TicketySplit feedback - official discussion

Options

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does the Tickety split app, give specified seating or just a ticket ?

I want to book for two of us but that doesn't seem to be an option anywhere - We want to be siting next to each other if I book in two transactions ...:beer:

What's the journey? Some routes are non-reservable
  • Hi

Tickety Split worked great at finding the deals for me, but I couldn't find a way to buy for two people at the same time; we need to work together and if I make separate bookings then we'll be subject to whatever seat allocations it chooses. So I'm going to note down the journeys and then go back in to standard Trainline to make the purchases.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Tickety Split worked great at finding the deals for me, but I couldn't find a way to buy for two people at the same time; we need to work together and if I make separate bookings then we'll be subject to whatever seat allocations it chooses. So I'm going to note down the journeys and then go back in to standard Trainline to make the purchases.

Why use the trainline at all? Why not a TOC - most of whom don't charge fees?
  • jardinier_2
    Options
    Can somebody please tell me how to book more than one ticket at a time on the Trainline site? it is frustrating when two or more want to travel together to have to keep going through the same loop and savings get whittled away with a booking fee at every iteration.

The TicketySplit site is good and looks as if it could save me money even if I have to go to another booking site to get two seats in the same carriage.

Thanks.
    Grumpy old man
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jardinier wrote: »
    Can somebody please tell me how to book more than one ticket at a time on the Trainline site? it is frustrating when two or more want to travel together to have to keep going through the same loop and savings get whittled away with a booking fee at every iteration.
    I would suggest you avoid the trainline and their fees by using a train operating company's website.

Might be worth using the website of the company whose trains you will be using as they may be able to offer even cheaper tickets.

I tend to use either East Coast or Southern.
  • GertieGrumbles
    Options
    This worked well for me. I am used to looking to break my journey but this suggested a station I wouldn't have expected.

Basic single ticket price was £29.60
    Where I would break was £25.50
    Where the tool suggested was £20.40.

I couldn't use the link to purchase so I went to book the two tickets separately with National Rail and got returns for both
    total: £24!! - it would have been £33.10 return.
  • stevewild31
    Options
    dzug1 wrote: »
    What's the journey? Some routes are non-reservable

Hi , Stockport to Birmingham New st. (split at Stafford) cheers
  • jamesbrownontheroad
    Options
    Excuse me for a second.

(Ahem... clears throat)

people.... STOP USING thetrainline.com - you can get the same fares without any booking fees (and often same operator discount on Advance fares) by booking directly on the websites of the Train Operating Companies (TOCs).

Apologies for shouting. But no-one seems to read up the thread a bit :D
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jardinier wrote: »
    Can somebody please tell me how to book more than one ticket at a time on the Trainline site?
    As others have said, don't use thetrainline as you will incur additional, unncessary fees.

What are the journey details?
    I couldn't use the link to purchase so I went to book the two tickets separately with National Rail...
    National Rail Enquiries does not sell tickets; if you search for a journey and choose to buy a ticket, it will re-direct you to a Train Company website.
  • stevewild31
    Options
    Hi All,

Thought I'd add my experience using the tickety split tool.

My Journey was for Stockport to Birmingham going out Friday afteernoon, returning Sunday Afternoon for me and TOH.

Using the tool I selected to split at Stafford, I then tried using TOC websites to actually buy the journey but couldnt get the same low price, eventually I went throug the Train line, it was a bit fiddly getting all the journeys (8 seperate tickets) and I noticed we've been assigned seat numbers but not together and not the same for the two parts of the journey - I understand why this is the case, but could be annoying if the train is full and we have to use the assigned seats.

So numbers on the door are :-

Stated Advance singles for 2 Stockport to Birmingham NS = £103.00

Via Tickety split -same Journey = £68.30 + booking fee £1.50 = £69.70

A saving of £33.30 :):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business