PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours over the road - Antisocial/illegal behavior - or just me being intolerant?

Options

Comments

• ThursdaysChild
    Options
    Arleen wrote: »
    Then why would they play around the house? Why not just go over and have a friendly over-the-fence chat with the kids and ask why wouldn't they go plain the park where they have a lot of space?

I'm afraid to talk to the kids directly in case their parents kick off, as happened previously (with different kids and parents) i.e. "How dare you talk to my child! If you have a problem talk to me directly".
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm afraid to talk to the kids directly in case their parents kick off, as happened previously (with different kids and parents) i.e. "How dare you talk to my child! If you have a problem talk to me directly".
    Then go and talk to the parents? I'm starting to think that you don't want this resolved, just something to complain about.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP...I' feel sorry for the predicament you are in, sounds terrible.

Doesn't in any way sound "normal"; you sound decent, and in no way "intolerant".

Of course it is entirely predictable in modern day UK that some responses have suggested it is somehow your perception that is flawed, or that somehow the onus is on yourself to remedy the issue.

But, I don't think there is much to do, unless it escalates into damage or abuse. Can't you talk to some other neighbours about it; maybe realising that others are just as troubled by it would be some comfort?

Good luck :)
  • ThursdaysChild
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    But you've already talked to them.

OK, to be more precise... Yes I've had some interaction with the kids when they initiated it. But I am wary of 'spontaneously' going up to kids and talking to them, for obvious reasons.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Basically the reason why the kids are out there for 6 hours plus is because their parents don't want them tearing round the inside of the small 3 bed terraced house that they live in. That is also why they have to bang on the doors to be let in. They can't get back into the house unless the parents let them in. The parents are not going to leave the doors off the latch so that the children can get back in by themselves because they don't want to be disturbed by their children.

You could always consider consulting your neighbours about the noise. You might find that the whole of your end of the street is fed up with the noise but thought that no one else was. The people I feel sorry for are the neighbours on both sides of this house. Can you imagine what it must be like to live next door to these noisy children?

The hangers on children who come from elsewhere can only be kept an eye on when they arrive in your street. On the way there no one is keeping an eye on them so there is no reason why they can't go and play in the local park.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I do have double glazed windows and yes they do shut out the noise but.. as we go towards the spring and summer should I have to keep windows shut because of excessive noise over the road.

There is a local park ~500m down the road!

What do the other neighbours think? Are they out all day? I had this problem with a group of children from the other end of the road. In the end I opened my window and played classical music rather loudly, they went within 5 minutes. They do occasionally return but aren't as noisy. I hasten to add it was middle of the day and the immediate neighbours were out at work apart from one who is slightly deaf.

With other children if they are usually polite and well behaved I'll pop out and ask if they are OK because they sounded as if they had hurt themselves.
  • Atomix
    Atomix Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not meaning to sound flippant- but I'd save myself the stress, hassle, which could be for many years - and move. Good luck.
  • camptownraces
    Options
    OP might find that things are a lot better tomorrow, when the kids are back at school. Should keep them out of the way for about 7 hours.
  • amateur_house
    Options
    Atomix wrote: »
    Not meaning to sound flippant- but I'd save myself the stress, hassle, which could be for many years - and move. Good luck.

This is an old thread, but the OP of this one did move to escape the noise and disruption. It seems drastic, but sometimes the only way

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1836825
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    I am not sure about the jumping on their parents car That doesn't sound like normal behaviour to me not least because I think most people would not want their children to be jumping on the bonnet of their car in case they damaged the car.

It sounds as if the parents are not very interested in their children. If that is the case there isn't anything you can do that would make them interested.

Or maybe they are just not very interested in their car. I've had cars that I would let my children tap dance on the roof of without any worries at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure