Money Moral Dilemma: Should I leave my inheritance to just my daughter?

Options
Former_MSE_Nick
Former_MSE_Nick Posts: 463 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 30 August 2016 at 11:03AM in Marriage, relationships & families
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I have a daughter and a stepson with my wife. Given that my stepson is due to inherit from his father one day, does it seem wrong to leave my own inheritance entirely to my daughter? I would suggest my and my wife's estate be split 50/50 with my half going to our daughter, and her half being split between our daughter and her son.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• bagby
    bagby Posts: 828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 August 2016 at 1:51AM
    Options
    I've got a similar situation and think this is the fairest way of doing it. I intend to tell all the children what we are doing so it won't come as a surprise (if I ever get round to making a will). If I go first and husband inherits all he has said he would divide equally between all four as they are all his children and although I can see his reasoning not too sure about it. I await other people's views.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where wills and inheritance are concerned, you can NEVER rely on other people - however much you love and think you know them - to do the 'right thing'.
  • kazt2006
    kazt2006 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Spend it before you die and if not leave it to charity! Saves the heartache!
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    Forget about fairness and do what you feel is right. Sorry to be frank about it, but if you don't feel that connection with your stepson, don't leave him anything, especially if he will get something from his father's side.

Also, what's the value of the estate you'll be leaving behind? Not knowing that, I would go with what you suggested giving 50% to your daughter and the rest to your wife. Will be interesting though to know more about what you'll be leaving behind as that would make a massive difference.
  • MarieWilliams70
    Options
    My husband has two children and we have one child together. We have made a will and I have left my half to my son while my husbands share is split three ways as obviously they have another parent to inherit from also. I think it's the fairest way.
  • Susan_Horne
    Options
    I agree that you should leave your half of your joint estate to your own children . Your wife will leave her half to her children, one of which is your joint child, and your stepson's father will leave his estate, or half his estate if he has remarried, to his own children. Your daughter will not get a share of your godson's father, so why should you give a share of yours to your godson.
  • sherri01
    sherri01 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation as I have 3 children & my partner has 2, we agreed early in our relationship that I would leave my share to my children & he would leave his share to his children. I do have a will but as the house is solely mine and to avoid any issue should I die first we intend to sell the house and any profit will be shared equaly between myself and my children, both sets of children do have other parents to inherit from so we believed this was fair.
  • DibDabDeb
    Options
    Having remarried after the death of their partners, and buying a house with equal shares, my mother and stepfather left the house to the surviving partner, with their wills leaving any other assets to the offspring (all adults by then).
    My mother told my sister and I about it, but my stepfather didn't make it clear to his children. At his death, (ahead of my mother), they were expecting a share of the property. As he'd also put all bank accounts into joint names, there wasn't anything left for them. It lead to bad feeling, at a time when people were dealing with grief, & could have been avoided with a bit of forethought.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why tell people what you've decided?

It's shocking that people expect to inherit. It's a gift, not a right.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    bagby wrote: »
    I've got a similar situation and think this is the fairest way of doing it. I intend to tell all the children what we are doing so it won't come as a surprise (if I ever get round to making a will)..

Make a will immediately! Even just a basic 'letter of wishes' can help untangle things after you're gone. There are cheap options out there for making a will, but please, get something in writing with your signature witnessed by two people not mentioned in the will. My best friend is currently dealing with a very complicated situation on the death of her brother, he died intestate with property abroad and no fewer than three women claiming to be his partner, it's a right mess already and they haven't even had the funeral yet.

Please, sort it out, see Martin's advice about wills ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure