No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries March 2016

Options
Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you toDolly84! for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let’s make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for March and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly!

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared !!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!
WBA - Will Buy Again
UU - Use Ups
IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014

January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
September 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
August 2015
September 2015
October 2015
November 2015
December 2015
January 2016
February 2016
The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)

Comments

• seasideDreamer
    Options
    Thanks for starting us off Maddie:T I'm IN again, its been a slow start to the year but am getting through the moisturizer if nothing else at the minute in an attempt to preserve my tan:)
    Debt free and busy treating myself:)

No more toiletries/make up until I've used what I've got stashed since Jan 2011, graduated October 2012. Restocked Dec 13..damn those sales
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 February 2016 at 11:56PM
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread, Maddiemay :)

PP list for March:

Pure Chimp Solid Shampoo Bar
    Dove Straightening Serum
    Good Things Five Minute Facial Face Mask
    Garnier Anti Blemish Foam Wash
    Stella McCartney L.I.L.Y Perfume
    Soft and Gentle Wild Rose and Vanilla deodorant
    La Roche Posay Effeclar Duo Moisturiser
    B. Nourished Night Serum
    Simple Clear Skin Oil Balancing Moisturiser
    Yes To Cucumbers Facial Wipes
    Silvikrin Hairspray - this has been on the go for about five years, cos I never really bother with hairspray!

I just made a lip scrub with sugar and mango & banana smoothie. Very impressed by the results! Made my lips feel nice and tingly!
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for starting us off again maddiemay.

February was not such a great month in that I equalled my OUTs with INs however it was my birthday during this month so that explains some of the INs. Broken down it went like this:-

INs that I bought : 16
    Some were treats bought for myself ie the UD eyeliners but most of the items were things that we use and had run out of.

INS that were gifts/contained in beauty box/freebies (got a replacement lippie from Smashbox and a tube of hand serum from LE this month) : 29

UU: 42
    OUT items (sold) : 2
    TA: 2

My PP list for March:-

Carried over from Feb:-
    Clynol leave in conditioner
    Vichy Eye Cream

The rest of these items I want to work through though not sure they will go in March:-

TBS Tea Tree cleanser
    Elemis Lime Blossom Balancing Cleanser
    Darphin Micellar Water
    LG Bronze N Brighten
    Various soaps
    LG eyeliner
    Smashbox eyeliner
    L'Occitane perfume - Nerol I think

I have ended up with an abundance of cleansers lurking in the bathroom as they are all Emma's tried and tested and rejected items with the exception of the Elemis one which is my HG. Am using the TBS one in conjunction with a Soap and Glory one at night time. The Soap & Glory one is acting as my make up remover first and I'm quite pleased with how effective it is so far. Can't remember the name of it but it came in the OOTW kit. Am really disappointed by the Darphin Micellar Water and will probably use this to wash make up brushes with at some point.

I'm using the Bronze N Brighten as blush. It is way too dark to use as coverage all over at this time of year.

Have decided that I need to pull soaps out of my stash rather than shower gels as I don't want them to lose their fragrance.

The two eyeliners will go. I can't wind up the Smashbox one any more and the LG one breaks practically every time I use it. I should give in but I can't let it defeat me.

I have been working through a bottle of perfume a month and found this mini size (was a mag freebie) when tidying last weekend so will UU this. After that I'll choose a bottle that has the most fragrance in to tackle before the end of the month.

Of my Finish 6 by Spring challenge I only have back ups left which are the Seventeen highlighter (still going strong) , the Benefit Roller Lash which is getter drier and will be gone soon. The Benefit Dallas powder is still going strong and will probably not be finishedby 20 March.

The items I have really loved/hated this month are:-

Skincare : Love: Glycolic toners. Can't believe I have only just discovered these after moaning about how the LE one just didn't seem to do anything. Am enjoying using the Pixi and LE together.
    Hate: Micellar waters in general. None have done anything for me.

Make Up : Love : Bare Minerals Original Primer. Am using the NO 7 Instant Radiance? Primer at the mo and not enjoying as much. It's a different consistency - creamy - and my make up is not lasting as long as it does with the BM one.
    Hate: Those eyeliners I mentioned above. Will not be buying wind up ones again.

Bodycare: Love : Philosophy Gingerbread Girl body lotion. So so lovely. Hate: Jointly : Elemis Nourishing shower cream. Hate anything that smells of baby powder. I would have ebayed this but the bottle was dented. Lush Christingle - though if any Lush workers are reading it was gorgeous honestly!!

I do have a last few INs to declare from yesterday but were not fanciful purchases if you like:-

NYX lipliner in Jewel and Red. Got these to wear with the Avon matte lipsticks I got last week as they keep bleeding from my lips.

NYX eyeshadow stick in Milk

NYX cream lip colour in Creme Brulee.

All bought with AP points.

Also went to Superdrug yesterday and bought 3 100ml spray bottles and have decanted some of my Pixi Glow Tonic into one, decanted the last of the Avene cleanser mixed with water in another and Emma is to have the other to decant her Murad toner in. These were 3 for 2.

And finally, I have a UU and an OUT already today:-

UU: Lush Let the Good Times Roll. One of Emma's rejected cleansers. Tried it on my face last night and did not like the smell at all (odd toffee kind of smell). Used it as a body scrub this morning.

OUT: An Elemis Frangipani Moisture Melt Oil sold on Ebay.

So, I really need to be on a low buy this month although I am going to treat myself to the Glen Stefani blush palette as I have a gift card for John Lewis. It was sold out at weekend or I would have ordered it already. Somebody posted that they had this. Can you plesae post and let me know what your complexion is like. I've read reviews for this saying that it works better on fair or very fair skin. My foundation colour is warm beige and as I'll have to order this online I don't want it to be a dud.

Cheers everyone. Sorry for the long post but it's easier to post these when I have access to a keyboard.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi guys, had such a rubbish week but needed to drop in to report some UUs. Sorry to hear you have also had a bad week Gemzie, I hope things start getting better. Belated birthday wishes to all that I've missed, and welcome to the newbies that joined us at the end of Feb.

Now for my UUs:

L'Occitane Pivoine Sublime Cream 8ml: This seemed far too perfumed to put on my face so I used up as a hand cream. The joys of working outside with animals means my hands are always dry and cracked. WNBA.

Burts Bees Hand Salve: This smelled nice and herby when I put it on, but after about 5 minutes, my hands smelled of potato starch! I washed my hands and tried again to make sure it was the product and it was - bleurgh! WDNBA!

Garnier Micellar Water 400ml: This lasted absolutely ages and was fine but I don't want to keep buying from companies who sell to China, thus testing on animals. WNBA and have replaced with one from B.

BBW Pocket Bac Best Friends: This smelled lovely and fruity but half of it leaked in my pocket at work so it was a short and sweet enjoyment. WDBA.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am in again. I achieved my ten item a month goal for both Jan and Feb so I shall make ten items my goal for March too.
  • rdone
    rdone Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for starting us off this month MaddieMay!

I don't normally do a PP list but I have a few things I really want to target this month.

Benefit Stay Don't Stray Eye primer - Reaally picking the dregs out of this but it seems to be lasting forever!
    Liz Earle Skin Repair Moisturiser
    Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic
    Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish
    Superdrug Coconut Body Lotion

Sometimes I'm good at being in a habit with my skin care routine but I've been rubbish lately and my skin is showing it. So I want to target these to remind me to use them, hopefully putting it here will encourage!

I went into Lush yesterday to buy a mothers day gift and ended up buying myself two items
    Tangled hot oil treatment
    Rosy cheeks face mask

H2B will be in college tomorrow evening so I'm thinking of having a pampering night!
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

Debt: £14,896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Down to: £4,982.12 @ 08/06/2022
    Today: £14,256.23
  • lucia22
    lucia22 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't done my PP list yet but lots of products which I've almost finished, including 4 body lotions/butters, my Lush shower cream, a 500ml bubble bath bottle, 1 x Lidl hand cream, 1 x Superdrug Feminine Deodorant, an almost empty bottle of Ted Baker perfume, M&S aloe vera body scrub, a couple of hair conditioners, and a can of dry shampoo. It's all the products that are on their way out but aren't quite gone yet. I'm also going to use up some moisturiser sample sachets this week as it will get me off to a good start..

I've recently stocked up on Dove and Garnier body moisturisers and oils that were going cheap in Boots and Tesco clearance sections. I couldn't say no as they were substantially reduced and most were less than £2. Although I ended up buying some products last month that were too good a deal to miss, I'm glad I also used up 20. Feels like I'm making some progress with my stash.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2019 Total UU since 2016 - 396 | Total February UU - 1
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I would really like to join in this challenge. I have lots of items I need to use up before buying any more.

Good Luck for March everyone
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    VALM, I have the UD Gwen Stefani blush palette. I am fair in complexion, think Mont Blanc by NARS.
    The UD blushers are super pigmented, so you will probably be able to build up the colours. I literally just dab my blusher brush in the blush and that's plenty for me, anything more than that and it's too dark on my complexion. Do you have a Debenhams close to you? The Debenhams near me in Exeter has an UD counter and I was able to swatch the palette and see if I liked it before I asked for it for my birthday.
    The first blush called Cherry is quite a baby pink, so I don't know if that would suit a more medium complexion, but the rest of the colours would I'm sure. Angel is a gorgeous soft gold/champagne highlighter, Lo-Fi is more of a matte bronzer on me. OC is a nice peachy blush. Hush I use as a shimmery peachy/pink blush, but could also be used as a blush topper.

I don't want to say definitely get it, cos it's a lot of money to spend and it not do anything for you, but I feel like it would be ok for you. Unfortunately I've never been anything but pale, so I can't be 100% sure!!
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Lou85
    Lou85 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 March at 3:47PM
    Options
    I'm in again for this month.

It amazes me how much you lovely ladies get through in a month. It sounds like you are constantly beautifying yourselves!

I tend to stick to one thing until it's done. I'm a bit OCD like that. I don't like to have more than one thing opened. I currently have 2 cleansers on the go and it's stressing me out!

Deleted_User - I know what you mean about the animal testing. I do try to stay away from some products I know who do testing i.e. Avon but it's so hard to know everyone who is involved in this. I do feel strongly about it but I don't feel strongly enough to investigate absolutely everything I want to buy and then feel guilty about it because I don't have the time to do this. I've only just bought this misceller water and I really like it but what is the one you've replaced it with and is it good? If so, then I may change this and then I'll feel like I have a small victory!
    #27 £2016 in 2016 = £763.61

#42 £2 Savers Club = £160

*Savers Club not included in overall 2016 savings until the tin is opened and my estimates have been confirmed later in the year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure