IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Request for popla refused despite quoting legislation, what to do now?

Options

Comments

• Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    Thanks for that, I will!
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    (Yet) another quick question.

How do I address the judge? Am I right in thinking it's 'sir' for a fella and 'maa'm' for a woman?

Getting nervous now but hopefully this time tomorrow it will all be over. I suppose that depends on what time we get started, as I'm aware it might start later than scheduled.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I always though it was "your honour" , but I suppose the 2 you said might be ok too , respect goes a long way !
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 January 2017 at 3:20PM
    Options

How do I address the judge? Am I right in thinking it's 'sir' for a fella and 'maa'm' for a woman?

Getting nervous now but hopefully this time tomorrow it will all be over. I suppose that depends on what time we get started, as I'm aware it might start later than scheduled.

It's likely to be Sir or Ma'am I think but ask the usher when you sign in:

- how do I address the Judge?

- please make the Judge aware I am acting as lay representative for the Defendant (hand over your copy of the Lay Reps Act if asked at that point).

Be aware that you can act as a lay rep under that Act, as long as the defendant is with you, but the other side might just send a solicitors' agent (unsupervised) or an unregistered barrister whose right of audience you can challenge (as this losing party should have):

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/parkingeye-win-and-are-awarded.html

So, from that Blog you will find a couple of other things to print out and take with you...unregistered barristers or 'solicitors' agents' should have their right of audience questioned as explained there by the Parking Prankster. The good thing about that would be, their rep would not be allowed to utter a single word...
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Redx wrote: »
    I always though it was "your honour" , but I suppose the 2 you said might be ok too , respect goes a long way !

I think it is sir or madam for a small claims court. The best thing to do is simply ask one of the court ushers, as well as asking about any other aspects of court protocol you may have. Whatever you do, don't interrupt when someone else is speaking.

Also make sure you have copies of things you may want to refer to such as the POFA 2012, or at least the relevant sections. If the opposition refers to something you don't have, ask to see it.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    I'll ask one of the clerks tomorrow just to be on the safe side as you suggest. I don't want to fall at the first hurdle.

Back to some more printing it would seem!
  • devonlad
    devonlad Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ref coupon mads point about the NTK and time frames i.e. when they can access dvla information. could anyone highlight what the time frames are for a postal pcn.
    Hi all been a while but have been poorly.

Good luck Gin and milk
    The word about the scammers is spreading like marmite here in the westcountry.
    We workers all love it and the ppc hate it :rotfl:
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is Sir or Madam for a District Judge in a county court.

Costs of research, at £19 per hour, are normally only recoverable if you can establish that the other side have behaved unreasonably, as mandated in CPR 27.14(2)(g).

Failing to file and serve a WS in accordance with Court directions may be construed as unreasonable behaviour, but it's up to the Judge to make that call.

Mileage at 45p per return mile, and parking near the court are both recoverable as ordinary costs, as is loss of earnings up to £95 per day if applicable.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Gin_and_Milk
    Options
    Thanks Bargepole, fingers crossed the judge feels GS have behaved unreasonably!
    I won't be that bothered if not as long as we win. I suppose even if we lose I can breathe a sigh of relief that the whole thing is over, providing that the judge doesn't adjourn, but after reading about an entirely separate case that he dealt with I don't think he will. That and the fact I was informed by the court that they are currently in arrears with stuff at the moment.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    devonlad wrote: »
    Ref coupon mads point about the NTK and time frames i.e. when they can access dvla information. could anyone highlight what the time frames are for a postal pcn.
    Hi all been a while but have been poorly.

Good luck Gin and milk

I believe that information can be found in the NEWBIES thread and in the POFA 2012.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business