Sainsburys disability discrimination

Options

Comments

• biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    UN17ED wrote: »
    It was sprayed at the self service tills.

Hmm... I can imagine that happening. I'm not OCD but I would be a little miffed if a hasty colleague didn't take enough care to respect my personal space when cleaning the tills. Also if they came poking about in my shopping.

Taking your version on face value,It sounds like her OCD made her over react, not react unreasonably.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I’m not sure this is a good thing to admit to on the net.

Why not? Because people might jump to conclusions and start imagining all sorts of scenarios that aren't true?
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know if the '2 weeks' and '7 days' without eating actually meant no food at all had been consumed during those time periods.

Yes no food at all - at least for mine, can't speak for the OP's daughter. I was still drinking water, green tea & black tea though.
    If you ate NOTHING for two full weeks you would be very ill and then at risk of refeeding syndrome when you started to eat again, which is potentially fatal.

So I don't believe you.

Before being so disbelieving, why don't you ask some medical professionals qualified in the field as to what is possible? Or read many of the cases where people went up to 2 months without eating.

I used to think like you - that you wouldn't be able to go more than a couple of days without adverse consequences. Experience has told me otherwise though - and that experience includes a doctor examining me and giving me a clean bill of health. Given (as I said) the only consequence I felt was less energy, I have no reason to doubt my doctor.

Thats not to say one size fits all - someone who's incredibly underweight and/or running a marathon every day wouldn't likely come out of it as well.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the point about OCD which is being missed slightly is that it's not rational and people can't be reasoned out of it by presenting them with sensible arguments. Most people with OCD are fully aware that what they are doing is over the top and extremely damaging to themselves but the need for the ritual and combatting the repetitive intrusive thoughts can't easily be resisted due to the extreme anxiety that causes.
    I stand by my original post about the supermarket not having to make the adjustments the OP would like, but I'm fairly sure the OPs daughter knows already that what is being said about packaging etc is correct. What she needs is proper help to learn some coping mechanisms.to get back to a semblance of a normal life.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • societys_child
    Options
    biscit wrote: »
    t I would be a little miffed if a hasty colleague didn't take enough care to respect my personal space when cleaning the tills..
    Is a self check-out till your "personal space"? It's a check-out till, in a shop, anyone can use it and personally I prefer that it's kept clean.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Is a self check-out till your "personal space"? It's a check-out till, in a shop, anyone can use it and personally I prefer that it's kept clean.

I'd prefer that too.
    But I wouldn't expect staff to come along and spray the area whilst my items were in the bagging area.
    And most definitely not to move my items when doing so.

So, I'm still sceptical that that is what really happened.
  • stuartJo1989
    stuartJo1989 Posts: 461 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 12:16AM
    Options
    Before being so disbelieving, why don't you ask some medical professionals qualified in the field as to what is possible? Or read many of the cases where people went up to 2 months without eating.

Well, I've only glanced at the research but there does seem to be varying accounts of how long you'd survive. It appears that you CAN easily go 1+ month without food if you are hydrated, so I'll give you that one.

The question is, why would you want to do that?

I'm sure that, if you spoke to "some medical professionals", they would strongly recommend that you EAT FOOD as apposed to going without food for 1+ week.
    I used to think like you - that you wouldn't be able to go more than a couple of days without adverse consequences. Experience has told me otherwise though - and that experience includes a doctor examining me and giving me a clean bill of health. Given (as I said) the only consequence I felt was less energy, I have no reason to doubt my doctor.

Yea, but in fairness don't you think this is an irresponsible thing to post? You sort of say to the world, "hey look at me, I didn't eat in 1-2 weeks and I got a clean bill of health". Just because it didn't affect you, doesn't mean that it won't be the same for another person. On the face of it, OP's daughter probably doesn't have a STOP point whereby they resume eating. It could potentially be playing with fire if we turned round to OP's daughter and shown them your post, effectively saying "you'll be fine!".

I would be intruiged to know WHY you didn't eat in that time frame though.

Mental health issue?

Physical condition (cancer could be an example)?

Diet? (if so, did your doctor not refer you to the NHS pages which cover long term sustainable weight loss? I'd be doubting the doctor if they hadn't done that!!!)

I can't really think of any other reasons for not eating?
  • TeamPlum
    TeamPlum Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I'm a hospital dietitian. Just to cofirm, you CAN last for an extremely long time without eating anything . . . but you shouldn't attempt it.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Yea, but in fairness don't you think this is an irresponsible thing to post? You sort of say to the world, "hey look at me, I didn't eat in 1-2 weeks and I got a clean bill of health". Just because it didn't affect you, doesn't mean that it won't be the same for another person. On the face of it, OP's daughter probably doesn't have a STOP point whereby they resume eating. It could potentially be playing with fire if we turned round to OP's daughter and shown them your post, effectively saying "you'll be fine!".

I would be intruiged to know WHY you didn't eat in that time frame though.

Mental health issue?

Physical condition (cancer could be an example)?

Diet? (if so, did your doctor not refer you to the NHS pages which cover long term sustainable weight loss? I'd be doubting the doctor if they hadn't done that!!!)

I can't really think of any other reasons for not eating?

Bereavement.

If me posting that I went 2 weeks without eating is irresponsible, then surely posting that someone can easily go without food for a month is more so? ;)

At no point have I (or would I) recommend that someone do it through choice - I wouldn't even recommend fad diets to anyone looking to lose weight. The only thing I'd recommend would be a lifestyle change/a healthy balanced diet.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • stuartJo1989
    stuartJo1989 Posts: 461 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 3:48PM
    Options
    Bereavement.

If me posting that I went 2 weeks without eating is irresponsible, then surely posting that someone can easily go without food for a month is more so? ;)

Well, I only posted that bit to back your point up. Didn't want to be ignorant and dismiss what you said out of hand.

I'm just not talking about MY EXPERIENCE of not eating! And there's a key difference; in your case you had a stressful life event and your body went all haywire. That's understandable. In OP's case, the daughter's body went all haywire because they got banned from Sainsburys.... Maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing here, but ultimately I would worry if someone like OP's daughter read your posts about how everything will be fine if you don't eat for a week or 2. They actually probably wouldn't and it could make underlying conditions much worse.
    At no point have I (or would I) recommend that someone do it through choice - I wouldn't even recommend fad diets to anyone looking to lose weight. The only thing I'd recommend would be a lifestyle change/a healthy balanced diet.

Fair enough :)
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    TeamPlum wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a hospital dietitian. Just to cofirm, you CAN last for an extremely long time without eating anything . . . but you shouldn't attempt it.

I thought it was 'the rule of 3' -

3 minutes without air
    3 days without water
    3 weeks without food

Not to be recommended, though !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts