Bulb Energy Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier

Options

Comments

• SummerFun
    SummerFun Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    sabsharpe wrote: »
    I've been an energy tart since they started competing against each other and giving cash back.

Never ventured outside the big 6 due to poor feedback... Until NOW!!!

I found Bulb on Martin's Cheap Energy Club. Not at the top of the list BUT after paying back £60 Exit fees and £50 credit for joining using someone's referral link that made them no.1

Asked a few questions via web chat which they answered well and booked my switch.

21 days later on the exact day they said I would the switch happened.

Few problems with ex supplier SSE but perfect transfer to Bulb.

I've now got around £250 of credit from my referral link and hopefully more coming.

Their web site is superb. Simple, fast, looks good. You can web chat them and you usually get an intelligent helpful response within 5 minutes.

So far they get the full 10/10 from me (and I am hard to please)!!

Thank you for this post

To me, you seem to be describing a modern day twist on an age old Ponzi scheme...

So with that, I'm out!
  • ByteZine
    ByteZine Posts: 38 Forumite
    edited 3 August 2017 at 2:08PM
    Options
    Does payment have to be only by direct debit now ?

At the start of the thread there was talk of debit payment.
    I think I would prefer this if it meant no paperwork, same consumer protection etc.
  • Will_at_Bulb
    Will_at_Bulb Posts: 60 Organisation Representative
    Options
    ByteZine wrote: »
    Does payment have to be only by direct debit now ?

At the start of the thread there was talk of debit payment.
    I think I would prefer this if it meant no paperwork, same consumer protection etc.

You can pay by either debit card or Direct Debit. We think cards are better because they have the same protection while being much easier to process changes to timings and whatnot. If you sign up through our site you'll set up payments this way by default.

If you join us through SME Cheap Energy Club you'll have to set up to pay by Direct Debit because MSE thinks Direct Debits are better, but you're welcome to give us a ring and change to card payments at any time.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can pay by either debit card or Direct Debit. We think cards are better because they have the same protection while being much easier to process changes to timings and whatnot. If you sign up through our site you'll set up payments this way by default.

If you join us through SME Cheap Energy Club you'll have to set up to pay by Direct Debit because MSE thinks Direct Debits are better, but you're welcome to give us a ring and change to card payments at any time.

I suspect that the reason why MSE believes that DDs have an advantage over CPAs is that DDs carry less risk for the consumer and are easier to cancel.
  • ByteZine
    Options
    Thanks
    I've signed via the Cheap Energy Club so I guess I will need to go through with the DD to get the £30 ?
    In which case I will probably go through with the DD then maybe request a change after a month or 2 if I think it best ?

Looking at the Bulb website and the feedback and your answers and attitude here, I am happy to join.
    My 2 main factors when looking are price (about 60% I guess) and green if possible.
    You were 2nd only to Eversmart for me on price.
    Price and ethos and feedback, I went for Bulb.

Glad to join.
  • JS2006
    JS2006 Posts: 161 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2017 at 9:32PM
    Options
    We are moving into a new home next week and have no idea what our energy consumption will be, but CEC estimate results come in around £85/month dual fuel with one supplier (Flow) offering a fixed rate until 2019.

I have a referral link for Bulb and the estimate I've received is £73/m and the £50 cash back. I've read so many great reviews of Bulb here and am wondering if the fact they only do a variable tariff will mean if we switch to them, we'all eventually lose out.

Wondering if anyone has any advice?
  • Mckenna
    Mckenna Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just signed up also, moving from ovo, been with them 3 years or so and for the first few years they were perfect.

We have always paid £70 a month with them and never been in debt, we swapped to a smart meter and our monthly bills range between 50 and 80 (in the colder months) so as you would expect summer builds up a credit winter returns it down to near 0, our house is heated by a smart thermo so it comes on the same times during winter.

We moved from renting to owning our own house 6 months ago literally moving 500 yards around the corner, same size and style house, brand new central heating system and valiant boiler.
    They now want me to up our monthly payments to £170 because winter is coming despite all the evidence to contrary.

So off we go to try out the new kid on the block
  • dm999
    dm999 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Just initiated the switch from Flow who have been one of the most inept and frustrating companies I have ever dealt with.

I'll update the forum on my experiences with Bulb as and when.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi all

Just a small note not to post referral links here.. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ByteZine
    Options
    I see Bulb use a 0300 number.

I may be wrong but my impression is ...
    0300 (good perception with public, media, MP's etc)
    but for those in the know (i.e. MSE readers) ... a geographic number is better than 0300 as we can use 18185 etc .

Maybe could have 2 phone options (0300 and geographic).
    I guess 0300 is best for those using BT and no overrider.
    Not a big deal for me as phoning is my last choice of contact.
    Of course freephone is best.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure