If YOU have a Bus Pass

Options
If you have a bus pass for whatever reason, you might like to read this. Last week, I decided to travel to Dorchester on Market Day. This is a popular service from Weymouth a there is a queue all day normally. I was second in the queue at 9am, in readiness for the 9.30 curfew. The person who was first, told me that the previous week, an inspector announced "fare paying passengers on board first", and they wondered if this would be repeated.

Sure enough, with about 50 people queuing, the inspector arrived and made his announcement and folk who were way back, came forth, paid and boarded.

I thought about this and decided to phone First Head Office in Southampton. Once connected I said this didn't seem right, as disabled, infirm, elderly could end up standing or have to go to the upper deck. I was told that the inspector was wrong. He should have been passing down the queue, offering to issue tickets to pass holders and sell tickets to those who were due to pay, simply to speed up the process.

It now seems to have been corrected. The reason I am providing this information is by way of an alert if you find something similar happening where you are.

It is my belief, and only my opinion, that the crafty sod has a thing about us pass holders.

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Certainly not an issue with our FB services, but even concession card holders can purchase a reservation to guarantee their seat, those who pay cash, with no reservation, load last.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not an issue here [Portsmouth area], but times change. Thanks for the alert
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Not an issue here, our buses are never full. I will keep it in mind if I travel to other parts of the country though.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    You didn't think hard enough, don't you have a local paper!

Yes I do and yes, I write frequently and get published. However on this occasion I selected the organ-grinder and a local Councillor.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    islandman wrote: »
    Yes I do and yes, I write frequently and get published. However on this occasion I selected the organ-grinder and a local Councillor.

Our local paper recently got a very grovelling apology out of Stagecoach, they wont try doing that again.
    Quite frankly the company always try to puit you off and local councillors are politicians - totally effing useless
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    islandman wrote: »
    .......... However on this occasion I selected the organ-grinder ........

Happy memories of my Gran using that phrase!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • SimonSays
    SimonSays Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    I agree that FARE PAYING passengers should have priority, Anyone on a free pass (Except people in a wheelchair) should be made to wait until the actual people who pay for the bus service are catered for.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SimonSays wrote: »
    I agree that FARE PAYING passengers should have priority, Anyone on a free pass (Except people in a wheelchair) should be made to wait until the actual people who pay for the bus service are catered for.

Few people would agree with you I think. Certainly NOT the bus companies themselves. When I reported my experience, they said it was "segregation" and that they would not accept this.

Equally, the bus companies cannot afford to loose the pas holders as it is THEY who keep some routes viable. Often we comment that were it not for the "grey brigade" the bus would be empty, at least they are getting the subsidy, even though lower than they would wish.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Precisely who do you think will make people wait? A bouncer at every bus stop? Driver physically removing those with bus passes who board? What do you suggest?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

And where do think the bus pass is paid from?

Oh, yes, tax payers

And who pays taxes?

All of us, including bus pass holders, so we have paid, thank you very much
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure