MSE News: Sky Q prices revealed – is it worth it?

Options

Comments

• mrsammyp
    mrsammyp Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As others have predicted, it looks like you would lose all discounts if upgrading to Sky Q. My package, family + movies, would increase from £29 pm to £71. No thank you.
  • Colin_London
    Options
    Sky are really raining on the hagglers parade here aren't they. Not only do you lose all discounts due to not being compatible with the new packages, but the technical solution locks you into Sky Q and takes away your equipment if you leave. It's as if they have worked out all the tricks and eliminated them in one go!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,163 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sky are really raining on the hagglers parade here aren't they. Not only do you lose all discounts due to not being compatible with the new packages, but the technical solution locks you into Sky Q and takes away your equipment if you leave. It's as if they have worked out all the tricks and eliminated them in one go!
    Except for the trick that you don't have to sign up at all!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    ..... and imagine the errors (both in 'advice' and implimentation) Sky's CS will make with SkyQ being a completely different package to standard Sky.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems like the public SkyQ offensive has started !
    I do online surveys for points which I can exchange for Amazon vouchers -I've done three surveys in the past fortnight which are all about Sky TV and in particular the advertising for SkyQ.
  • KST34
    Options
    The new LNB does allow freesat connection
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    KST34 wrote: »
    The new LNB does allow freesat connection

No, it doesn't actually. If you want to keep a connection for already installed Freesat equipment one has to ask for a hybrid LNB to be installed, at the loss of four tuners to the Q.
  • parttimeskint
    Options
    VisionMan wrote: »
    No, it doesn't actually. If you want to keep a connection for already installed Freesat equipment one has to ask for a hybrid LNB to be installed, at the loss of four tuners to the Q.

Which effectively makes it a Sky plus HD box as it only has 6 to start with?
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Which effectively makes it a Sky plus HD box as it only has 6 to start with?

It has 12 tuners. But even those requesting an alternative LNB will find their Sky HD recordings locked and inaccessible, as one can't have a Q and existing HD box(es) on the same account.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anyone else think the Q Mini-boxes do not compare with an existing Multi-Room connection? How can a wireless box (employing Homeplugs) compete with a fully operational wired Sky+HD with it's own hard drive and Planner?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure