What cable for an AEG induction hob?

Options

Comments

• nigel_jewell
    Options
    Hi all,

I've also just bought an AEG induction hob that asks for the use of the mystery H05BB-F cable. Digging around the web it appears that like others I cannot find it.

In my installation I plan on connecting our induction hob to the Cooker Control Unit using normal 6mm T+E. The only downsides I see to this are:

1. The cable isn't round so won't fit the cable stay correctly. I can work around this as the cable is in a position that means it won't get pulled anyway.

2. The cable isn't rated to 90 degrees. Is this really necessary given that all is under the hob is three drawers? Do induction hobs really get that hot on their underside?

Comments appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Nige.
  • nigel_jewell
    Options
    Of course, it is the temperature of the connectors that is important rather than the temperature of the hob underside - but the question still stands.

N.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    I wouldn't use it. I have a reel of cable I'm happy to use, I know other electricians that use different but similar cables, but none that would use twin and earth.
  • zax47
    zax47 Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    Read post #8, follow the second link! You need a heat resistant butyl covered cable of, ideally, 6sq mm cross sectional area (to carry the load) rated to 90 degrees C. It's readily available - go to your nearest electrical wholesaler (City Electrical Factors etc.), not B&Q!

DO NOT USE TWIN & EARTH.
  • nigel_jewell
    Options
    Thanks - understood. I'll try and source some.

Regards,
    Nige.
  • nigel_jewell
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, I did see the post #8 linking to the TLC site. But as the cable listed there is 4mm, I didn't see that it would be any better than 6mm T&E.

I have searched for 6mm HR, but I haven't yet been able to find any. I'll try CEF as suggested.

Thanks,
    Nige.
  • nigel_jewell
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry, my bad. I didn't read the TLC site correctly. As it lists the cable as 4mm with "Nominal O.D - 13.1mm" all looks good.

Unless someone says otherwise, I can't see any issue with using that between the hob (7.4kW/30A) and the CCU connected back to the CU with 6mm T&E.

Thanks,
    Nige.
  • mikey72
    Options
    What size cable does the installation guide state, if any?
  • mikey72
    edited 18 June 2009 at 3:02PM
    Options
    As a rough and ready guide, with a complete disclaimer on any and all advice, implied, or given, and that there are always exceptions-
    If I fit a twin and earth, rated at 70C, it is thermoplastic, ie it will melt again with heat. A 90C cable (such as H05BB) that I fit will be thermosetting, it's irreversible, it won't melt, (but it can burn).
    The difference between say vinyl and a car tyre.
    Cable must be "de-rated" with ambient temperature. It's all spec'ed at 30C to carry current.
    As a guide only, if you raise the 70C spec cable to an ambient of 60C, it can now only carry half the current it could before. Otherwise it will get hotter, as the current it is carrying can make it heat up. And it can start to damage itself.
    A 90C cable can get to 75C before the current carrying capability is halved. All this applies to a cable in free air, and the de-rating applies all the way from 30C up to it's maximum temperature, so say at 40C, both cables have to carry less than their full rating, or they can overheat. The same applies to any cable anywhere, but the figures change.

If you use a 4mm cable to connect, and it's close to it's capacity, and it gets hotter than 30C, it's bad.
    Without seeing the installation, and knowing the cooker, I can't say what to use, but without seeing it, I wouldn't be using 4mm.
    (When you specify cable, it's always by conductor size, eg 4mm, 6mm, 10mm. How it's made then affects the od)
  • nigel_jewell
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    What size cable does the installation guide state, if any?

Unfortunately it doesn't. It just says "H05BB-F Tmax 90".

Nige.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family