Brogden's Debt Disaster & Self Managed DMP!

Options

Comments

• Brogden
    Brogden Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    I lol'd most of the way through that ... FAB that you can see the envelopes working for you, told you so about the utube vids !! and:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: at the Mrs and kids making cruel jibes as you fish your last pennies out, wonder if they would snigger if it was for something for them ?? ..

Your doing fab I am going to start this 1st Nov too and got myself a jar for my leftover funds but I am going to use the left overs for something I don't know what yet but will think.

Enjoy your weekend xx

Thanks Aloof :)

The envelopes WILL work :) !! Make sure the jar is something soft and quiet - I've just hijacked a Walkers Favourite's cardboard tub which DD2 brought in after consuming the contents. That's much better........shhhhhhh :) !!!!

Having said everything about the envelopes I've blown the budget today :( £5.00 over.....! :(

Tomorrow's another day and I'll get it back to keep on track :rotfl:

Brogden x
  • PennySaving
    Options
    Morning Brogden,

Glad the envelope system is in action for you - local shops are always a killer on the budget front for me too! I may just nip in for drinks cartons or bread and exit £30 lighter!

I feel your pain on the ciggies front too, my DH smokes and when we were in the depths of debtbusting I prompted him to smoke rollies as his friend had a huge stock of tobacco in his garage from Belgium. He offered 3 months worth to DH at a time for a good rock bottom price. This worked well for a couple of years but the hugely expensive Bertie & Harris seemed to have re-appeared.....perhaps its about time I said something again :p

Enjoy Sunday and I hope you are able to re-gain £5 in todays budget.
  • Brogden
    Options
    Morning Brogden,

Glad the envelope system is in action for you - local shops are always a killer on the budget front for me too! I may just nip in for drinks cartons or bread and exit £30 lighter!

I feel your pain on the ciggies front too, my DH smokes and when we were in the depths of debtbusting I prompted him to smoke rollies as his friend had a huge stock of tobacco in his garage from Belgium. He offered 3 months worth to DH at a time for a good rock bottom price. This worked well for a couple of years but the hugely expensive Bertie & Harris seemed to have re-appeared.....perhaps its about time I said something again :p

Enjoy Sunday and I hope you are able to re-gain £5 in todays budget.

Thanks PennySaving :)

I smoked for years and I smoked rollies and yes.....I really liked them! The only way I stopped was by using one of these new electric cigarettes. I have had the odd ciggie I admit but Bertie & Harris are what....£7.00 for twenty? Some people say this and that about e-ciggies but they can take a run and jump :mad: My habit averages out at around £5.00 a week. A 20 a day smoker pays what....£50.00 a week. I also know they may not be risk free but there cannot be anything like the health risk of smoking 'treated' tobacco :)

Do you have a diary on here PS? :)

Brogden x
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Hi broaden, I followed you from another diary and have read from the start. While I don't use the envelope system, I do withdraw a set amount at the start of each week. I've had more left doing this than by any other method. It seems I can appreciate the value of real cash more than I can debit or credit card spend.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • grannyx2
    grannyx2 Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm the same. I take my allowance out at the beginning of the week and only use cash. I love getting to the end of the day having spent no money, my personal challenge. It certainly makes me think more about what I'm spending. A real achievement is getting to the end of the week with money left over. This goes into my saving for Oz jar.

X
    Targets
    Trip to Australia (On hold until 2022 now) to meet new grandson born jan 21!

Lose 84lbs. Update (minus 65lbs mostly during lockdown as of 18.05.21)

LBM : July 11 - £56,962
    DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3958715/return-to-solvency/p1
  • Historybuff
    Options
    Hi. I try to only spend a set amount or as little as possible each day. I've tried all ways of doing it. It's still hard...
    Feb 2014 to now
    Unsecured debt at highest £56,511/now £9,328 83% paid. :)
    Mortgage £85,342/now £28,846 66% paid
    2018 overpayment total - £5,500
    Mortgage and debt free by August 2020
  • Brogden
    Options
    Hi broaden, I followed you from another diary and have read from the start. While I don't use the envelope system, I do withdraw a set amount at the start of each week. I've had more left doing this than by any other method. It seems I can appreciate the value of real cash more than I can debit or credit card spend.

Hi INOD!

'Hi Broaden.....?' Broaden? I hope you're not referring to my girth :) !!.......that's a bit personal seeing as we have only just met :) !! My belt has been a bit tight the last few months but nobody ever notices because I'm so tall! Its the way you feel though and I could do with losing a few pounds I suppose.......:(

INOD / HB & Granny.......you are all budgeting in the same way as far as I can see. Using the envelopes I am 'micro-managing' and yes, it is a bit childish but the spending has finished today and I have undone yesterday's 'budgetary overshoot' by a compensating 'budgetary undershoot' :T Three days into envelope budgeting and at the moment I feel like the cat that's got the cream.........meeeaaaaow :)

It is for me a massive relief to have my spending plan laid out in a pile of envelopes and to avoid palpitations at the cash machine. You are all mature, sensible people and I pretty much am but we all have our own 'achilles heel' and mine was flying financially blind and not wanting a glimpse of my bank balance to ruin my mood - its no good and if a childish idea like this helps me then I'm there like the rat up the proverbial drainpipe!

Getting the ironing done now and listening to Tchaikovsly's Symphony No 6 'Pathetique.' That's pathetic as in 'sad' not pathetic as in 'pathetic......Ha!' :rotfl::rotfl:

I'm then going to go through my spreadsheets, work out the new Brogden liability figure and update my signature with the 'pathetique' improvement. :rotfl:

Brogden.
  • grannyx2
    grannyx2 Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The debt is going in the right direction and that's what counts x
    Targets
    Trip to Australia (On hold until 2022 now) to meet new grandson born jan 21!

Lose 84lbs. Update (minus 65lbs mostly during lockdown as of 18.05.21)

LBM : July 11 - £56,962
    DEBT FREE 21-05-21
    MORTGAGE FREE 13-06-18

Loving my kitty cat

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/3958715/return-to-solvency/p1
  • Aloofdragon
    Options
    Was that a jingle I heard??

Yay to reigning back in your pennies today, you have to get through the rest of the week easier than the weekend so on the home straight now..

Surprising how many of us debtbusters go back to cash to mend our ways so to speak.

I am celebrating with a coffee I have just sorted all S/C forms out if it weren't raining id skip down the street ... Night all x x
    Weightloss -36.5lb/64lb.
    Christmas savings £200/£800.
    Hol savings £300 /£500.
    Birthday savings £50 /£100.
    100 days #20 Credit union £40/£1150
  • Brogden
    Options
    grannyx2 wrote: »
    The debt is going in the right direction and that's what counts x

Thanks x

Words of encouragement.........yes :) !!!!!

You're a real cool granny :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport