PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Shabby Chic; Volume III

Options

Comments

• midnightraven3
    Options
    they are not ALL american ones, but they are real
    you can buy sets from ebay very cheaply

she bought 2 american, and i think 1 from belgium, 1 from italy and there was another but i cant remember :o

she has enough left to do something smaller, and they were 99p a set

but she has done comic books (her brother collects comic books and got her old tatty covers/non resale ones and she used them

she does shoes as well
    i'm sure she will have photos of them which i shall get her to send me
    she made me dr seuss :o ones they are fab, again i shall get pics when she comes home today
    but they need to be sealed, if they are to be waterproof

we tried mod podge, expensive and not worth it
    we tried PVA which is good but on shoes it will crack as it dried very hard, tried watering it down, she makes her own "version" there are loads of "recipes" on the net
  • sootypea
    sootypea Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heres my decoupaged lady before and after
    031-1.jpg

046.jpg
    an GC. £180.00/£300
  • midnightraven3
    Options
    here is her shoes, sorry i know its not shabby chic, but it is decoupage

391395_10150968583898025_1802076169_n.jpg

she sent me that one, she does have my pair but you get the gist (but mine are better :D)
  • Cazo1
    Cazo1 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Wow sootypea & midnightraven3...those are amazing, such creative ideas for decoupage! I was at a local tourist board arts & crafts centre today, and they were selling decoupaged wine bottles & old Yankee candle jars for £12.99!!
    Cazo1:wave:
  • MellyKitchen
    Options
    emma_kate wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking the preparation stage of a project like this would be:
    Sand off the varnish. Base coat. Light sanding. Paint. Light sanding. Paint. finished?
    Also, what kind of paint, does it have to be a wood paint or can it be a silk/emulsion type paint?
    Many thanks xxxx

Hi, You wouldn't normally need to sand the varnish completely off, just sand it to scuff it up and provide a key for your paint to adhere to. Then, primer, then paint, then wax or varnish to protect your paint. (This is not necessary if you use eggshell). Wall paints like matt emulsion are fine but will need protection.
    Or, if you bought Annie Sloan Chalk Paint you don't need to sand or prime at all, just paint.
    Old furniture should be washed down with sugar soap before painting as this removes residual wax, polish and dirt that can seep through your paint and prevent the paint sticking well.
    Mahogany can also have bleeding issues where the colour in the wood stains your paint so I would start with a small area at a time and if this occurs, stop and get a sealing primer like Blackfriars trouble solving primer.
    Happy painting![/QUOTE]

Thank you Emma Kate, the dresser should be with me wed/thursday, so excited.
    What wax would you recommend? will look into Annie sloan chalk paint as I've heard many people rave about it. x
  • emma_kate
    emma_kate Posts: 491 Forumite
    Options
    What wax would you recommend? will look into Annie sloan chalk paint as I've heard many people rave about it. x[/QUOTE]

Any furniture wax is fine. I don't like Annies but you can paint over it more easily than others if need be. I prefer Liberon wax but it stinks worse than Annies. Hers is a bit sticky.
    But anything will do!
  • Becca03
    Options
    I've just discovered this and some of your creations are really lovely, it's amazing what you can do sometimes eh!?

I was wondering if anyone could lend me some ideas then as I'm not the most creative.
    I'm about to move into a new place (my first after years of student houses!) and it's furnished. While some of the stuff is lovely a few pieces are a bit dated. When I looked around it does appear to be good quality solid dark wood (especially the wardrobe), there's also a bedside table, a chest of drawers and 2 bookcases. Then in the living room is a small wooden coffee table, which while nice is looking rather worn.

I'd love to spruce them up abit but obviously I can't make lasting changes to them when it's technically the landlords furniture! In time I hope to get my own bits and pieces but in the mean time some temporary ideas to make things look a bit nicer would be really appreciated. :)
  • emma_kate
    emma_kate Posts: 491 Forumite
    Options
    I'd love to spruce them up abit but obviously I can't make lasting changes to them when it's technically the landlords furniture! In time I hope to get my own bits and pieces but in the mean time some temporary ideas to make things look a bit nicer would be really appreciated. :)[/QUOTE]

Hmm, all I can think of is that changing the knobs for pretty glass or ceramic ones can make a huge difference, then you can replace them with the landlords when you leave.
    On ebay they have lots of wall/furniture sticker/decal things that should be easily removed.
    Sometimes you can get a piece of glass cut to the size of a bedside table or chest of drawers and under that you could display old photos or vintage fabric or wallpaper, all easily removed.
    If you ask him, he might let you paint the furniture? Worth a try?
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,997 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I spotted this EB.. item - it didn't sell - is it suitable for shabby chic?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200838119031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 3,129 May - 90/105
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £21.54/£100 NSD - 91
    2024 Craft Makes - 228 Craft Spends 2024 £327.42/£500
  • Cazo1
    Cazo1 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Persimmon wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I love this thread, and really enjoy seeing the things that you have made over. I am now ready to have a go myself! Annie Sloan paint and wax has been purchased. I have undercoated and eggshelled a mirror I am going to paint (the mirror had an ugly terracotta design on it and I want cream to show through the AS paint). My question is.... how long do I leave the paint and wax to dry between coats/sanding? Can I do all three coats spaced through today, or will it have to be a coat a day? The tin doesn't say, and I don't want it to go wrong! Any advice appreciated!

Chalk paint dries really quickly, so it won't take long at all, I can paint a table using two coats and have it complete in about 2-3 hours depending on size.... but I would be surprised if you needed more than two coats of paint as the coverage is excellent....you can easily see & feel when the paint is dry as it looks matt & chalky and sanding can be done then, it's so easy! I never apply wax staight away (that's just a personal preference) usually wait until the next day and do the waxing then....By the way, there is normally no need to undercoat either when using chalk paint. Happy painting!
    Cazo1:wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport