ns4.mitsu.in
    systemrecure.co.uk

More food for Google.
  • digitaltoast
    digitaltoast Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 July 2009 at 2:03PM
    Options
    Hello! I know I've posted this on another thread, and I know I'm not supposed to link to my own website BUT as the site's been mentioned by others here, if you get a call from these guys PLEASE can you try and record some of it? And get as much info as possible? Post it to my site, as well as here of course!

http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/fake-tech-support-call-scam-prefetch-virus-logmein123com

If anyone has any influence or idea of how to get the BBC interested please let me know. Both You and Yours and Watchdog say there's "no interest" in the story.
    However, there's now 118 comments on my blog, and it's the most read page with over 400 visits per day, almost all searching for either "supportonclick" or "systemrecure". From the amount of people discussing it on various threads here, in other forums and on my blog, I'd say there was quite a bit of interest!

Also, Staffordshire Trading Standards are warning people about this scam:

http://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/6997DBB0-E31E-4AFB-A886-C9DDEE114204/90090/TelephoneComputerSupportWarning.pdf

And McCaffee Siteadvisor has many aggrieved reviewers of these scammers too!
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/supportonclick.com

So, possibly post there too - anything to warn people.
  • PinkSugar_2
    Options
    Just had a phonecall from somebody who claimed to be called 'Sam Watson' at SupportOnClick in Bradford. He gave his number as 01274 449373.
    He knew my name and said that they were working in conjunction with Microsoft to fix slow running PCs in our locality and just needed me to run a few commands on the PC to see how serious the problem was and whether it could be fixed remotely or if they would need to send a technician out.
    Sounded a little suss to me and fortunately as my children were making such a racket I had a good excuse to get off the phone.
    Surprise Surprise the number 'Sam' gave just rings and rings and rings...!
    Sounded all very plausible but something just didn't gel. Googled the company and found this forum - thank you, not being paranoid!!
  • Paulsmith1
    Options
    I was with my friend Robbie when they called. Robbie is a computer nerd so he knew exactly what they were saying. Supportonclick worked on my computer through remote access and cleaned a few files that made the computer speed up. They said it was my trial period and if I liked their services, I could register with a charge.
    :beer:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Paulsmith1 wrote: »
    I was with my friend Robbie when they called. Robbie is a computer nerd so he knew exactly what they were saying. Supportonclick worked on my computer through remote access and cleaned a few files that made the computer speed up. They said it was my trial period and if I liked their services, I could register with a charge.

So now your computer may have a trojan on it so they can infect it at will and charge you. If your friend was a computer nerd he would know this company are scammers.
    Did you consider how these people could know that your PC was running slow?
    Why do people persist in thinking this company is legit when their activities are well documented?
    You are advised to get your system cleaned ASAP and any remote access programs removed.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Paulsmith1
    Options
    As of now my comp is working fine. There are no spyware of malware. The new antivirus is working well too. I cleaned the PC recently and its working faster now.
  • macman
    Options
    As of now my comp is working fine. There are no spyware of malware. The new antivirus is working well too. I cleaned the PC recently and its working faster now.

But have they installed remote access software on it?
    Are you saying supportonclick also installed an antivirus for you-if so what program is it?
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why am I suspicious of this posting, - he only joined this month, I think this is one of their operatives trying to talk up Supportonclick.

If the guy who was with him was a "computer nerd" then he would have known what to do to clean the machine, and should not have allowed them anywhere near it.
  • macman
    Options
    aerostar wrote: »
    Why am I suspicious of this posting, - he only joined this month, I think this is one of their operatives trying to talk up Supportonclick.

If the guy who was with him was a "computer nerd" then he would have known what to do to clean the machine, and should not have allowed them anywhere near it.

And I don't think he's the only one aerostar...other very similar posts from new members.
  • Paulsmith1
    Options
    There is nothing called remote access software. I dont know if you are aware, remote access cannot be on your computer forever. It is a short time connectivity and nothing can be really installed without your permission. People who have been scammed must have made the mistake by giving full access.

Once you relieve them off the access (if u r smart enough to know) they will be gone. After relieving them nothing can happen to your comp at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure