BREXIT - Why?

Options

Comments

• veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mollycat wrote: »
    I don't know if you guys have noticed with all that frothing at the mouth, but all the sensible people have left the thread ;)

Probably through hindsight and some of the embarrassing things they've posted.

Lets hope Paxman gives us more of an independent view tonight.
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Lets hope Paxman gives us more of an independent view tonight.

Paxman is a very knowledgeable, well-informed and sensible presenter and his opinions about this issue are well known and has already been stifled by the BBC.

BBC pressure leads Paxman to bin article criticising EU

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-pressure-leads-paxman-to-bin-article-criticising-eu-5f2nmxd8s

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3579462/Jeremy-Paxman-WITHDRAWS-article-critical-European-Union-issue-Radio-Times-pressure-BBC.html

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/668348/Jeremy-paxman-article-brexit-british-sovereignty-eu-european-union-radio-times-binned

Jeff
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What I can't get my head around is that David Cameron insisted that if he did not get what he wanted at the negotiations that he would recommend leaving the EU. He didn't get any real changes but then recommended staying in the EU. WHY? I feel the French and German government are cosset buddies and laugh at the UK but quite happy to take our billions.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • uk1
    Options
    For those that are undecided and are sensible, then the deciding factor should be the high number of economists telling us we must stay. So we must leave. My rationale is simple. Mainstream economists have ALWAYS got it wrong. They have ALL missed the bigger issues and crises until they had arrived and gone. They all had excuses.

With so many of these people saying we'd be better in than out, surely that must be based on track record alone good enough proof that we will be better off outside?

QED.

Economists have a century of failure behind them. No wonder they back Remain now

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/18/economists-have-a-century-of-failure-behind-them-no-wonder-they/?WT.mc_id=e_DM120210&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Pol_New_EU&utm_source=email&utm_medium=Edi_Pol_New_EU_2016_05_19&utm_campaign=DM120210

:D

Jeff
  • littld
    littld Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    doe808 wrote: »
    The bookies say you are wrong.

They dont often get this stuff wrong

I placed a £25 bet on the Tories getting a majority and it paid off. I wish I'd bet more!
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If we leave there will be nuclear war, a plague of zombies and a drop in house prices, so the young should vote leave. Why spend good money on a PC game when you have real zombies to shoot?

The IMF say to stay in and predict chaos if we leave. They said when the Tories got in (with the Liberals) that their polices would cause a recession. The opposite was the case, and they had to admit to having got it totally wrong. And we listen to these people? Economics is known as the dismal science, for good reason.
  • uk1
    Options
    It is hardly suprising that the IMF are in favour of us remaining as Christine Lagarde (the current CEO) was France's Trade Minister and then Minster of Agriculture ie one of the great honeypots of EU funding .... and then the head of French economic policy!

Last December, the French courts (CJR) ordered Lagarde to stand trial before it for alleged negligence in handling the Bernard Tapie case arbitration approval. 403m euros was involved.

She is hardly likely to be for an exit is she! :D

Jeff
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    justme111 wrote: »
    what a shame we can not have paid annual leave without being a member of EU:o
    If we leave do you think our annual leave would tend more towards USA or European levels since US is quoted so much as an ideal?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • netlang
    netlang Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 May 2016 at 12:24PM
    Options
    This has been a difficult decision for me and I have struggled with what decision to make. I really am on the fence on this one.

I happened to explain my dilemma to someone who is directly employed by the European Commission and I was told if they were wearing their professional hat then we must vote to remain but from a very personal view they said we have to vote exit as this is the only way the EC will be “shocked” into changing the way this organisation is run and it really does need changing big time. They went on to say that they believed the UK would “not be allowed” to leave as if we vote out in the referendum then other countries whom are equally disillusioned with the way the EU is run would likely demand the large changes. The changes they would be calling for would then most probably keep the majority of the UK electorate happy to vote remain in a second referendum.

An interesting viewpoint I thought.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 May 2016 at 12:58PM
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    If we leave do you think our annual leave would tend more towards USA or European levels since US is quoted so much as an ideal?

I do not know. I have no opinion on the matter of what annual leave is better. Law of conservation of energy says that nothing appears from nowhere - citizens are bound to pay for increased annual leave in some way , be it difficulties for small businesses or lower basic pay or more unemployment or whatever else. It is irrelevant in any case.
    I like Singapore's laws on litter disposing , should we join Singapore and become their province then ? When one likes some laws one incorporates them into one's legislation , not joins other entity that has them already .
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure