PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• ma-ri-ella
    Options
    not much buying :) may need so menu plan help, just don't seem to have the knack for putting items together .split my reduced to 15p meatballs into 3 and had with 1/2 jar pasta sauce and spag noodles. was lovely and thinking about having it tomorrow night again . don't think i could justify the £3 a normal packet is . Got a pork/sage sausage in freezer friend has suggested burgers but not sure how to go about doing that - defrost and flatten down lol#
    also got a pot and leek soup mix plus frozen tatties ,bag carrots and some parsnips so thinking maybe put all togher and have one massive soup portion
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 February 2018 at 10:33AM
    Options
    Thank you Maryb! I have bread flour that needs using up but I!!!8217;ve lost my baking confidence recently so will try your tips out

Mariella - if you squeeze the meat out of the sausage skin you can cook it like meatballs. Nice with pasta, or could liven up your big veggie soup.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    How long before you guys chuck potatoes then? In my case, pretty much never. I just cut off the 'bad' part and then use the good part.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cut out the bad bit, use the good bits is pretty much my solution for all food.
  • bouicca21
    Options
    Maryb where did you do that baking course. I reckon I can cook most things but I could with expert tuition on breadmaking.
  • crazytree
    Options
    Maryb I was sort of aware that steam helps with bread making. I didn't realise it made such a big difference! My bread has always been ok but definitely a bit too solid! Thanks for posting this tip, I'll definitely be trying it when I get back into my baking again.

I managed to use up the last of the veg before "the big shop" in a Ramen thingy for lunch. The rest went into tonight's Chicken cacciatore. So yay no waste.
    Some sprouty spuds are being used up here, we just chop off the shoots. Might have chips with the chicken thing! Strange but I really fancy them!

Tx
    Ps I also like ryvita - with either marmite or apricot jam. Nom.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It was the E5 bakehouse in Hackney
    http://e5bakehouse.com/classes/

It was a great day and I came home buzzing! We made Hackney Wild sourdough, bagels and ciabatta rolls and they gave us a recipe book and a small pot of sourdough starter to take home. I've kept that going but in fact I managed to get my own starter going. It makes nice airy bread now and only needs feeding once a week if I'm not baking
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think part of the reason breadmakers work so well is that the lid traps the steam that the dough gives off so has the same effect as my Le Creuset casserole in a bigger oven
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks Mary - I hadn't thought of using my le creuset. I make my sourdough in a loaf tin, the old loaf tin did fit into the LC but the new one won't so I put a roasting tin of water of the shelf above as it is cooking.

I will try putting the loaf direct into the LC and see what that does.

TOnight is my favourite using up stuff from the freezer night - left over takeaway (or restaurant) curry... :T
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • bouicca21
    Options
    Wow, Mary I was sure you were going to point me to a stone farmhouse somewhere in the back of beyond. Hackney is eminently doable for me. Thank you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback