IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Charge Notice

Options
Hi all,
I have never received a 'private' parking charge (I have had a council parking fine before) and I have recently received a letter claiming I was parked in an area without a permit. The charge is £150! I never had a parking charge stuck to my window or I would have paid it!

£150 seems steep! In my experience, these fines should be reasonable to recoup their loss but I'm struggling to see how they lost £150? I've also typed in the location they have said I was in however, it is a one-way system with nowhere to park so I'm struggling to see where I parked. I never park anywhere but Tesco and that is free for 2 hours and nowhere near this street they have told me I was on.

HELP!

Do I just pay it? They say that because I didn't respond within 28 days I cannot appeal but I never received the parking fine? I always check my car before I get in it (paranoia of flat tyres) and there has never been anything on the floor!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    No don't "just pay it".

Get to understand how this "game" works by reading through the newbies faq thread at the top of the forum.

Then set about an appeal.

If you have more questions come back to your thread to ask them (you will need to give more details before anyone can give specific help)
  • LaurenHeath123
    Options
    Thank you.
    I have had a quick read but it seems to focus on the initial ticket, which I never received?
    They say they are operating in accordance with the Independent Parking Committee's Code of Practice, is there any way of checking that this is true? - They have my details from the DVLA so I guess they probably do.
    I'm reading so much information and so much depends on your situation, its all confusing!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I never had a parking charge stuck to my window or I would have paid it!
    Why the heck would you have done that?! Why would anyone just pay a PCN of any description?
    They say they are operating in accordance with the Independent Parking Committee's Code of Practice, is there any way of checking that this is true?
    Google. :)
    so much depends on your situation
    No it doesn't, your situation/the circumstances are irrelevant and the NEWBIES thread tells you that the detail doesn't matter.

There are three scenarios, either a BPA member or an IPC member or a firm that is a rogue one from neither Trade Body.

Who is 'they'?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • catfunt
    catfunt Posts: 624 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you.
    I have had a quick read but it seems to focus on the initial ticket, which I never received?
    They say they are operating in accordance with the Independent Parking Committee's Code of Practice, is there any way of checking that this is true? - They have my details from the DVLA so I guess they probably do.
    I'm reading so much information and so much depends on your situation, its all confusing!

the Red Cow Yardys then.....

Who is the PPC??

If this is the NtK then £150 is very steep, certainly the BPA put a limit of £100 for PCNs, reduced for early payment. I don't know if the IPC's code of conduct puts a similar limit or not.
    Is this the first letter you have recieved?
  • LaurenHeath123
    Options
    Why would I pay if it was on my screen? - Saves the hassle and stress of receiving countless letters that I'm sure will appear in the coming weeks!
    I have googled the Parking Collection Services and on their website it says they are a member of BPA and IPC however, on the letter it states IPC only. I can't find anything else online that would definitely state they are members of these bodies. I'm sure it's very easy to stick a logo on their website so I question whether they really are members of these bodies.
    What is a PPC?
    Yes, this is the notice to keeper and it is the first letter/ first I've heard of this whole scenario! - from searching online I haven't come across one person who actually found a ticket on their windscreen from this company - very odd!!
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why would I pay if it was on my screen? - Saves the hassle and stress of receiving countless letters that I'm sure will appear in the coming weeks!
    I have googled the Parking Collection Services and on their website it says they are a member of BPA and IPC however, on the letter it states IPC only. I can't find anything else online that would definitely state they are members of these bodies. I'm sure it's very easy to stick a logo on their website so I question whether they really are members of these bodies.
    What is a PPC?
    Yes, this is the notice to keeper and it is the first letter/ first I've heard of this whole scenario! - from searching online I haven't come across one person who actually found a ticket on their windscreen from this company - very odd!!

Lauren, you are actually dealing with a scammer. All PPC scammers use the IPC because they know they will win.

The DVLA well know about IPC and freely provide drivers details.

As most on here say, appealing to the IPC/IAS is a complete waste of time..

You say ...
    "I've also typed in the location they have said I was in however, it is a one-way system with nowhere to park"

You were shopping at Tesco's, do these scammers operate in the car park ?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Ppc = private parking company.

There is a list of abbreviations used here in the newbies FAQ thread.

You could well be getting lots of correspondence over this for the next 6 years, rather than weeks.

But once you have done an appeal you can ignore the rest unless they are a proper letter before court claim or correspondence from a Court.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What is a PPC?

parking collection services are a DEBT collection company , not a private parking Co.

was the first communication you received from PCS , with the £150 charge , or had you received previous correspondence from the PPC

please tell us the name of the parking co
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    parking collection services are a DEBT collection company , not a private parking Co.

was the first communication you received from PCS , with the £150 charge , or had you received previous correspondence from the PPC

please tell us the name of the parking co

They are a PPC stating they use POPLA
    http://www.parkingcsl.co.uk/
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PCS also known as debt recover plus are DEBT COLLECTORS

they do the back office work for the low life

they are NOT registered as a company that issues tickets

30clnut.jpg
    Save a Rachael