The next chapter ....

Hello and thanks for popping by; some of you may know me already, I've been here quite a while although not recently. Its a good time for me to return, things are starting to get sorted again in my personal life and I'm ready to start logging things here again to eep me on the straight and narrow.

I'll be honest, I'm not a dfw but I think of myself as one as I was a single parent for years, and am again now. I am pretty good with my money, I am an obsessive list-maker and I am a geek who enjoys all stuff financial :)

Over the next few days I will be getting my head round where my finances are currently, setting a few goals and getting ready to go back to work next week, (I work in a school so have been enjoying 6 weeks off ;) ).

Today I have bagged up the contents of our penny jar (£130 :T ) which is split between me and Mr S (my lovely man, we have decided to split and he is moving out soon but we're hopeful we'll remain friends). I've also written a lovely long list of things I need to do before I go back to work next week, I've crossed several bits off already. I have also just put on the 9th and final load of washing wince we returned from camping at the weekend. Lots of ironing to look forward to there then :(

I'm off to my kettlebells class in a couple of hours then will carry on sorting out stuff tonight.

Please stick around and chip in whenever you like :D
Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
2024 Savings: £2532

Comments

• Primula
    Primula Posts: 953 Forumite
    Hello, a nice shiny new diary to follow :-) Sorry to read you have decided to part company from your OH but you seem quite upbeat about it all, so good luck. I too love lists!
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 24 August 2015 at 9:25PM
    So I guess I should start with my SOA;

Income:

wages 1122
    child benefit 82
    maintenance 350

total 1554

Outgoings:

mortgage 340
    contents insurance 5
    life assurance 8
    electric 61
    tv licence 11
    water 25
    car tax 13
    car ins 22
    car maintenance 28
    ground rent 15
    service charge 27
    council tax 110
    sky 90
    mobiles x3 27.50
    food 200
    petrol 60
    school lunches 20
    gym 35
    union membership 8

total 1105

income - outgoings = 449
  • benbenandme
    There are a few bits that may change within my soa;

Currently I pay for 3 mobiles (mine, Mr S and ds). Mr S will be giving me his £10 a month until January when our contracts run out.

Sky is huge BUT ... it includes broadband, home phone and the tv and as this is the first year ever my beloved Bournemouth have been in the premier league it is worth every single penny to me :D I'm not one for having a major social life, my footie on the telly and my gym membership are about it. I don't drink or smoke so these are my pleasures ;)

The maintanence figure is based on what the csa say ... up until now the ex has been paying £140 a month. Next week should see the first increased payment but we'll wait and see what happens. Those of you who have been with me before will understand .... :rotfl:

The council tax figure will decrease by 25% when Mr S moves out, saving approx £27 a month.

This all looks pretty healthy at the moment and again, for those of you who have read my ramblings before, I do like to try and make some extra pennies where I can, from matched betting, mystery shops, surveys, ebay, car boots and any other bits and pieces that come my way :D
  • Hi Benben. I've just started a diary and it's really interesting to see somebody else who is not in debt (and presumably very keen to stay that way).

It looks like you're very positive about the next chapter of your life. That's awesome.

Also, I'm not too far from Bournemouth *waves*.
    Grateful to finally be debt free!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Looking forward to the next chapter.
    Oh to only have a mortgage of £7,996.
    I can dream!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • benbenandme
    Been to kettlebells class tonight and it was a toughie. I managed to use the 8kg for all of it although there was lots of clean and presses which was hard for me with that weight.

Came back to a yummy dinner, I did honey and mustard chicken with potatoes and carrots, it smelt gorgeous as I came in the door, exactly what was needed in this weather :)

Now its time for a bath, then I'm chilling with the footie on, I've got a free bet to do in-play and I also want to start getting on top of my finances again. Be back in a bit :D
  • dangers
    dangers Posts: 1,456 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Happy new diary.

Sorry to hear about you and Mr S. Hope ds is ok.

Was looking at photos a few days ago from when we came down to your neck of the woods 4 yrs ago. It's such a beautiful place. X
  • benbenandme
    So I have some idea now of where my accounts are at, I actually hadn't much of a clue as I haven't been tracking recently and money just seems to disappear during the school holidays, anyway I have got roughly £200 left for the rest of this month (I think), including an extra £100 budgeted for ds school shoes / trainers etc. I do have a few jobs around the flat that need doing that will cost a bit but that will probably come out of my savings.

I did make £30 from the matched bet tonight although that has already got swallowed up in the overall figures.

I do have approx £200 put away towards Xmas too, and I haven't included in the various vouchers I have squirrelled away too, which include £100 Sainsburys, £45 nectar, £50 clubcard, £25 Love2shop, £20 john lewis, £30 compliments, £25 pizza express, £60 M&S, £80 Amazon, and a few other bits and bobs. Actually when its written down thats a pretty impressive haul :D
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Very impressive~~you are so organised.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Hi BenBen, another old timer back (with a new user name). I wish you all the best and will be subscribing for updates.

I used to do matched betting regularly and I think that you helped me out from time to time. Seem to have lost my confidence with it but am eager to have another go. Haven't done any mystery shopping for years either, not since I started working full time anyway.

Just wanted to wish you luck on your next chapter.

Cracking mortgage balance, that wont take long to clear.
    "These things take time but I know that I'm the most inept that ever stepped"
    Save £12K in 2016 #150 £12858.59/£14200.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport