Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Options

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not got an answer from BG yet, surprise surprise, but I have heard that they have to disable the meters otherwise they continue to collect the meter data and they cant just turn off that part of their system, so they have to disable completely and its back to manual readings ! :-(

I have now received a final Gas Bill from BG but no electric bill... should they be dealt with separatley as it was a dual account? Anyone else had bill(s) yet - nice refund promised with 2 weeks of bill date.
    Well through the last 12 months I often have been told I am in debt with one fuel and credit with the other. Err no I pay 1 DD and it's up to BG how they divide it, though apparently not. They do seem to treat both separately. So I am fully expecting a final bill that will both ask for a final payment and give me a refund. So much for joined up thinking :rotfl:
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    Well through the last 12 months I often have been told I am in debt with one fuel and credit with the other. Err no I pay 1 DD and it's up to BG how they divide it, though apparently not. They do seem to treat both separately. So I am fully expecting a final bill that will both ask for a final payment and give me a refund. So much for joined up thinking :rotfl:
    aha.... just looked again and they say the gas credit will be offset the final electric bill when its calculated! Why not do both at same time as you say!
    I also note that they say they will credit me directly as long as I don't cancel my DD yet, else they will send me a cheque.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    aha.... just looked again and they say the gas credit will be offset the final electric bill when its calculated! Why not do both at same time as you say!

I also have had my closing GAS account from BG using the(accurate!) meter reading I gave to Ovo. However not yet anything on Electricity.

As posted earlier I received notification from BG that I was to get two increased separate DDs on 01 Oct even though my BG account closed on 25 Sept - I am well in credit. I rang BG to ensure these DDs were cancelled. The very helpful call centre operator explained he couldn't cancel DDs but he set them both to £0.00!
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    Gave my first gas/electric meter reading to ovo energy today for the 2yr fixed deal all going well so far plus phoned them up last week and can't fault their customer service ;)

ovo will be in charge from 4th october.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • jstallan
    Options
    Moved ours to Tonik. The switch happened yesterday/today and the BG account now says closed and the Tonik account suggests it's open...

Why Tonik ? Well the prices were pretty good for us and I fancied a changed from the "BIG 6". Time will tell if it's a good move. Shame about the smart meter not working with the new provider, but my wife will be glad to get the plug socket back that the display uses!
  • nic_c
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    I also have had my closing GAS account from BG using the(accurate!) meter reading I gave to Ovo. However not yet anything on Electricity.

As posted earlier I received notification from BG that I was to get two increased separate DDs on 01 Oct even though my BG account closed on 25 Sept - I am well in credit. I rang BG to ensure these DDs were cancelled. The very helpful call centre operator explained he couldn't cancel DDs but he set them both to £0.00!
    I'm not sure why all the panic about cancelling DD - do people not read the DD guarantee? If they take a payment after you have cancelled but before you get a refund, simply get your bank to do an indemnity claim, the money will be in your account straight away and they will get the money back from BG.
  • nic_c
    Options
    jstallan wrote: »
    Moved ours to Tonik. The switch happened yesterday/today and the BG account now says closed and the Tonik account suggests it's open...

Why Tonik ? Well the prices were pretty good for us and I fancied a changed from the "BIG 6". Time will tell if it's a good move. Shame about the smart meter not working with the new provider, but my wife will be glad to get the plug socket back that the display uses!
    Me too, I also liked the fact that they pay 3% interest on credit balances, so should the DD prove to be high at least it's not dead money sitting their earning them money until they do an annual review, like it was with BG.
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options
    jstallan wrote: »

Well after two weeks away from BG I'm giving up on my smart meter monitor coming back to life - its just become a large temperature gauge!!

Back to manual meter reads after two years, what a pain and what a waste of money for the industry as a whole. There now seems little doubt that the original meters (SMETS1) will able to be reconfigured to work on the new network - SO - why are they still being installed??
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well after two weeks away from BG I'm giving up on my smart meter monitor coming back to life - its just become a large temperature gauge!!

Back to manual meter reads after two years, what a pain and what a waste of money for the industry as a whole. There now seems little doubt that the original meters (SMETS1) will able to be reconfigured to work on the new network - SO - why are they still being installed??

The Government and the Data Communications Company are confident that ways will be found of adopting these meters onto the central hub by 2020. The problem is that no single solution will suit all meters as they have been procured from different manufacturers.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Looks like my In House Display will be heading the same way too then. My switch away from BG takes effect on October 18, so I suppose shortly after that the IHD will be useless.
    There's little point asking why the government encouraged us to get smart meters AND switch suppliers when the two are incompatible with the SMETS1 meters currently being installed. Presumably the suppliers have a stock of SMETS1 meters to get rid of, no to mention government targets to miss.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure