Brother problems

Legacy_user
Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie
edited 8 September 2017 at 4:26PM in Marriage, relationships & families
Hi

Had a conversation with my brother today regarding him purchasing a car, he is currently at the dealership with my mum and started asking me questions like "Is it okay to put you down as a family member?", and about work income and how much I receive each month between my two jobs. I then started to be suspicious because he wanted to know my sort code and account number.

Now, would this be for a regular Direct Debit whereby if he fails to make a payment then he will come to me or would it be just a quick credit check? I wish I never gave him all those details now because he never told me what he was doing with the bank details, so am not really happy.

I don't want to ask him why he needs all those details without wanting a second opinion first.

Comments

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Ask. Now.

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Are you down as a guarantor?! I would be extremely wary! Think very carefully about what you actually said - hopefully nothing is valid unless on paper, but you never know. I certainly wouldn't have given any financial details! :eek:
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 September 2017 at 4:41PM
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Are you down as a guarantor?! I would be extremely wary! Think very carefully about what you actually said - hopefully nothing is valid unless on paper, but you never know. I certainly wouldn't have given any financial details! :eek:

I'm assuming he's put me down as a guarantor because why else would he need the sort code and account number other than to set up a Direct Debit.

I am feeling wary, and considering he earns twice as much because he's in the Army I struggle to understand why he feels the need to ask such information. However, considering I have two jobs maybe he is using me at the best of my advantage.

My mum is a right ***** and also have a feeling she's putting ideas inside his head: "Why don't you ask Aaron, because he doesn't pay me lodge".
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Wouldn't have thought you could be down as guarantor without signing something but I can't think of any good reasons to need the info. Ask.
  • System
    edited 8 September 2017 at 4:56PM
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought you could be down as guarantor without signing something but I can't think of any good reasons to need the info. Ask.

Me either. He's obviously going to try get me to pay for his Direct Debits as that is the only two bits of financial details he needs.

Should I cancel my card and request a new one :(
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I should speak to your bank immediatelyand tell them yiunsuspect a family member may have named you as a guarantor without your permission. Better, still, take a letter down to your bank so that they have something in writing. An if you know garage in question phone them NOW and find out exactly how the information your brother gave them is being used
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Are you sure your brother is financing this in his name, not yours?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • System
    edited 8 September 2017 at 5:30PM
    silvercar wrote: »
    Are you sure your brother is financing this in his name, not yours?

He will be financing this in his name probably, it's just the bank details he needed from me which is puzzling (which I gave him.)
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Sorry OP, but the basic rules are that you do not give out your bank details to anyone unless you are positive about the recipient, standing orders for bills etc come to mind.

You know this, otherwise you would not be posting here.

Sounds like there is a bit of aggro going on with Mum. Why is she saying that you didn't pay for lodging with her, so she said to brother... let's get Aaron, or am I missing something?

I hope you did not give any personal details.

I would not.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be. So true.

Back away now. :cool:
  • System
    Thanks everyone. I have learned the hard way and am going to cancel and request a new card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure