRC yesterday to query the marriage allowance I applied for at the beginning of last month & he was told that we are indeed entitled to a rebate for last year but that it is being sent to the rebate company as well.
    The rebate company have nothing to do with the marriage allowance claim & we are unsure why the cheque is being sent to them as this was something only I could claim for ( being the lower rate tax payer ). The lady on the phone at HMRC was adamant that they could only send the money to the rebate company who I now presume will take a percentage ?
    Does anyone know if this is how it is normally done if you have previously used a rebate company ?
    Many thanks in advance.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to write to the rebate company and HMRC to withdraw consent for them to act as your agents. You have appointed them and until you withdraw that consent they are your agents and are entitled to their cut. There is no reason to use these companies, there is nothing they do that you cannot do yourself.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DW and I are self assessment, she completed her form giving her allowance to me but when they did my calc it was not included, just spoke to HMRC live chat who said:
    hello, there has been a problem with this and it is under investigation at present, so we have been asked that you submit the return and we will amended it and send through new information.

And also that is was 'high priority' so would be fixed soon and I will be informed by letter when it has been.
    I think....
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Originally Posted by veryintrigued viewpost.gif

Also the answer to Q2 above is that the website is sophisticated to allow you to not claim back the tax for 2015-16 if you so desire. i.e. just claim from April 2016 onwards.

Further to this - do not rely on this working.

Even though the HMRC website allows you to choose which years to transfer the allowance you may still receive a letter stating you owe the £200 odd for a non transferred year!!

i.e. even when you state you do not want the marriage allowance shifting for 15/16 (but do want it for 16/17) the system messes up. Worse still is that this allowance wasn't even moved to my other half!

Talking it through with the tax office today they've had multiple issues with this and my complaint is now with the 'back office' to resolve in the next 5 days.

Terrible IT.

Also don't rely on the HRMC to either give you that call back within five days or indeed have anything on their systems to reference them promising to do this or indeed referencing a previous call!!!

Oh and for those that have done this marriage allowance sharing - check your uniform tax allowance code hasn't been removed too (as mine was).

What an incredibly poor experience so far...
  • fd1972uk
    fd1972uk Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 May 2016 at 9:58AM
    Options
    Hi,

Hoping I've posted in right place.

Due to my wifes low income we had the Marriage Allowance tax relief, however she has had a smallish increase to her pay, so it would appear that it will work against us now.

So I phoned to cancel it on 6th April, it seems my tax code has reverted back, however my wife (paid weekly, me = monthly) is still on the old tax code.

I provided all the info for both of us.

Does this normally take a few weeks or should it be practically instant?

I try phoning, but due to work our time is limited.

FD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure