Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that is the way to do it. to move the same money through 2 or more accounts.
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2014 at 3:12PM
    Options
    I'm trying to fill in my tax return and thought you guys might know the answer to this...

I have a Barclays Regular Saver and want to check that it only pays interest annually? So I don't need to go and get a statement because no interest has been paid yet. I don't have any online access to check myself.

EDIT: I take that back, I found the answer. It's in fact called a Monthly saver and it is paid monthly. How annoying.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    amiehall wrote: »
    I'm trying to fill in my tax return and thought you guys might know the answer to this...

I have a Barclays Regular Saver and want to check that it only pays interest annually? So I don't need to go and get a statement because no interest has been paid yet. I don't have any online access to check myself.

EDIT: I take that back, I found the answer. It's in fact called a Monthly saver and it is paid monthly. How annoying.
    They should send you an interest/tax statement in a few weeks FOC. If you ask for an extra statement, there'll probably be a charge.
  • amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    They should send you an interest/tax statement in a few weeks FOC. If you ask for an extra statement, there'll probably be a charge.

I don't remember getting one last year. I got the counter staff to just print me out a piece of paper with the amounts on which I got for free. I might well have just lost my proper letter though... :D
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I see that the Newcastle Big Home Saver website page now confirms the maximum monthly deposit is £1,250 per month.

I cannot see anything else that has changed for this weekend's update. I will do another update next weekend. Have a nice, long weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • Money_Man_Steve
    Options
    Had a letter today from Ulster Bank stating that their Special Interest Deposit Account rates are changing from 16/06/14.

The new rates are: £1-£15,000 1.50% AER (previously 2.25% AER)
    £15,001-£100,000 0.5% AER (no change).

Looks like this account will be uncompetitive from the date of the change as the new rate on balances up to £15k is similar to the best instant access accounts available at present.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 April 2014 at 1:57PM
    Options
    Had a letter today from Ulster Bank stating that their Special Interest Deposit Account rates are changing from 16/06/14.

The new rates are: £1-£15,000 1.50% AER (previously 2.25% AER)
    £15,001-£100,000 0.5% AER (no change).

Looks like this account will be uncompetitive from the date of the change as the new rate on balances up to £15k is similar to the best instant access accounts available at present.

Whilst this is rubbish news - thanks for the update - I was wondering if this one might change.

PS on my spreadsheet I had the last change as - reduced to 2.25% after 18/12/13
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 April 2014 at 12:35AM
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I have updated the post on the first page with the Ulster account to include Money_Man_Steve's information about the interest rate dropping.

Mary has also pointed out that the Clydesdale current account (feeder account section) has dropped the interest rate of 4% (which was guaranteed until March 2015) down to 2% for people who open the account now. The same is true of the identical Yorkshire Bank current account.

I cannot find anything else that has changed this week.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • redcar_2
    redcar_2 Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks as before to Special_Saver2 for all the hard work on the thread.

I think the Norwich and Peterborough REGULAR SAVER & E-REGULAR SAVER accounts have been withdrawn to new applications and also the rate seems to have dropped to from 3% to 1.85% for existing holders meeting the conditions or 0.35% otherwise. See closed accounts page http://www.nandp.co.uk/PDFs/savings/closed-issue-accounts :(
  • johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    redcar wrote: »
    Thanks as before to Special_Saver2 for all the hard work on the thread.

I think the Norwich and Peterborough REGULAR SAVER & E-REGULAR SAVER accounts have been withdrawn to new applications and also the rate seems to have dropped to from 3% to 1.85% for existing holders meeting the conditions or 0.35% otherwise. See closed accounts page http://www.nandp.co.uk/PDFs/savings/closed-issue-accounts :(

The rate is for the account opened after year 1! It has been the case as I remember.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure