20, live with mum,got a water bill, small rant too

Options
2»

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Joshtk wrote: »
    ah no its all in one bill, i just found out how much I personally need to pay by phoning the council and then give that to my mum every month along with my 'rent', thanks for the reply though :)

I mean that simply not a thing. Council tax is charged on a property. The council don't care if 2 people live there or if 200 people live there. There is no 'your mum pays this and you pay that...'

How did the water company get your name? Who paid the water bills before now?
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I mean that simply not a thing. Council tax is charged on a property. The council don't care if 2 people live there or if 200 people live there. There is no 'your mum pays this and you pay that...'

How did the water company get your name? Who paid the water bills before now?

They could have contacted the credit reference agency they report accounts to, to ascertain who at the address in question has the fattest file, and then assume this person is responsible for the water bill. The water companies have form for this. Thames Water have engaged in this questionable practice in the past. The OP should look into this and perhaps take up the matter with the ICO.

Remember also that you don't have a contract with the water company and you don't authorise them to access your credit files. They just do it anyway - another one to complain to the ICO about.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm quite annoyed and I'm just really wondering if I am responsible for this bill?

As far as I know my mum pays the water bill herself but I don't have a clue why I have an account too, just to clarify also, if I am for some reason responsible for this bill I will pay it :j

Yes you are responsible for this bill - it's in your name so the advice to ignore was stupid as you've now found out. The bill might be incorrect though so you should certainly query it.

Before you do so though it would make sense to actually ask your mum. Assuming she pays it isn't really a good idea, you need to know for sure so you can clear the matter up. But as above there should only be 1 bill for a property, different bills are not sent to different people.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 March 2018 at 5:57PM
    Options
    ah no its all in one bill, i just found out how much I personally need to pay by phoning the council and then give that to my mum every month along with my 'rent', thanks for the reply though :)

CT is levied on the property, not on an individual. Your mum is the billpayer, How you you then divide the bill up between you/contribute to it is purely between you and her.
    Water is the same. Why haven't you discussed this with your mum instead of just ignoring it? If her account is somehow in arrears then it is possible that your name has been picked up as the new occupier. Is she not still paying it monthly by DD? If so, where are those payments being credited to?
    NI has nothing to do with hours worked: you pay NI once your earnings reach £157pw. If your 'full time' friends are not paying it, they are either on a very low and illegal wage, or they are doing cash in hand jobs. But, since it's deducted at source, they probably are already paying it.
    It's admirable that you do make a decent contribution to the bills already: when you finally leave home and have to pay all the bills yourself, you will get far less of a shock than your friends, when they have to pay rent, CT, gas, electricity, water, phone, transort, insurance etc themselves, instead of being subsidised by the bank of mum and dad.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Because you mentioned paying National Insurance it's worth checking you're paying the right amount for what you earn: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/

Sometimes people are on the wrong tax code. When I first started working I was on the wrong tax code and it was up to me to notice and rectify it!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure